5.0 out of 5 stars BEST pump ever! worth every penny
Published on 5 Sep 2010 by Katharine

I dont usually leave feedback for items but i feel like i need to make other pumping mums aware!
I didnt like this breast pump at all!
Published 11 months ago by Deborah Brassington

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST pump ever! worth every penny, 5 Sep 2010
This review is from: Medela Freestyle Double Electric Breastpump with Calma (Baby Product)
This pump is a Godsend. YES it is expensive. Yes it is a double, but WOW it is even better than the Medela Swing which I loved. They have redesigned the valves so cleaning and opening it up is something you can do in your sleep and the digital display is amazing. The expression phase has 9 levels so it is sure to stimulate your let down pretty fast and then the actual extraction phase also has 9 levels. REALLY good. First time I used it I collected 8 oz's in a few minutes.
I have previously owned the Tommee Tippee electric single pump which gave me 2 ozs in 45 minutes and chewed up my nipples, the Medela Swing which is the best single pump on the market in my opinion, but it lost suction and I should have just had the Swing replaced for a fresh one but John Lewis allowed me to change to the Avent Isis IQ Uno which came highly recommended. The WORST pump ever.. it has no power! I have been panicking that my milk supply was drying up .. I would feed baby at 5 am with one side, and go off and express the other (a full hard breast that is leaking having not fed her from that side in several hours) and after 25 minutes of squeezing and fiddling and desperately resetting the speed on the Avent (which is a trumped up manual pump with automator! not a proper electric.. no levels!), I'd give up with a pitiful 3-4ozs where I'd been getting 8-9 from my Medela Swing. I now know for sure it is the Avent, not my supply.. my husband surprised me with the Freestyle and it is THE BEST PUMP IN THE WORLD! Quiet, compact, easy to use, lightweight! My only criticisms are: the handsfree kit is waaaaay too fiddly but I never intend to use it anyway I will just get the halter bra. Also: come on Medela for £250 you really should include 2 of the large 9oz bottles! Those 5ozs bottles are a joke so be prepared to buy some Storage bags (NOT MEDELA'S THEY ARE ONLY 5 OZ BAGS!) from Boots or Tesco, and some large Medela bottles to pump into.
Anyway 4 pumps in 4 months and now finally I am all set but if you are on a budget and dont want to buy a double get the Medela Swing it is a really really good single electric breastpump. if it dies on you just ring up Medela and they will sort it very fast. Its also a bit loud so bury it with a pillow! that worked for me! Again: buy large bottles though! Happy pumping! x

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for exclusively pumping mums, 22 Aug 2012
Due to the price of this I would start off by saying that this pump is only worth it if money is no object or if you plan on exclusively expressing your milk ~(i.e. not breastfeeding but needing to feed baby solely on your milk). I have used the Swing pump and this too is very effective and is all that is needed if you are also breastfeeding.

The double pump has made it so that I am able to still feed my baby breast milk, even though I am unable to breastfeed. The fact that it is a double pump means that it takes half the time to pump, which is a life saver when needing to express in the middle of the night or when you're out.

Looking at the hands free side of things, I didn't bother to use the straps that come with this, so I can't comment. I used my old nursing sleep bras - I made a small hole at each nipple area and I detach the shield from the expresser and feed the expresser through the hole and then pop the shield back on, this holds the shields close to your breast as if you were holding them. This allows for hands free where I can apply some hand compressions to the breast if I am in a rush to get the milk out. The battery is great because it works in a way that you can have it connected to the wall (where it will also charge), but it is also just as easy to use the battery and clip the machine on to your jeans where you can get on with chores around the house, rather then having to be plugged in and sat down - this is important when having to pump every 2-3 hours for 20 mins.

A few things that makes this machine better then the swing and that I love is that there is a timer on this pump, with the swing I never knew quite how long I had done it for. Also, the valves work differently on the expressers, which I think makes a lot of difference for the comfort and ease of expressing - when I used the swing, if milk built up in the breast shield part it would quickly go straight in to the tubes which was incredibly annoying, as you would have to turn off the machine, and stop pumping until you had cleaned and waited for the tubes to dry, it is also unsanitary. With these new valves milk getting in to the tubes is virtually impossible, It hasn't happened to me yet, which means no needing to stop in the middle of a pumping session and no cleaning tubes (this also eliminates the possibility of milk getting in to the machine and damaging it). The valves are also very easy to clean because of this. This pump comes with a few extras - 1. Medela Calma Solitaire which is great for bottle feeding your breastfed baby, as baby uses the same latch technique for this teat as they do the breast. 2. Medela Cooler Bag with 4 Bottles, although not the teats. This makes it easier to pump away from home and keep milk fresh (this bag could then go in the fridge at work without no one seeing your liquid gold. 3. Medela hand bag. This is great for keeping all your pumping equipment and bottles in the area when going out.

The 4 medela bottles that come with this are fine for me as I do not have alot of milk (they fit 6 ounces in each), but I would have thought they may be a bit small for other woman, I would suggest ordering the bigger bottles if you have a lot of milk. I have seen some woman comment on the bottles leaking, they will leak slightly if the bottles are full and you tip your body forward enough for the milk to come out the top. The only way to work with this is to either by bigger bottles to allow some tipping forward or do something around the house that does not require tipping forward.

If you use a personal fit breast shield, not to worry, these expressers allow for this and will fit on fine.

This pump pulls milk out of the breast very efficiently. I have used a hospital grade pump and I would say this is more similar to the hospital grade then the swing. When I was using the swing pump I would need to spend 20 mins on each breast and apply hand compressions the whole way through to empty my breast, with this pump I still use it for 20 mins on each (but am able to at the same time) but I do not need to use hand compressions to empty my breasts, so I am able to play with my baby or get on with chores.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, 28 Aug 2014
I didn't use the pump as much as I thought I would when my baby was very little, however, since starting to wean I've found he has a dairy allergy and can't have normal formula. I've since been expressing every morning to give him expressed milk with his porridge to get easy extra calories in to his diet. The double pump has been a lifesaver - so much quicker and more efficient. It's also really handy that it is battery operated as well as we've been to a couple of daytime weddings without the baby and I've had to find a discreet toilet to go and express, much easier without having to find a plug socket!

4.0 out of 5 stars Our best baby purchase so far., 24 April 2013
LMD (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This pump has been an absolute essential since our little one arrived 8 weeks early. We've recently sat and considered the cost:value of a lot of the baby items we've bought over the last few months and this comes out top of the list by a long way. It has helped my wife maintain her milk supply while he was in hospital, it meant that she didn't have to wait for the shared pump on the ward when we were visiting and, when we came home, the battery pack meant she could get on with life while expressing. Most importantly, it has meant that our little one has been able to have breast milk from birth, a huge advantage considering he was born too early to breast-feed.

The pump itself is simple to use. Plug in the adapter to charge the battery, plug in the vacuum hose and attach the actual pumps and you're ready to go. The battery is good for about 3 hours of pumping before it's flat. The small size means that it is actually reasonably portable. Its not quiet though, so while you can take it places you will be heard! There are 9 levels of user-adjustable suction and it uses two phases, the first to stimulate milk letdown and the second to extract as much milk as possible. These phases work well and can be over-ridden if you just want to get on with things.

It's a double pump which is a big benefit , essentially halving the time needed to express. That said, it only really works well if you use it with a "pumping bra" to hold everything in place - without this, you quickly run out of hands and it doesn't matter how portable/mobile the device is...

There are different sized breast shields for this pump - it comes supplied with "medium" sized funnels. My wife found the mediums reasonably useful, but we ordered a set of the "small" size and this improved the amount she could express by quite a lot. A few months on and the medium sized ones are now giving better results, so it might be useful if they supplied a couple of sets of shields - especially considering the price.

Cleaning the pump is simple - the business ends disassemble easily for washing and sterilising. Even better, they are dishwasher safe, so you can put them on the top rack of the dishwasher and use them straight away.

Other items in this kit include a handbag/changing bag which my wife really likes and uses more often than the bugaboo changing bag that we bought separately. It also comes with an insulated bottle carrier, complete with a contoured freezer-pack to fit the shape of the bottles and keep things cool in the heat. It's supplied with a couple of bottles for pumping and 4 150ml medela bottles and lids, plus a Calma teat. We've not had much success with the calma teat but the bottles work great with the Dr Browns Preemie teats and free-flow inserts, holding more milk than the Dr Browns preemie bottles.

In terms of performance then, it's brilliant. We wouldn't have been without it and my wife thinks it would be really hard to find something better - even after using the machines available in the hospital. High praise indeed. For perfoemance, this pump gets 5 stars.

Looking at this package as a whole, I'm not sure the add-ons justify the steep price though. To my mind the whole bundle would have been significantly improved with the inclusion of a pumping bra as without it you really don't get the benefit of it being a double pump. For that, and the fact that different sized breast shields are an expensive extra, it loses a star.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy with my choice., 5 July 2014
Delivery was very quick, although it's international (Dubai). I haven't tried the product itself as I'm still pregnant, and planning to use it once I have my baby. But I've assembled the pump, and recharged it. It seems working just fine. Easy to assemble and use and the manual and other brochures are very useful, they even provide information on breast milk pumping/storage/nursing and so. I got this product after reading so many reviews of different brands and different Madela pumps, and I am happy with my choice for now. Will come back to write a review once used for a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Grwat, 27 May 2014
Great product, can't recommend enough!! Easy to use and with the variable settings made life much easier. Could do with a few extra bottles tho.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped us when our babies came early, 6 May 2014
K. Payne "mum of 3" (England) - See all my reviews
Our twin daughters were born 9 weeks early. So I had to express for them exclusively from the first 6 weeks. I used this pump several times a day, and it coped really well. I'm still using it 4 or 5 times a day, and it's like new. The whole kit that you get with this particular model was ideal for us. We used the insulated bottle bag (with a shaped freezer block) to transport my milk from home to the NICU. And when one of our daughters was transferred to a NICU unit in a different county I used the large bag to carry all my expressing equipment. I prefer this pump to the hospital's Symphony pump. It is noisy, but that doesn't put me off. We haven't used the Calma bottle at all, as the hospital provided NUK teats and our daughters took to them well. Now the girls are bigger I am able to breastfeed them, this set helped us bridge the gap, and helped me to establish a good milk supply in the comfort of my own home. I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent pump for a working mom, 29 Jan 2012
I had to go back to work when my little daughter was only 100 days old. Some friends highly recommended this pump. I find it really is a dream to let my daughter continue with breast milk. It normally takes 15-20 minutes each time. I really love it as I can actually "pump and walk" :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent but be sure you need it before spending the cash, 25 Mar 2010
Baby Chaos (Istanbul, Turkey) - See all my reviews
I had a madela swing then bought this so that I could double pump. I found that the shape of the swing was slightly better but the pump in the freestyle is excellent. You can programme your settings which is great and the rechargeable battery life is good enough for a weekend away. Big downfall for me was that I never got the hang of double pumping. It was still easier to single pump so I could have saved a lot of money by sticking to the swing!

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick to the Medela Swing! Reduced suction and unable to express!, 30 Sep 2013
I didnt like this breast pump at all!
Im exclusively pumping 6 times a day, using the medela swing, for my 7 week old son who couldnt nurse due to a tongue tie. I thought id save time by buying this double pump (time is precious with a family of 6!!) because usually the first morning pump takes well over an hour to empty both my breasts seperately.
After reading good reviews, with the odd one saying that there is reduced suction and not as good as the Medela swing, i should of taken those into consideration!
-I couldnt pump any more than 1 ounce after 10 minutes of pumping using both. Usually id get at least 7oz from the medela swing!
-The pump was on full suction and my breasts werent emptied at all, even after using it as a single pump, i only managed to get 3oz off in 15 minutes but i was still able to go on and express another 3oz off using the swing!.
-Im unsure if this is a fault with some of the pumps but i have since sent the pump back because its not fit for purpose which, for an exclusive pumper, is very annoying!
- I also found it is very noisy compared to the medela swing which is not good at all having 3 other children and a 7 week old baby (plus husband) trying to sleep whilst pumping at night!
-Im hoping to find another double pump but it has put me off buying due to this not working properly, and its very annoying because i rely on my pump to feed my son!
-I might be better off purchasing two medela swings and using those both together! Im just glad that i had a "back up" pump
before purchasing it!
The only good thing is the features on the LCD. The light for night pumps, the timer and the bag and cool pack/bag to store bottles.