4.0 out of 5 stars Good within its limits
Published on 17 July 2011 by Hounddogman

1.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the job
I have recently discovered that I have an intolerance to gluten and decided to make my own sausages.
As I am only making small quantities I thought this meat mincer would be ideal, especially as it came with a sausage making attachment....it was obviously designed for the purpose for which I intended.

I managed to make a batch of sausages but it was very...
Published on 4 July 2012 by Jimlard

4.0 out of 5 stars Good within its limits, 17 July 2011
This review is from: Home Made Cast Iron Mincer No.8 (Kitchen & Home)
Clearly there must be (or have been) some quality control or supplier problems with this. Deciding I wanted, on retirement, to try my hand at classic French recipes (and inspired by Tony Bourdain's "Les Halles" book) I wanted to make pates, so I needed a mincer. Not wanting to spring the money for an electric one I bought this, not least because it appeared to be a dead ringer for the Spong mincer my parents had 50 years ago.

It works. It can be a little tricky to assemble (make sure you have the four prong chopper behind the extrusion disc the right way round), everything properly seated and you need to tighten the table attachment screw quite hard (I used my kitchen steel as a lever inserted in the attachment screw handle to get a couple of extra turns). None of the troubles reported here although you do have to push the meat down into the funnel to make sure the screw drive engages it (watch your fingers!). Mincing is slow but effective (two pounds of pork pate mix took about 20 minutes) with no great effort needed to turn the handle. You need to cut the meat chunks fairly small for it to work properly (no bigger than 1" all round) but that ought to be common sense.

You DO need to clean this by hand soon after doing the mincing AND then dry and lightly oil the cutting chopper and the extrusion disk. They appear to be made of carbon steel, which is more durable and retains its edge longer than stainless but it rusts very easily (e.g. even if you dry them thoroughly the damp air of a kitchen will rust them without oil). Use cooking oil or use one of those one-cal spray things. DON'T put it in the dishwasher. My ordinary washing up tools (a brush and scrubber) did the job with no problems. This is neither difficult nor rocket science. The body of the mincer is cast iron covered with paint so if it gets chipped it may rust, it's also possible that the paint might flake in the dishwasher. None of the problems mentioned here, many of which have arisen because, I suspect, people these days have forgotten (or never knew) that you need to respect your tools and treat them properly. Tools rust if you neglect them. Hey, who knew!

I'm now considering a move up to an electric one only because I'm now mincing a lot more regularly (that Bourdain pate recipe is foolproof, produces sensational results and is infinitely variable for a wide range of meat mixtures). In addition you might want to think why supermarket mince (or butcher mince) is so cheap: it's because they put a load of stuff (some of which you definitely wouldn't want to know about) in it they couldn't sell on its own. But if I wasn't I'd be perfectly happy to carry on using this.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not up to the job, 4 July 2012
This review is from: Home Made Cast Iron Mincer No.8 (Kitchen & Home)

I managed to make a batch of sausages but it was very hard work.
The mincer attaches to your worktop with a clamp, I found this kept coming loose as you exerted force on the handle whilst mincing.
The auger seems a poor fit in the casing, this results in your meat getting pulped in the chamber instead of being forced through the mincing plate.
The cutting blade didn't cut, instead meat would be smeared across the inside of the mincing plate constantly blocking the holes. I had to frequently remove the plate to unblock the holes so I could carry on mincing....a right faff. I tightened up the locking ring to see if it would improve the cutting blades performance but it just resulted in the nylon auger washer wearing away and depositing bits of plastic into the meat.
I have returned the mincer and have just orded a Porkert manual mincer.

EDIT: My Porkert mincer arrived today, I have just minced three kilo's of pork. It looked like mince and not mush, the mincing plate didn't clog once as the cutting blade fits correctly, I experienced no pork being forced back up the auger and into the feed hole. It's not until I used this mincer that I realise how bad the Kitchen Craft mincer is. I highly recommend a Porkert hand mincer to anyone reading these reviews to decide on which make to buy.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish, 19 Nov. 2009
R. C. Everitt (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Made Cast Iron Mincer No.8 (Kitchen & Home)
Beware, Biggest load of rubbish under the sun. The inner feed screw is to small for the outer casing, the spindle that locates in the front sieve is off centre and has worn away leaving bits of metal in the meat. Had to sharpen the cutting blade and sieve before any resemblance if mincing could be achieved. Sausage filling is an effort as mentioned the inner feed screw is to small for the outer housing thereby not feeding the mince properly. The overall casing and manufacture of the unit is of a poor and bad quality. Not expected from a "Kitchen Craft" brand name. Kitchen Craft ICast Iron Meat Mincer No.8 with Sausage Making Attachment

5.0 out of 5 stars good value, a couple of tips:, 28 May 2012
This review is from: Home Made Cast Iron Mincer No.8 (Kitchen & Home)
I already have an electric mincer 75kg per hour and 8kg stuffer and used to make a lot of sausages on a regular basis. Now with just two of us at home and i no longer make and sell large quantaties decided to buy a smaller unit. Firstly i dried a white baguette and using the smallest bore mincer plate made the bread crumbs which were a good consistancy, i then put the pork through the largest bore mincer plate i then mixed in the herbs, salt, pepper and sundried tomatoes in olive oil ( in a bowl) and pushed it through the middle bore plate to give an even mix. Finaly i took out the cutter and mincer plate attached the sausage maker attachment pushed the mix through into the skins job done in about two hours including clean up.Sounds easy and it is with a bit of practice just a couple of tips real important you MUST set the cutter against the mincer plate before you start mincing, turn the handle you will hear them touching it is then set properly, the other way is to screw the securing ring as tight as you can by hand and turn the handle it will be hard or impossible to turn the handle then just slacken off the securing ring until you can turn the handle comfortably it should be about right then.If the meat comes through as mush or not at all clean and reset as the cutter and plates are to far apart. Don't rush the job and it all falls into place i hope this helps. I made about 4lbs this time excellent for home use.

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless waste of Money, 19 Dec. 2010
R. Ryan (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Made Cast Iron Mincer No.8 (Kitchen & Home)
We tried this product today for the first time after having purchased it over a month ago, the grinder didn't do what it says on the tin !!
You need to have 3 hands to use it, the inner attachments are out of line and therefore allow the blade to grind the sides of the grinder making the inner metal mix with your meat ...yum yum ...sausages with flecks of metal and cheap silver paint coating.
It's now off to the local recycling unit to the used metals section.
Don't buy this as it's poorly put together. As the old adage says spend a little get nothing !

1.0 out of 5 stars low quality home mincer, 3 July 2011
I. P. Baughen "Iain" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Home Made Cast Iron Mincer No.8 (Kitchen & Home)
This mincer struggles to blend meat with any fat content at all, needed if you intend to make sausage, it will just seize up and stop working until you dismantle it and remove all the half minced meat fat. The mincing discs rust after one or two washes and metal grindings are released from the grinding discs into your food after one or two uses. I strongly recommend avoiding this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, 15 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Home Made Cast Iron Mincer No.8 (Kitchen & Home)
This mincer was absolutely what we wanted to mince meat for pork pies, but the one problem we had was that it wouldn't fit onto our worktop or dining table. It was only fractionally too small but enough to be a problem, in the end we found a small folding table that it fitted and the mincing part is excellent. Obviously worktops have got deeper since this was designed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mince made easy!, 12 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Home Made Cast Iron Mincer No.8 (Kitchen & Home)
This is a really excellent bit of kit. We've used it several times now and it made really short work of turning a lot of meat in to the most tasty and healthiest burgers I have eaten in my life! As well as some other really tasty dishes.
I wasn't sure whether to get one based on the other reviews, but I think this design must have changed slightly since some of the earlier comments. The clamp was easily wide enough to clamp over our worksurface and even had an additional rubber pad (which isn't pictured) to protect the worktop. All the parts fitted together easily, and it worked really well.
We have taken on board other peoples hints and we make sure we wash it very carefully and then apply sunflower oil over all the internal parts to ensure that it wont corrode.
All in all I am so pleased with this purchse - I haven't found a single negative point yet. It's really changed how I shop and how I eat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 11 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Home Made Cast Iron Mincer No.8 (Kitchen & Home)
this has obviously been improved dramatically from the comments and from what I've got in fact it is different from the photograph on the site the clamp space is much wider fitting all work surfaces and the packaging looks a lot nicer to with some Italian feel this is a great mincer and as I make a lot of my own sausages I should know.This also comes with three blades can make course medium and fine mince or sausages

1.0 out of 5 stars mincer no go, 15 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Home Made Cast Iron Mincer No.8 (Kitchen & Home)
IF ANY OF YOUR SURFACES ARE MORE THAN 1-1/4 INCHES THICK THIS WILL NOT FIT. VERY CRUDELY MADE WOULD HIDE IT IN A CUPBOARD SO NOT TO BE SEEN.COULD NOT SEE IF IT WORKED WELL AS I COULD FIT IT ANYWHERE.

Home Made Cast Iron Mincer No.8