4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey but very good quality.
I am actually pretty impressed by this baby monitor. It has replaced a Walkabout Premier Digital which we have got on ok with but I have never quite trusted completely as on a couple of occasions it has let us down and somehow lost connection to the base.
Published on 18 Jan. 2009 by Mrs. Bryony A. Shaw

The monitor is very easy to use - all very self explanatory, and the Quick Start guide is useful.
It is a much smaller unit than I anticipated, and the parent unit is light and transportable. The unit recharges and holds its charge all day - no rushing to plug the parent unit in when the charge runs out.
The clarity is very good and the ability to adjust the...
Published on 21 Jan. 2009 by R. W. Mackenzie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Pricey but very good quality., 18 Jan. 2009
Mrs. Bryony A. Shaw "joltek" (Ely, Cambs) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Philips AVENT SCD530 DECT Baby Monitor with Temperature and Humidity Sensors (Baby Product)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It is much much smaller than I expected it to be and very unobtrusive in the lounge. When I first turned it on I didn't think the screen was particularly easy to read but it has a backlight that comes on as soon as you are actually pressing any buttons which then makes it very easy to read.
Ridiculously easy to set up - just plug and play really. It says that you should charge the batteries for 10 hours before using but we were having a little fiddle after a couple of hours and it didn't seem to mind.
It really is the baby monitor with everything. It has a temperature sensor and the temp is displayed along with the humidity at all times on the parent base. You can also stop and start lullabies using the parent controls which I would have found handy when my daughter was younger. You can turn the nightlight on and off remotely although it is such a tiny tiny light that I really can't imagine any baby/child noticing whether it is on or off. It certainly wouldn't help you see much at night. I dropped a star for that really as the Tomy nightlight gives out a very nice amount of light.
You can control how sensitive the monitor is, I don't have mine set too high as I don't want to hear my toddler snoring lol but I am sure that with a tiny baby it would be great to be able to set it to the highest and hear every little breath. The quality of the sound is really what makes this monitor a vast improvement over my Tomy tho. It is so clear and not a buzz or a hiss or a slightest hint of interference. My old one had to be moved around a bit in the evenings sometimes as it would pick up interference from the computer or our phone etc.
Another nice little touch is that you can press a talk button on the side of the parent monitor and be heard on the baby base. I would never use this to say anything to the baby but have been in positions in the baby days when one of us would be stuck in the room getting the baby to sleep and it would have been handy to be able to communicate both ways.
All in all I would say if you are looking for a top of the range baby monitor and money's no object then you certainly seem to get what you pay for.
It comes with a travel bag which is a nice touch and the whole thing feels really high quality and well thought out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very expensive baby monitor but does what it says on the tin, 31 Jan. 2009
SlayerKat "Geek Mum" (East Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm really impressed with this baby monitor. In fact I can't really fault it except for the price. It's a nice little piece of kit. Out of the box you receive the base unit with wall plug (which looks strangely like an old fashioned tape player), the parent unit with wall charger and a carrying bag for trips. All the components are a simple white with metallic blue fascia and the Philips Avent logo. They look quite smart. First things first and most importantly it works. When both units or plugged in and linked the parent unit clearly picks up the noise in baby's bedroom. There is no interference and no picking up of local police radio or next door neighbours baby! I had lots of problems with my previous BT baby monitor so it's a joy to have a monitor that actually works properly. The parent unit is quite tiny and easy to carry around. It also comes with a strap to wear around your neck but I haven't bothered with it.

Other features include a temperate gauge and humidity gauge which display simultaneously on the parent unit and baby unit. I have no idea what the humidity bit means and it seems to be 'normal' which is good. Not sure what I would do if it's not normal but there you go. You can also control a selection of nursery rhyme tunes from both the baby unit and the parent unit. There is tiny nightlight on the baby unit which is a bit useless as an actual light but my baby seems to like it's orange glow. You can use batteries in the baby unit instead of the power unit for travelling too. Also features a talkback system which is actually much more useful for giving orders to my other half when he is upstairs and saves shouting round the house. I've tried using it to reassure my baby but I think it just freaks him out because he can hear me but can't see me. Maybe it will be more useful when he's older. There is a pager alarm as well from the baby unit if you mislay the parent unit and need to find it.

The battery life on the parent unit has been superb. I've had it just over 2 weeks and I still haven't had to recharge it (after the initial charge) and I've been using it for hours every night. When baby cries you have a choice of lights and sound or just lights. You can also have a vibrate function which I've never needed to use.

In summary, this is a pretty good baby monitor but it's so expensive. At this price it could have feature some more extras like a clock would have been nice. It loses a star for not good value for money otherwise I give it five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb - Love It!, 23 July 2009
debbie8355 (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
With 3 children I've used a variety of baby monitors and this is simply the best. Yes, it is expensive but it'll last for years and the design, build quality and performance of this monitor is exceptional.
The parent unit is the size of a small pager, very discreet and easy to carry around in a pocket. It comes with a well made, quality carry strap which means as well as carrying it in a pocket (with optional belt clip) you could also carry it around your neck. The main unit is also very small which makes it exceptionally good for travel and it comes with a very practical carry case which stores the units and charger safely.
It looks fantastic and would make a 'wow' gift for any expectant parents.
I have used this monitor for a few months now and the performance is excellent. You can hear breathing clearly and without interference. The base unit also has some twinkly lullabies and a dim night light - gadgets in the past I bought independently from my baby monitors so it's great they are included in one very small unit here.
The parent small unit has an internal rechargeable battery and the base unit can also work on 4 AA batteries however it eats those batteries - I've often forgotten to turn the unit off and they are used up within 24 hours.
There are handy features such as not only being able to turn the nightlight on from the main unit but also being able to do so remotely from the hand held parent unit.
You can turn the sound off on the parent unit but still be alerted to sounds in the babies room by very bright flashing lights on the parent unit (the louder the noise, more of the 5 lights go on - handy for when you are watching tv). Alternatively you can make the unit vibrate strongly to alert you to noise. This unit would be exceptionally useful for parents with hearing or sight problems.
There is also a walky talky function so you can talk (though rather tinnily) to your child without necessarily going into their room. My elder children have found this feature very amusing and because the unit is so small and portable I've often found them playing with it in the garden (part of the reason why I'm getting through so many batteries!).
The temperature display is very important in my opinion and it did alarm on hot days to alert me of high temperatures although optimistically it did tell me we were in the mid 30's when it ws more like high 20's/low 30's in June.
There are lots of settings and buttons on the parent unit to play with. You can increase or decrease the sensitivity and chose your alert method and volume.
The humidity display is probably not going to be that useful to most parents but if you have a child with medical problems then it could be helpful.
The only negative things I can think of saying are a couple of times after the unit had completely run out of batteries I thought the unit had broken because the normally battery charging logo wasn't there when trying to recharge via the mains but eventually after being plugged in for half an hour it came to life.
Also because of it's small size I've mislaid the parent unit on a few occasions but there is a pager button on the main unit so you can find it again as long as everything is charged up.
Overlall, I love this unit and wish it'd been available when my first child was born! Very highly recommended. I'd buy this every time versus the more pointed shape avent monitors (one of which I also have).

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good and Well Thought out, 23 Jan. 2009
Brian Hamilton "brianhamilton14" (Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Baby monitors get pretty heavy usage in our house due to an eight month old who is teething right now. We have loads of Avent products from steam steriliser to bottles and have always rated the quality of their products. The baby monitor seems to be no exception.

The baby unit (shaped like a cube) has built in temperature and humidity sensors. So far so good. It also has a built in night light and lullably function.

Where this device differs from most is in the parent unit. It is rechargable and comes with neck strap and belt clip so you can be walking about the house and still listen to your baby. The best functions in the parent unit are the settings where you can turn the lullabies and night light on or off remotely. This is great and allows you to activate these soothing functions without going into the babies room and disturbing him or her.

The signal is very clear with little noise. There is also a talk function on the parent unit where you can speak to the baby over the baby unit. This is well thought out too because if a lullaby is playing it fades out when you speak to the baby.

A travel case is included and we intend to take this with us to Florida in the near future as it has everything we need to help our baby have a good nights sleep.

All in all a very good device with useful functions. It has only lost one star due to the power of the night light which is a bit feeble.

****UPDATE****

I have just returned from holiday in Florida and took these monitors with me. I am going throw an extra half a star in for two reasons. Firstly, there is an included carry bag that comfortably and safely held the monitor, parent unit and both power adaptors. Secondly, we used american adaptors and the monitors worked fine, despite American sockets working on 110volts. I was very impressed, particularly as another couple had pretty expensive video monitors that just wouldn't work with 110volts. So, if you are travelling with a baby these are ideal. Good work Philips.

4.0 out of 5 stars All singing, all dancing piece of kit!, 2 Feb. 2009
H Pedder "bookworm" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not content with 'just' a baby monitor, Avent has now introduced a monitor complete with humidity and temperature gauge. Perfect for those of us who worry perhaps a little too much about the health, safety and wellbeing of those we love! ;o)

The DECT (Digitally Enhanced Cordless Telecommunication) aspect of this monitor is superb, and thinking back to the 'bogstandard' monitors of old is a tremendous improvement - no crackles or interference. Which means those innocent snuffles don't get mistaken for a pained cry! (Or was that just my paranoia???!!!) The monitor and humidity/temperature monitor is full of information and relatively easy to use once you get to know what the display is actually showing you. I am a bit of a gadget-fiend so love the lullaby option and, in fact, the temperature/humidity gauge...and I'm a sucker for all things illuminated so on looks it's great - compact but comprehensive.

It's a great piece of kit that offers complete reassurance for parents with young babies and children, and I'm really very taken with it and hard-pressed to pick fault. But I can only bring myself to give it 4 stars as it's so darned expensive! But you get what you pay for, I guess. This would suit those with either lots of cash to spare, or who want to ensure their child - almost to the point of obsessive compulsion - is safe and well.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good but not brilliant, 20 April 2009
A. James (Norway) - See all my reviews
Being a new dad, i had no idea what we needed from a baby moniter, so i went to amazon and checked out the other comments.
After reading all the other comments, i decided this was the moniter to buy, although a little more expensive than some of the others it had more features and seemed to be more practicle and mobile.
when it arrived, sure enough it was very simple to set up, and the unit is small and light weight.
i do have a few minor complaints though which mark it down, the charging unit for the parent device is very sensitive and only charges if the unit is exactly in the right place, and the temperature sensor is a little optimistic, telling me it is 8 degrees warmer that it actually is.
the rest of the features seem to be ok,and the walkie talkie function is very good. hope this helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent product, 24 Jan. 2009
David (SPECTRE Island) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is one of the best baby monitors I have had the good fortune to use. Philps have a reputation for producing quality products and this is no exception.

So what do you get in this package ?
Well, firstly you get a baby monitor which allows you to personalise the temerature and humidity sensors. There are also a selection of nice lullabys to help your baby sleep. The volume can be adjusted. This item can be plugged in but if there is no plug socket you will have to buy some batteries for it.
The parent unit is nice and small and will easily fit into your pocket. This is also rechargable which is very handy. You can set this to vibrate which is handy if you are entertaining friends. It also has talk back which allows you to talk to your baby from another room.
The other thing you get is a very nice travel bag which allows you to easily carry the item if you are going on holiday.

So all in all a fantastic package. If you are a parent and need a baby monitor that doesn't require you to have a degree in rocket science to use then this item is for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's good to listen, 22 Jun. 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used the straightforward Tomy baby monitors for our first two children this has been a revelation to us as parents. The monitor is digital, and the sensitivity can be reduced if you want to cut out background noise in your baby's room. The Monitor will only activate if your baby is making a little more noise than just turning around, and is therefore pleasingly quiet compared to the crackle and hiss of more conventional monitors. The sound is also excellent, a real plus for peace of mind. Like a cordless phone the parent unit sits in its charging cradle and can be taken around the house as necessary, has a good visual noise monitor and excellent battery life.

Another plus is that the baby's unit has a night light. There is also an intercom that works for around 300-400 metres. The humidity sensor is a little unnecessary but good to have and the look and feel of the handsets are pleasing stylish and chunky. Highly recommended.

3.0 out of 5 stars This monitor has just about everything you could wish for, and more, however this does come at a price..., 21 Jan. 2009
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The clarity is very good and the ability to adjust the sensitivity is great too, you don't have to hear baby's every breath and shuffling around (unless you want to).
The range seems excellent - I haven't tested it to its limit, but no problems over 50m or so.
The baby unit also comes with a night light and lullaby function, which can be controlled from the parent and baby unit - not something I would use, but good if you need them.

There are a few downsides though - the monitor is expensive, and the humidity sensor seems a little over the top and unnecessary. I also think having the buttons backlit when using them would be helpful.
I have found the temperature sensor to overestimate the room temperature slightly, compared to two other thermometers.
I also experienced a problem with the parent unit which seemed to freeze so I couldn't adjust the sensitivity, plus the lights that indicate the noise levels were not working. Hopefully this was a one off, and simply turning the unit off and on again resolved the problem.
Overall I would recommend a rechargeable, digital monitor with temperature sensors and warnings, but not necessarily this one which I feel is overpriced and has unnecessary features.

4.0 out of 5 stars Slight interferance, and baby unit could be smaller, 19 Jan. 2009
piccolo "Kosh" (UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Having used the 'best buy' bt 150, this product doesn't differ much in any way, the controls are very easy to use (no need to look in manual)and both units are a nice size although the baby unit could be smaller. I never really used the Humidity sensor (never saw the point) and the tempreture sensor works perfectly. The 'night light' could be brighter (its just a small yellow light the size of a 50p coin) and bigger, its really pointless being there. Overall it does its job well however i have two main grips: 1) When comparing it to the bt 150 and putting them both on the highest sensivity setting you can hear a slight buzzing sound on the parent unit of the Philips.
2) The parent base could be better as it doesnt quite hold the unit as well as it should, very easy to fall off when charging.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›