5.0 out of 5 stars BEST pump ever! worth every penny
Published on 5 Sept. 2010 by Katharine

I dont usually leave feedback for items but i feel like i need to make other pumping mums aware!
I didnt like this breast pump at all!
Published 19 months ago by Deborah Brassington

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST pump ever! worth every penny, 5 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Medela Freestyle Double Electric Breastpump with Calma (Baby Product)
This pump is a Godsend. YES it is expensive. Yes it is a double, but WOW it is even better than the Medela Swing which I loved. They have redesigned the valves so cleaning and opening it up is something you can do in your sleep and the digital display is amazing. The expression phase has 9 levels so it is sure to stimulate your let down pretty fast and then the actual extraction phase also has 9 levels. REALLY good. First time I used it I collected 8 oz's in a few minutes.
I have previously owned the Tommee Tippee electric single pump which gave me 2 ozs in 45 minutes and chewed up my nipples, the Medela Swing which is the best single pump on the market in my opinion, but it lost suction and I should have just had the Swing replaced for a fresh one but John Lewis allowed me to change to the Avent Isis IQ Uno which came highly recommended. The WORST pump ever.. it has no power! I have been panicking that my milk supply was drying up .. I would feed baby at 5 am with one side, and go off and express the other (a full hard breast that is leaking having not fed her from that side in several hours) and after 25 minutes of squeezing and fiddling and desperately resetting the speed on the Avent (which is a trumped up manual pump with automator! not a proper electric.. no levels!), I'd give up with a pitiful 3-4ozs where I'd been getting 8-9 from my Medela Swing. I now know for sure it is the Avent, not my supply.. my husband surprised me with the Freestyle and it is THE BEST PUMP IN THE WORLD! Quiet, compact, easy to use, lightweight! My only criticisms are: the handsfree kit is waaaaay too fiddly but I never intend to use it anyway I will just get the halter bra. Also: come on Medela for £250 you really should include 2 of the large 9oz bottles! Those 5ozs bottles are a joke so be prepared to buy some Storage bags (NOT MEDELA'S THEY ARE ONLY 5 OZ BAGS!) from Boots or Tesco, and some large Medela bottles to pump into.
Anyway 4 pumps in 4 months and now finally I am all set but if you are on a budget and dont want to buy a double get the Medela Swing it is a really really good single electric breastpump. if it dies on you just ring up Medela and they will sort it very fast. Its also a bit loud so bury it with a pillow! that worked for me! Again: buy large bottles though! Happy pumping! x

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for exclusively pumping mums, 22 Aug. 2012
Due to the price of this I would start off by saying that this pump is only worth it if money is no object or if you plan on exclusively expressing your milk ~(i.e. not breastfeeding but needing to feed baby solely on your milk). I have used the Swing pump and this too is very effective and is all that is needed if you are also breastfeeding.

The double pump has made it so that I am able to still feed my baby breast milk, even though I am unable to breastfeed. The fact that it is a double pump means that it takes half the time to pump, which is a life saver when needing to express in the middle of the night or when you're out.

Looking at the hands free side of things, I didn't bother to use the straps that come with this, so I can't comment. I used my old nursing sleep bras - I made a small hole at each nipple area and I detach the shield from the expresser and feed the expresser through the hole and then pop the shield back on, this holds the shields close to your breast as if you were holding them. This allows for hands free where I can apply some hand compressions to the breast if I am in a rush to get the milk out. The battery is great because it works in a way that you can have it connected to the wall (where it will also charge), but it is also just as easy to use the battery and clip the machine on to your jeans where you can get on with chores around the house, rather then having to be plugged in and sat down - this is important when having to pump every 2-3 hours for 20 mins.

A few things that makes this machine better then the swing and that I love is that there is a timer on this pump, with the swing I never knew quite how long I had done it for. Also, the valves work differently on the expressers, which I think makes a lot of difference for the comfort and ease of expressing - when I used the swing, if milk built up in the breast shield part it would quickly go straight in to the tubes which was incredibly annoying, as you would have to turn off the machine, and stop pumping until you had cleaned and waited for the tubes to dry, it is also unsanitary. With these new valves milk getting in to the tubes is virtually impossible, It hasn't happened to me yet, which means no needing to stop in the middle of a pumping session and no cleaning tubes (this also eliminates the possibility of milk getting in to the machine and damaging it). The valves are also very easy to clean because of this. This pump comes with a few extras - 1. Medela Calma Solitaire which is great for bottle feeding your breastfed baby, as baby uses the same latch technique for this teat as they do the breast. 2. Medela Cooler Bag with 4 Bottles, although not the teats. This makes it easier to pump away from home and keep milk fresh (this bag could then go in the fridge at work without no one seeing your liquid gold. 3. Medela hand bag. This is great for keeping all your pumping equipment and bottles in the area when going out.

The 4 medela bottles that come with this are fine for me as I do not have alot of milk (they fit 6 ounces in each), but I would have thought they may be a bit small for other woman, I would suggest ordering the bigger bottles if you have a lot of milk. I have seen some woman comment on the bottles leaking, they will leak slightly if the bottles are full and you tip your body forward enough for the milk to come out the top. The only way to work with this is to either by bigger bottles to allow some tipping forward or do something around the house that does not require tipping forward.

If you use a personal fit breast shield, not to worry, these expressers allow for this and will fit on fine.

This pump pulls milk out of the breast very efficiently. I have used a hospital grade pump and I would say this is more similar to the hospital grade then the swing. When I was using the swing pump I would need to spend 20 mins on each breast and apply hand compressions the whole way through to empty my breast, with this pump I still use it for 20 mins on each (but am able to at the same time) but I do not need to use hand compressions to empty my breasts, so I am able to play with my baby or get on with chores.

5.0 out of 5 stars Helped us when our babies came early, 6 May 2014
K. Payne "mum of 3" (England) - See all my reviews
Our twin daughters were born 9 weeks early. So I had to express for them exclusively from the first 6 weeks. I used this pump several times a day, and it coped really well. I'm still using it 4 or 5 times a day, and it's like new. The whole kit that you get with this particular model was ideal for us. We used the insulated bottle bag (with a shaped freezer block) to transport my milk from home to the NICU. And when one of our daughters was transferred to a NICU unit in a different county I used the large bag to carry all my expressing equipment. I prefer this pump to the hospital's Symphony pump. It is noisy, but that doesn't put me off. We haven't used the Calma bottle at all, as the hospital provided NUK teats and our daughters took to them well. Now the girls are bigger I am able to breastfeed them, this set helped us bridge the gap, and helped me to establish a good milk supply in the comfort of my own home. I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really worthwhile, 2 Sept. 2013
I've recently had my second child and like so many other things, wish I'd got this first time. The pump promises a lot and in all the main areas, it delivers. Relatively quiet, efficient, easy to use and pretty comfortable. Although it isn't perfect, I've rated it 5*, because compared to a manual and an electric I've had before, plus numerous (very industrial!) models I've used in hospitals, this is far and away the best. It is easy to start up and the personal programme function is very handy. The suction seems to be just right and does feel pretty natural. It also comes with a handy bag and extra bottles (tho only 150ml size).
My only gripes are
1 - I've never understood why medela don't make comfort cushions like phillips, but actually the cups don't feel that bad and there are different sizes which helps. TBH I've found expressing so much quicker with this that the comfort thing isn't such a big deal now. 2 - as other people mentioned in reviews, the tubes can become detached from their plugs really easily - very annoying when you are setting up, but I've not had them detach once it is running, so I can live with it.
3 - as with other pumps, it can be really hard to look and see how much you have expressed - it dfoesn't matter if you are expressing a full feed but if you are just starting out, seeing the masurements on the bottle helps. On this set, I find the measurements on the bottle are always facing my body, no matter what I try. I've put tape on them now, but why can't they put the measurement lines right around the bottle??
My only other thought is that trying to control the pump while also holding two pumps in position is really awkward. There is a bra you can get to make it hands-free, I'm not sure yet whether it bothers me enough to invest in one, but I am thinking about it...
Onto the Calma system - I introduced a bottle of expressed milk in the evenings with my first child and have just started with my second. With no 1, we tried a few different bottles and he fought them all - eventually we just picked one and persevered. With no 2, we used the Calma bottle straight away and it has been brilliant! With minimal coaxing and fuss he has taken it. It's a bit awkward to get going as it needs a vacuum for milk to be in the teat, which I find encourages baby to drink. I'll leave out the detail of how I got around this - but now he's used to it, it's not an issue anymore.
All in all a good system and definitely a huge improvement on others I've tried, so I do love it and would recommend it, bearing in mind the gripes I have outlined.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "must have" if you are returning to work, 17 Sept. 2013
Pumping sessions done in 10 minutes for 100ml of milk. I paired it up with a portable steriliser that I could leave at the office, not the microwaveable bags type but a small compact container. The cooler bag is perfect for keeping the milk cold during my 1.5 hour train commute.

1.0 out of 5 stars Stick to the Medela Swing! Reduced suction and unable to express!, 30 Sept. 2013
I didnt like this breast pump at all!
Im exclusively pumping 6 times a day, using the medela swing, for my 7 week old son who couldnt nurse due to a tongue tie. I thought id save time by buying this double pump (time is precious with a family of 6!!) because usually the first morning pump takes well over an hour to empty both my breasts seperately.
After reading good reviews, with the odd one saying that there is reduced suction and not as good as the Medela swing, i should of taken those into consideration!
-I couldnt pump any more than 1 ounce after 10 minutes of pumping using both. Usually id get at least 7oz from the medela swing!
-The pump was on full suction and my breasts werent emptied at all, even after using it as a single pump, i only managed to get 3oz off in 15 minutes but i was still able to go on and express another 3oz off using the swing!.
-Im unsure if this is a fault with some of the pumps but i have since sent the pump back because its not fit for purpose which, for an exclusive pumper, is very annoying!
- I also found it is very noisy compared to the medela swing which is not good at all having 3 other children and a 7 week old baby (plus husband) trying to sleep whilst pumping at night!
-Im hoping to find another double pump but it has put me off buying due to this not working properly, and its very annoying because i rely on my pump to feed my son!
-I might be better off purchasing two medela swings and using those both together! Im just glad that i had a "back up" pump
before purchasing it!
The only good thing is the features on the LCD. The light for night pumps, the timer and the bag and cool pack/bag to store bottles.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, 31 Aug. 2014
With our new born my wife ha been expressing for every feed. Initially we were using a hand pump that produced a dribble - this pump has transformed things - doing about 120ml in 10 minutes. Much much much better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't question the price! It's an investment!, 1 Nov. 2014
The most amazing investment ever! I bought this when I went back to work after using the medela swing. I breastfed and pumped when I went back to work. This pump ensured that my supply stayed up, I could pump discretely with my home made double pump bra (sports bra with holes cut in it!). Don't question the price... It's got a great re-sale value too! I truly believe I wouldn't have been able to breasfeed my daughter for 13 months without this pump! BUY IT! Breast milk is the best start.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best pump ever!, 15 Oct. 2013
This pump is amazing! I can get as much milk in 5 minutes as I used to get in thirty with my old pump. It is a must have for any working mum who wants to keep breast feeding.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, 28 Aug. 2014
I didn't use the pump as much as I thought I would when my baby was very little, however, since starting to wean I've found he has a dairy allergy and can't have normal formula. I've since been expressing every morning to give him expressed milk with his porridge to get easy extra calories in to his diet. The double pump has been a lifesaver - so much quicker and more efficient. It's also really handy that it is battery operated as well as we've been to a couple of daytime weddings without the baby and I've had to find a discreet toilet to go and express, much easier without having to find a plug socket!