Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£4.99

on 26 November 1999
Surrender by the Chemical Brothers is by far the dance album of the year so far and also the best effort yet from the twosome of Tom an Ed. Like the Basement Jaxx album, Remedy, it uses a wide variety of music. Just take the two ballads, Asleep from Day and Dream On compared to the hard dance track, Hey Boy Hey Girl. No song sounds remotely simialar at all and if you are looking for originality in a dance album, this is it. "Surrender" to your fianancial urges and BUY this album by the CHEMICAL BROTHERS as it is fantastic.
on 31 March 2000
This was my favourite album of 1999 and I'm still playing it to death now. It's got something for everyone, ranging from acid-bathed stompers (Hey Boy Hey Girl) to chilled, blissed-out tracks (Asleep From Day) to shake-your-head breakbeat (Let Forever Be). But the real stand-out (and my favourite) is Out Of Control, which sounds like I Feel Love and Blue Monday whisked up in a blender and left to mix for a while. Absolutely top, in other words - much like the album, really. Miss this and you'll be missing out on a true classic.
on 21 January 2008
Surrender is, for me, the album that defines the The Chemical Brothers, and builds on the exceptional production of Dig Your Own Hole. Surrender has mellower moments than Dig, but still contains belters such as "Music: Response", "Out of Control", "Hey Boy Hey Girl". These tracks demonstrate the Chemicals' ability to zap your mind and body of emotion, and absorb you completely in terrific, pumping dance music. But this is no ordinary dance album, for its musical nuances, beats and imagination make it a cut above the rest. "The Sunshine Underground" grows satisfyingly, and "Asleep From Day" and the title track provide tranquil moments to balance out the heavy, thumping drive of tracks like "Under The Influence". The Chemicals are at the top of their game here, losing their way with their next two albums, but, fortunately, back to their best on We Are The Night.
on 20 February 2002
When I first heard this album, I thought it was sensational. I enjoyed the Chemicals' previous two efforts but the relentlessness of the big beat sound became a little trying after a few listens. How wise the duo were to move away from such excess. This is - like all the best art - a varied experience - with crashing dancefloor anthems, superb chill-out ballads and many many changes of direction.
"Surrender" really stands head and shoulders over everything the Chemical Brothers have done, including their latest release, "Come With Us". More significantly, I have actually come to the conclusion that this could even be the best dance album of the past few years - exceeding even the excellence of 'Leftism" by Leftfield, "Dubnobasswithmyheadman" by Underworld and Orbital's "Insides".
on 11 February 2000
After seeing the Chems do their DJ set in the dance tent at Glastonbury 1999, I was instantly hooked. Imagine my joy when I purchased Surrender to find that it was basically the same set I leapt along to that night. With tracks such as Let Forever Be and Hey Boy Hey Girl, it's the best way to get in that clubbing mood on a Friday or Saturday.
on 22 April 2010
Since I was very young I have been exposed to music, but didn't gain an active interest in it until quite late on.

I was 14 at the time, in my first year of secondary school, and purchased this album, after hearing and liking a few of the songs on it.

A fantastic album. If you know and dig the Chemical Bro's vibe I don't need to describe their mastery of the electric, big beat sound, but I will say this album has aged incredibly well, and I still dig it now, over a decade after first sampling it!

So, for me, a very important album...it converted me to the wonders of music, and in my opinion is the best Chemical Bro's album...so if you are going to purchase one of theirs, make it this one.
on 22 February 2000
From the moment that the album rips into first gear you know you're in for a fine listening treat. It's not all absolute bass ripping and caomes out all the better for it. The Chemical Bros. are still trying out interesting samples and moving toward a new direction. When Hey Boy Hey Girl finally kicks in, it starts the good wind up of a *great* album. Loved it and can't wait to see them live.
on 22 February 2011
Bought this 10 years ago and just getting round to reviewing it now. I think it has stood the test of time very well and I still listen to 3-4 of the tracks on it regularly. If you are at all tempted by it then I would suggest going for it.
on 17 June 2013
arrived on time, as described, very happy with service.Used to have this albumn when it first came out and then got lost, so was good fathers day present and bring back some good memories :) Couldn't believe how much this was to buy on the high st - ouch!
would use seller again.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 May 2014
Great to hear this again after so many years! CD arrived in excellent condition, exactly as described, and cheaper than chips. I won't say it hasn't dated - it's very much of its time, but great fun and beautifully produced. Now, where did I put those glow sticks?
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse