1,116 Reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive
This is a great little gizmo, but what you are interested in is possibly why not to get it? So Up front, negative first.
Published on 30 April 2009 by Tom Crawford

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad
Published on 23 July 2008 by ED

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, 30 April 2009
Tom Crawford (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Belkin CoolSpot Cooling Stand for Laptops up to 17-inch - Black (Accessory)
1, It is a little noisier than i thought. Basically it is louder than my laptop fan, but to be honest you get used to it and don't notice it after a while. (Note this is in a dead quiet bedroom). If you have music on, or are using head phones, or in a space such as an office, you would never hear it
2, It uses a USB socket. This isn't bad, but as it does not come with an extra one, it means you have to either sacrifice one, or buy a hub. Solution = But the one with a 4 way hub.(Belkin Cooling stand with built in 4-Port Hi Speed USB 2.0 Hub, Black) But it is £11 more, and if you only ever use a memory stick or a USB mouse then this is not an issue anyway (also your wonderful laptop you are trying to save may have more than two USB ports.) (Moreover, you can just unplug it, and use the port, e.g. to get a file off you memory stick and plug it back in, as the fan gets up to speed in like 3 seconds!)
3- I have a 13.3" screen. A laptop any bigger would overlap this product. In all honesty this would not be too much of an issue unless you desktop replacement is 17" or more i reckon, cause then it may not be very stable.

Positives
1, Cheap, seems like great value for money.
2, Small and very light. So it is portable. Would fit in a bag or laptop case.
3, REALLY COLD. Cause of the wave shape, it appears to cool the whole underside of the laptop!
4, Comfortable on the lap. I am writing this with it on my lap, the fan is freezing my knees, no more lap burn!
5, Seems pretty safe. My laptop refuses to slip of it, except at silly angles.
6, Has a little stand, if you want to use it at a desk, to raise keyboard.
7, Looks smart, neat and tidy.

Conclusion: Well worth the money, and an excellent product! Shame i did not spot the USB hub edition (as mentioned) But so far so good! (Time will tell how durable it is, but i think it will last, as its beauty is in its simplicity.)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 23 July 2008
I bought this stand on a whim as my macbook was getting rather hot from overuse. It does exactly what it says, it keeps the laptop cooler, the fan appears to be very effective, blowing air onto the bottom of the laptop rather than trying to suck air away like many other coolers. All good thus far, however i will now be buying an ilap stand i think. The problem for me was that the fan was a bit too noisy, its not awful, but macbooks make no real noise so its very noticeable. In addition to this the stand, though not badly made, feels a little cheap and i know that given a bit of travelling i would have knocked it to pieces before too long. Finally the battery drain with the fan running is a little frustrating. If the noise isn't a problem and if your laptop is just going to sit on your desk all the time this is a great stand, otherwise look elsewhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Superb little cooler!, 1 Oct. 2008
Belkin Laptop Cooling Stand

I have been looking online for a cheap laptop stand so I could use my Inspiron 1525 in bed and on my lap without frying my legs. After much searching online I decided to get the Belkin laptop stand.

The stand is lightweight and it has surprised me how much air the fan can move. After any amount of use the whole laptop would feel hot to touch but with the stand running it feels much cooler all over.

This is a superb little cooler which I'd recommend for those who need a cooler to use on your lap as well as on a desk.

One negative thing is that a 15" laptop is about the largest it would take so for those of you lucky enough to have a larger laptop it would be best to look elsewhere!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 15 Feb. 2009
M. Dixon (England) - See all my reviews
I bought this based on other reviews and having looked at the other products.

When I received it - I was very happy as I was expecting a white item as displayed - and I received a black one!!!

Its an excellent shape as already reviewed and the fan blows ON to the base of your laptop rather than trying to draw heat away from it which I seem to think is a better system.

Its very quiet and so far is keeping my laptop VERY cool - before this my keyboard could become very hot to the touch, I have a higher spec laptop Asus F3SA on which I do renders and animation and got VERY hot even when it was sat on a steel pan trivet to try to improve airflow.

The laptop I'm currently using is a 15.4" screen and has no trouble sitting on the stand even if it has a slight overhang. Also the adjustable position is an improvement for typing.

Cons? The lack of extra USB ports - this cooler would be awesome if it was a combi cooler / USB expander.

The cable cover and leg seem a bit "cheap" as compared to solidity of the product also the USB cable needs to be plugged into the unit as well as the your laptop - and this could easily go astray if you are travelling.

Summery - Don't be put off by the single fan as compared to the other products with 2 or 3 fans as this is excellent value for money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Chilling machine, 19 Aug. 2011
My laptop has a peculiar heating problem. it has common sink between its processor and graphics chip (dell 1558). So i decided to opt for a laptop cooling pad. While searching across net, i found that Belkin is only brand comes to compete with cheap non branded laptop coolers. Other like logitec or sony were too costly.
Although this pad is not enough for 15" laptop, the 17" model of the cooling pad is not widely available. My laptop has already ergonomic curved surface at the back so it slips sometimes. But my other laptop which one is flat sticks well to rubber pad. I managed to fit my 15.4 laptop with some custom fitments myself.

People were complaining about its noise, but given my laptops high end config it already produces lot of fan noise. so this guys hums with them.

So I'm just categorizing based on pros n cons

Pros,
1. Light weight.
2. Real chiller, really keeps my laptop and lap cool
3. Ergonomic design. Fits well on lap or on flat surface.
4. Good grip for flat laptops.

Cons,
1. Not quite suitable for 15" laptop.
2. Stand topples sometimes
3. does not have sturdy feeling.

at the end i would say its a worth product to try but a complete satisfaction.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the size shown, 25 Jan. 2011
The dimensions shown for this are not correct.
It actually measures 29cm wide x 28.5cm tall which is quite small.
My 15.5 inch laptop struggles to stay balanced on it.
It would suit an old style 4:3 laptop (squarer) better than a new 16:9 type (longer and narrower).
Also the flip out back leg which gives it the angle, does not click into position.
This means that if you move it, the leg falls down and dislodges your laptop.
The positioning depends entirely on the projecting feet on the bottom of your laptop model.
They will sometimes drop right on the edge of this stand and drive you nuts.
The fan on mine is VERY noisy.
But, to be fair, the fan does blow upwards towards the laptop.
I'm an engineer and discovered that another unit I'd bought blew downwards.
This is fine except that the laptop sucks air in at the bottom to cool the processor.
When the cooling platform does the opposite, both fans are competing against each other and the processor actually overheats instead of cooling down.
Test your laptop with a feather or thin strip of tissue to see which way the fan underneath is working.
You then need a platform that does exactly the same thing.
Laptop sucks in on the bottom face - platform sucks in on the bottom face (underneath).
Laptop blows out on the bottom face - platform blows out on the bottom face (underneath).
Hope this helps.
.....frostyboy.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin!, 8 Mar. 2008
I bought the Belkin Laptop Cooling Stand mainly due to the reasonable price and the fact that no external power supply is needed for the fan. The stand is great and even comes with a handy storage section for the cable (but the door is a little stiff to open). There's also an option to use the stand on a desk using the fold-out foot at the rear.

One disadvantage of the stand is that it doesn't cope well with 15.4" screen laptops, but I've overcome this by turning it around 180 degrees.

And yes, no more hot laps!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for my laptop, 19 Aug. 2009
I am so pleased with my Belkin and it really does what it says. In fact I have just sent for another one for my grandson. I use my laptop on the bed as I tend to be a bit of a non sleeper. I was so concerned as my duvet was getting a bit too warm, this is the answer and its fantastic.I can plug in the laptop to charge whilst working and just add the Belkin. What could be simpler.

5.0 out of 5 stars really good!!!, 23 Jan. 2010
I brought this because although my laptop wasn't hot, it didn't get the cooling I thought it should. I used this with my hp 15.6 laptop and it works extremely well with this, I doubt it'd be that effective with a 17" laptop unless the vents on the underneath are close to the middle of the laptop. I wouldn't use this on my lap or bed but there are plenty of other things you can put beneath it, anything flat really.

It works brilliantly and although not silent it doesn't make a heck of a noise. And as for the most important feature and reason I brought it the cooling. It's brilliant, really is, it cools the whole laptop and is actually quite chilly if you ever put your hands by the sides. Which is where the curve comes in handy as it doesn't matter where your vents are on your laptop they'll all get cool blown to them. Even my exhaust fan churns out cold air if I'm not doing anything intensive. Something that other people complained about in other reviews of this was the back panel which you use to support the back up to a level. It's now been fixed so that it clicks into place so is sturdier than before.

Overall this is by far the best accessory for a laptop and really does a good job. I'd defiantly recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Keep Your Nuts Cool, 14 Feb. 2013
Andrew Kerr (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Despite the name "laptop" I really doubt that modern varieties are ideally suited to be sat on your lap. The heat that some of them generate is high enough to fry an egg on, combined with the risk of your laptop over heating because your blocking the vents - something has to be done. If you are sensible enough to use your laptop at a desk or another similar surface then you can stop reading now as you won't need this item. However if your like me, it's a common event to have your laptop sitting on your knee (I'm fatal for doing this when in bed.) To our rescue is this "Belkin Laptop Cooling Stand" which hopefully will keep our nuts cool.

Powered by any USB port, it's simply a matter of plugging it in to power the fan. The idea is that this fan will not only blow cold area on to the underside of your laptop, but also increase airflow to either side. It's measures just under 30cm in length and in width so it should accommodate most laptops. Larger laptops with a 17" screen or larger may benefit from a larger cooling stand. It is pretty light and streamlined so it's easy to carry around or just to add to your laptop bag.

There are "flip" feet at the rear of the stand. I suppose these have been included for those who want their laptop tiled at an angle towards them. It didn't work for me as the feet are to high meaning my wrists bend upwards to the same degree which isn't the most comfortable typing angle.

It does what it's designed to do and does it reasonable well. There is a noticeable difference in the temperature of my laptops underside, while not a massive reduction (most likely to the smallish fan) it's still better than it was before.

Build quality is pretty good as expected at this price. The length of the USB cable however isn't massive and may pose a problem when attempting to connect to some laptops.

At £12.99 at time of purchase and review is isn't good value for money. This takes into account that there are many, many cheaper models on the market (with some being less than a fiver) that essentially do the same thing.

At the end of the day a simple life style change would mean that you wouldn't need such a item. Nevertheless until that day comes and if you want to continue using your laptop on your lap this item or a similar one is a good idea.