on 28 September 2012
I only own a handfull of recordings that I feel confident will always remain my favourite version of a piece (Leinsdorf's Choral Symphony and Kleiber's Brahms 4th spring to mind) but this is one. Perlman plays beautifully here and is ably backed up by the BPO. For once a great virtuoso performance is backed up by superlative sound; the digital recording is first rate and this live recording is given great clarity, yet with no audience noise until the clapping at the end. The romances for violin (which are studio recorded) lack some spontaniety in comparison but are still very fine.

For me this is a definitive recording. The nature of music is that one listener's masterpiece is another's disaster, but I have no hesitation in recommending it.
on 29 October 2007
While I do not think there is ever such a thing as a perfect recording (even if one is "definitive"), this is as close as you can get! Barenboim is a master in interpretting Beethoven, the Berliner Philharmoniker are, without a doubt, one of the world's best orchestras, and Perlman is an amazing virtuoso violinist, possessing such beautiful sound.

The result: Beethoven's lyrical violin concerto sounding "as it should" - the tempi are perfect, and there is so much expression. The soloist is never drowned by the orchestra, which is a possible danger with concertos. The way Perlman plays the famous Kreisler cadenzas is unbelievable - fast, but not showy, with beautiful sound - really impressive.

What's more - the violin concerto is a LIVE RECORDING! That's real skill - not hundreds of retakes in a studio. Don't worry about noise from the audience - there is none, apart from the excellent "Bravo"s and applause that come at the end - I like that. The climactic finish and the playing of the whole provoke a "Bravo" or two!

What's more, this CD comes with studio recordings of the two romances for violin and orchestra, making this set complete - also excellent performances. Highly recommended!

(Customers who like this title may be interested in another excellent live performance by the same artists, playing Brahms - Violin Concerto; 4 Hungarian Dances. The video recordings of both concerts also available together on DVD: Beethoven/Brahms - Violin Concertos (Perlman, Barenboim) - it's quite interesting to see the masters at work!)
on 26 November 2012
This is a beautiful recording of an amazing piece of music. I am not an expert by any means - and am not a musician but I think I have a good ear - and I am highly susceptible and greatly moved by performances like this - that like the existence of fruit - to a non-believer like me, goes someway to prove the existence of god.
on 23 March 2004
This album was bought for me after I said I didnt like Beethoven. I have to admit I just didnt know Beethoven. Its the most wonderful album. Great tonic after a bad day or at the beginning of a weekend. Uplifting, inspirational, delightful.
Cant recommend higher.
on 7 October 2012
Purchased this to replace a much played vinyl copy. Saw Perlman play this many years ago. Performance and recording both excellent.
on 13 July 2014
What a combination, Beethoven, Perlman and Barenboim. I highly recommend this coming together of the musical geniuses.
on 6 December 2012
Beethoven's violin concerto is a great old warhorse, and every violinist of any merit will play it. Itzhak Perlman's version is the absolute best version I have ever heard. I would query the sound of the BPO under Barenboim. They seem to have lost the instantly recognisable quality of sound that they once had. Even so, this is an essential buy to any Beethoven or violin lover.
on 29 December 2015
I heard this on youtube......over a million views and decided to get it on CD.You get two 'romances' as well.Along with his 5th piano concerto and his 5th,6th and 9th symphony's i really recommend it.
on 14 February 2016
There have been many recordings of this exceptional violin concerto but this recording is brilliant and is a quite exceptional performance by by Itzhak Perlman and DANIEL BARENBOIM
on 6 September 2013
The combination of the talents of Daniel Barenboim and Itzhak Perl man is simply brilliant!!!There very few performers who could give such justice to Beethoven's Violin Concerto.