How have I not heard of this album before?

I have only owned this album for a fortnight but it has changed my musical expectations for ever.

The whole album is ramshackle craziness recorded by Junkies isn't it? Well actually yes it is but there's a whole lot more to it than that. For Anton to record this and to other superb albums in that year is unparalleled.

The mark of a great artist is to create something out if nothing. And that's what happens here. No money. No label. No problem......the songs must have come to him in a dream....one or two takes....let's just get it down man. They didn't realise just how good these songs were.

The final track, an album in itself, is a masterpiece. Somewhere between Dreamweapon and Street Hassle. Hey, that's a good place to be.
on 9 June 2014
The first 12 tracks seem like an album in them self, then the 13th track is 30mins long with 5 songs mixed into its length. The mood of the first 12 are more upbeat the 13th track is more downbeat but all said and done you get the FULL RANGE of THE BRIAN JONESTOWN MASSACRE on one album.
on 22 October 2013
This is a good album, although not as good, I believe, as Give It Back! Bit patchy in places but strong in the middle. The 33 minute single track at the end is made of several different songs and ambient sounds and is great!
on 18 January 2016
Good
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 March 2011
I liked the opening track of the TV series "Boardwalk Empire", investigated its origins and discovered the Brian Jonestown Massacre. My first purchase was the album "Take it from the man", which I really enjoyed and consequently played to death. I was similarly captivated by "Bravery, Repitition and Noise", which less raucous then my earlier purchase, was nonetheless brilliant. Therefore, it was with much expectation that I bought "thank god for mental illness". Parts of this album are more country folk than rock, and whilst the Donovan and Dylan influenced tracks aren't too bad, there're a couple that wouldn't go amiss at any barn dance.....and I don't mean that in a good way. When I first heard this album I hated it but it eventually grew on me. I have now learned to appreciate several positives, my favourite of which is the opening track "Spanish Bee". In fact, the album starts off strongly and I like the first three or four tracks. However, being no lover of country and western music, anyone who bothers to listen to this album will know where my enjoyment ceases. All said and done I'm glad I made the purchase but it's certainly not one I'd recommend to anyone else.
11 comment1 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse