on 2 March 2013
If you are reading this, you probably own a Cobb barbecue, but if you haven't got one yet, don't hesitate to aquire one - you will not regret it. This 'cobblestone' fuel takes away all of the negatives of charcoal barbecuing, being easy to light, burning cleanly and with very little smoke after the first couple of minutes and burning out to a small amount of fine white ash that is very easy to dispose of when cold. The cobblestones burn for at least 2 hours and reach cooking heat very quickly. When we are away in our camper, we usually barbecue the food that we are about to eat, then whilst we are eating it, we barbecue tomorrow's meat or fish to have cold with salad the next day and then finally we bake a couple of shop bought pizzas for snacks. You really have to do this to achieve any notion of value for money, as the cobblestones are so blooming expensive. When we first bought them year before last, they worked out at £1 each, but now, sadly, are just too expensive to be practical on a longer camping trip. I do note one reviewer's suggestion to use halves, but when my husband tried to get a clean break on a cobblestone, it crumbled. Absolutely great though for picnics away from base and for meals on the beach, as both the Cobb and this fuel are so light and neat to carry and the food for the barbecue fits inside the Cobb....roll on summer!
on 22 November 2012
If you own a Cobb, these are well worth spending the extra money on. I have tried normal BBQ charcoals on it, but for me, the fact that they are ready to cook on after just 5 minutes makes them indispensable when we are away in caravan- no waiting half an hour for normal charcoals to get up to heat. I have also found the food has cooked more evenly using these Cobble Stones instead of charcoals, but that may just have been me ;)
on 21 August 2013
I use charcoal briquettes at home but when on holiday I use cobblestones because no-one wants to wait half an hour to be able to cook on either the beach or in the middle of nowhere in the yorkshire dales! OK they are a bit pricey but certainly worth it for the convenience.
on 18 July 2014
The product is good (if you have a Cobb BBQ - which you should have) but boy is it expensive. It fits the fire tray as one would expect and is easy to light. A little smoke on start-up then smoke free. Heats up fast and provides cooking heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Not really cost effective for just doing a couple of steaks. Smaller that a bag of charcoal however so that's a plus.
on 28 February 2014
Great product. As described, for use with your Cobb bbq. Stand well clear after lighting - unexpected whoosh! as the cobble stone ignites (charcoal+ anthracite etc provide a powerful package!). Great for joints or items needing extended cooking. For short bursts of cooking, use charcoal alone, on cost grounds.
on 3 September 2013
We have used normal briquettes with our cobb but these are definitely worth paying a bit more for as they are so much easier and cleaner to use.
on 5 August 2013
The Cobb BBQ is by far the best bbq I have seen and the ease of using the Cobblestones makes it even better. No longer do you have to wait for an hour for the briquettes to be ready to cook on. The cobblestones are ready in a few minutes and no fat ever drips on the fuel causing smoke.
on 14 July 2010
found it a bit hard to light at first, as it's suposed to light in the centre without a firelighter, think I've got the hang of it now, cooked a chicken and a shoulder of lamp and found it cooked for over two hours as claimed
on 29 September 2014
Excellent 'stone' for the Cobb Barbi', light easily and burn very very well...in fact truth be told they burn for too long and the barbi becomes a patio heater after all the food has gone! Still nice to finish the vino along side of ! Would have been a definate 5 star except for the cost when delivered!
on 21 August 2013
They do a good job if you don't need more than 1 1/2 hrs. of good heat. The original Cobblestones were much better, lasted longer ( easily 2 hrs. + of good heat) and were easier to light. They are now far too expensive. I was a real fan but I won't be buying any more of these.