4.0 out of 5 stars Coxon on top form
Published on 11 Feb 2006 by MR. J CHELMS

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable
This is a little cracker. Punchy pop/punk, much like Happiness in Magazines. If you enjoyed that album you will like this. I hope with the next album Coxon goes for something a little more challenging. This gets 3 instead of 4 stars in that despite being very good it does feel like a bit of a retread of Happiness. 'Standing on my Own Again' has some nice power chording...
Published on 28 April 2006 by T. Flint

4.0 out of 5 stars Coxon on top form, 11 Feb 2006
MR. J CHELMS (BUSHEY HEATH, HERTFORDSHIRE United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have been lucky enough to get an advanced copy of this album. Quite simply, regardless of whether you are a fan or not, this album is one for the collection, and the best thing I've heard this year. The album opens with the first single 'Standing On My Own Again' and from then on the album encompasses fast, punky, and rock numbers, whilst at the same time incorporating slow and melodic ballads. Coxon has nicely created a unique sound for himself after four albums, and this is his best work to date. Go out and get it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Much Slicker than before - Blur is errr just a Blur.., 23 Mar 2006
Although I would dearly love to give this 5 belting stars I will be reserving one (well if I could it would be a half star), as oddly enough I kinda miss the low-fi sound that he perfected in 'Happiness in Magazines'.
The dirty fuzzy distortion, and overamplified vocal has now been replaced by a slick production and bigger overall sound. However, once again the song writing and performances are sublime and it's an incredibly detailed and fulfilling album.
I really hope that Graham's big time is NOW (if he wants it) as he thoroughly deserves the accolades that he has sorely lacked so far.
As a sidenote, Graham played a MUCH bigger part in Blur than people may think, and although this shouldn't be compared in any way to the Blur catalogue, you should appreciate the fact that Graham's input was/is so apparant. His songwriting was unappreciated and listening to his back catalogue and now this album you can't begin to understand why he wasn't taken seriously
****.5 stars easy
His finest album to date, but more production may not neccesarily be the key.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best of Coxon so far, 13 Mar 2006
Liam (Maidstone, Kent United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Buy the Album!! - The Best of Coxon so far!
Great crafted songs (as usual) excellent production, Coxon provides some great riffs, great lyrics and melodies and with his much improved vocal performances. One of the most inventive guitarists/songwriters around for his genre!
Go get, you won't be disappointed

4.0 out of 5 stars Top stuff, 3 April 2006
By A Customer
Highly accessible, but not superficial, energetic punky songs, with a few slower or stranger numbers. These latter also work very well, making this an unusual phenomenon in this day: an album with no duff songs! Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than 'Don't Believe The Truth', better than 'X & Y'..., 12 April 2006
Ross (Clapham, London) - See all my reviews
If you liked 'Happiness in Magazines' (and who wouldn't?) then you'll love this! More consistently rewarding than any Blur album, this record delivers one poppy punk gem after another.

Achingly heartfelt and melancholic love ballads ("It's so lonely to love someone" sighs Graham on 'Just A State of Mind') collide with energised, knowing, Buzzcocks to the power of 11 punk rock songs like 'I Can't Look at Your Skin'.

By the time you reach the end of this album you're already missing the opening songs and repeat play like a never ending serpent swallowing it's tail.

I promise you there are no duff tracks here, but the crowning glory is the closing ballad 'See A Better Day'. Boiled down to the purest essence of direct simple pop perfection since 'Songbird' by Oasis, this song will leave even the hardest heart in tatters.

Buy it!

4.0 out of 5 stars Graham Coxon - seems to be sussing out this mainstream punk business, 4 Feb 2007
Track 1 ~ Standing on My Own Again: The first single off the new album. I didn't like it at first, but it's grown on me a lot. A fairly repetetive guitar riff carries on through this track, but it all fits together well. 8/10

Track 2 ~ I Can't Look at Your Skin: Simple and upbeat, bits of this track remind me very slightly of The Clash, even though Graham Coxon sounds absolutely nothing like Joe Strummer. It's a bit obvious listening to the first half of the track that he's going to stick a guitar solo in somewhere, he always does with this type of track. 7/10

Track 3 ~ Don't Let Your Man Know: Similarly upbeat and punk-influenced. Has a solid bass-line and a decent chorus. 7/10

Track 4 ~ Just a State of Mind: One of the few slow tracks on the album, with a chorus that sticks in your head. There's a good little bridge after the chorus, or maybe that's actually the chorus... who knows... 8/10

Track 5 ~ You And I: I think this is his next single. A happy-sounding song, with a similar sort of simple guitar pattern to the previous tracks. 8/10

Track 6 ~ Gimme Some Love: A good intro, leading into a good punk rock track. A very simple, catchy chorus. One of the better tracks on the album. 8.5/10

Track 7 ~ I Don't Wanna Go Out: The highlight of the album. If you like the Arctic Monkeys, you'll definitely love this track. It's a similar style, but much better than any track Arctic Monkeys have recorded. Great guitar riffs throughout and bridge towards the middle of the track is excellent. My brother pointed this track out to me when he bought the album as the best track Coxon has recorded and I think I might agree with him, it's certainly on a par with "Freakin' Out" (From "Happiness in Magazines") and "That's When I Reach For My Revolver" (From the "Golden D" album). 10/10 Best of 2006 in my opinion

Track 8 ~ Don't Believe Anything I Say: An acoustic guitar accompanies this track, there's not really much to say. It's not the most exciting track ever, the chorus isn't bad though and the guitar solo livens things up a little bit. 6/10

Track 9 ~ Tell It Like It Is: That whole repetetive strumming thing that comes up in the verses of this track is a bit too common in this album and the previous one. The track goes somewhere at the chorus though. 6/10

Track 10 ~ Flights To The Sea (Lovely Rain): The second slow track of the album, with an acoustic guitar, bass and some drums, and a couple more instruments that chip in here and there, a flute for example. Coxon goes for some fairly high notes in this one and - although he sounds like he's straining a bit - he gets there. 8/10

Track 11 ~ What's He Got: Sounds similar to half the other tracks on the album, both in sound and pattern (ie. verse, chorus, verse, chorus, solo, chorus x2). 6/10

Track 12 ~ You Always Let Me Down: A bit different, with an organ that comes in now and again. Definitely one of the album's better tracks. He just seems to let himself go a bit more in this track than the ones that sound "samey". 8/10

Track 13 ~ See A Better Day: A slow track to finish the album. I like this track. 8/10

Average Track Score ~ 7.58

Originality: Given that this album is quite similar to his previous one, and it is a more mainstream sound than he used to have, it's not going to score particularly highly. He definitely has a punk sound in his recent albums, whereas his earlier albums were a lot more experimental. 5/10

Variety: Too many tracks that sound too similar to each other. At least he does manage to throw a few slow tracks in there. It seems as though Coxon has gained recognition as a solo artist with his two most recent albums, but that has come at the expense of a great deal of variety it seems. 5/10

Overall, a good album and well worth the puchase if you liked "Happiness in Magazines", but expect to hear quite a few filler tracks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Melo-d, 7 Aug 2006
Melo-d (United kingdom) - See all my reviews
What a fantastic album! I cannot stop listening to it. Coxon is a real talent and hearing his solo work has really made me reflect on how important an influence he was in cultivating Blurs sound. I liked Blur .... but I like this more!!!!!. I particularly love the PUNK influences on this album, while Flights to the sea ( track 10) is just beautiful!!!!!!. I saw him play for free!!!!!! in London at RISE festival and he was amazing, his performance only spoilt by some MORON throwing a can at him. After seeing him perform live I ran out and bought this album. BUY this you will not regret it and if you haven't got it...... get (Happiness in Magazines).

5.0 out of 5 stars KEEPING THE PUNK POP FLAG FLYING, 16 Mar 2006
Matthew Richardson "raferjanders" (Shepperton) - See all my reviews
Unlike Graham's previous album which demanded your attention immediately, LTAIS is a "grower". Not that this is a bad thing because the songs are just beginning to open up and yield their secrets for me.
Graham has developed his English whine into a classic punk whine in the vein of Pete shelley or John Lydon and indeed appears to have found some confidence in his childlike voice at last. The songs too are more confident and brash especially when you compare them to his earlier work. He has evolved into a decent singer-songwriter with a good ear for a hook.
The influences here are mainly The saints, Buzzcocks and Pistols, so if you're a fan of late 70's early 80's punk - climb aboard!
Opening with jagged guitar riffs in most cases, the songs are on the whole, the kind of pop that makes you want to pogo up and down. In fact the first 3 do exactly that, particularly I can't look at your skin with its sneering lyrics. It slows down at track 4, Just a state of Mind for some musings on loneliness/unhappiness etc but it doesn't last long and kicks straight in again with the excellent You and I.
Coxon uses much the same mix of berserk solos and clanging chords as he did previously, however, he does incorporate a few experiamental moments into the songs such as I don't wanna go out which has a vocal effect and dissolves in the middle.
Don't beleive anything i say is wonderfully self-analytical and contains a great chromatic descent and some of his best singing.
Obviously the theme of the album is Love and sometimes outright lust - Don't let your man know and jealousy - What's he got? Graham brings this off with his usual mix of injured innocence, spiky melancholia and wry wit.
I can't say whether this is better than HIM and I give this 5 stars for the DVD and interviews which are great for guitarists/graham disciples like me. otherwise i would give it 4.
I really hope it comes off for him this year, he has another great album to promote and I can't wait to see him in Brighton again as I did in 2004.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album from an amazing artist, 25 Nov 2013
Alan Frehley - See all my reviews
Graham Coxon is the best guitarist of his generation. VERY under-rated and often over-looked outside Blur. This album showcases his talents with fast, catchy songs that have a pop/punk feel to them, almost like The Buzzcocks in parts.
Excellent offering from Graham, just excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars Genuine Quality, 24 Aug 2007
Cuban Heel "Neil Schiller" (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I was never a huge fan of Blur but I did like the single that Graham sang on - 'Coffee and TV'. I'd heard a few good things about his solo output and bought 'Happiness in Magazines' which I thought was pretty good but a bit hit and miss. It was good enough anyway for me to give this album a go and I'm glad I did because it really is fantastic. It's absolutely full of ideas and raw energy. I heard a rumour he played all the instruments himself - I don't know how true that is but it would make sense as the music just sounds really compact and finely tuned.

Don't be too put off if I say this reminds me of Elvis Costello or The Jam - it's more in the attitude and what I can probably only call 'Britishness' than the music itself. There is a kind of 'mod', sixties/seventies, intelligent punk charm to it all. I put the cd on during a stag weekend recently and had everyone converted within about 10 minutes. Because it just distills about 30 years of music history into 13 quality tracks. This guy is a genuine talent and I really hope this is the first sign of him hitting his peak. Another album like this and he'll officially be a national treasure...