5.0 out of 5 stars excellent bee hive
Excellent product, arrived ready for use. Placed on a south facing wall on 21st April 2011, within three hours already in use by three lawn bees. By the 29th almost completely used as a hive. it also makes an excellent time waster, by watching the bees flying in and out. The video shows the hive in use on the first day.
Published on 29 April 2011 by P. J. Keating

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor resistence against the weather, limited instructions.
The 5 stars reviews are predominantly written shortly after purchase and not after use; this review is based upon performance through a typical year of English weather.I was gifted one of these last Christmas and thought how solid it looked but was somewhat disappointed in the limited instructional/educational information. A missed opportunity.
The second potential...
Published on 21 Dec. 2011 by Matthew Wagland

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor resistence against the weather, limited instructions., 21 Dec. 2011
Matthew Wagland "Matticus" (The Shires, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wildlife World Solitary Bee Hive (Garden & Outdoors)
The second potential problem was the lack of weather protection for the wood - it seemed quite open grained and vulnerable. I initially thought this may be a downfall in an English garden but presumed the wood was seasoned or in some way treated as there was nothing in the instructions saying it should be varnished or treated in any way. As predicted, sadly, it has proved to be anything but weatherproof. The wood has substantially split in several places and, despite some of the cells being occupied, is now looking to be in a sorry state, I don't think any bees will be emerging in the spring!I like the idea and I like the design but the problem is a fundamental one of English weather and seemingly non-weathered wood. I do reserve the thought however that I may have just been unlucky and maybe - if you purchase one - you should ask the manufacturers if it should and/or ought to bee (!) treated.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent bee hive, 29 April 2011
P. J. Keating "P J Keating" (Woodbridge, Suffolk, UK) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars good concept, poor construction, 6 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Wildlife World Solitary Bee Hive (Garden & Outdoors)
A great idea however the design is poor. The wood used is porous,soft and weak. On receipt, the roof was already broken in two places where it overhangs the body of the house.It will need treating or it will not last long and there are few products on the market that are insect friendly. The hook is not strong enough to hold the weight and keep it stable and you will need to put a small amount of vaseline on the nuts and bolts so they dont rust in place.
My suggestion - look at the designs online and build something yourself. It doesnt have to be elaborate, the bees dont mind as long as it is damp/draughtproof and had a small entrance.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solitary Bee Hive, 28 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Wildlife World Solitary Bee Hive (Garden & Outdoors)
This arrived a few days after ordering, sturdy and well made. I fitted this on a piece of 3x2, about 1m long in an area where I have flowers and a lavender shrub. This product is very effective in attracting bees as they have been busy recently (June) in 3 of the cells, 2 of which have the entrances closed by the bees having been packed with leaves (after laying eggs presumably). Today I observed a bee entering a 3rd cell several times during the morning.

A great product which looks good in the garden also.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solitary bee hive, 28 May 2011
L. Chamberlain (Leics UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wildlife World Solitary Bee Hive (Garden & Outdoors)
Well made, easy to fix to the wall and looks nice in the garden. However I think I should have had it in place a bit earlier for the bees to make ful use of it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, now all i need is some bees!, 19 July 2011
This review is from: Wildlife World Solitary Bee Hive (Garden & Outdoors)
Brought one of these for myself and another as a gift for a friend. It arrives in one piece and was easy to put up, although weirdly it doesn't include siting instructions. A Google search provided adivce that it needed to be at least 30cm off the ground, near flowers and preferably in a site that gets morning sun. Solitary bees don't swarm and are good for pollinating. Now all I need is some bees to go in and out of it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bee Hive, 31 Mar. 2010
Mark J. Lennon "Mark L" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wildlife World Solitary Bee Hive (Garden & Outdoors)
This is a fab product and already the bees are using it in my back garden. Great value for money and highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Small but perfectly formed, 8 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Wildlife World Solitary Bee Hive (Garden & Outdoors)
This non-swarming beehive is very well made and looks lovely on a post peeking above the tall flowers on an herbacaeous border. Hopefully it will encourage more insects to live there to pollinate them

4.0 out of 5 stars A useful addition, 2 Aug. 2011
This review is from: Wildlife World Solitary Bee Hive (Garden & Outdoors)
I already have a bumble bee box sited in my garden, but as there seemed to be a lot of solitary bees around this year I decided to get one of these as well. First impressions on opening the box were favourable. Construction is solid and 'chunky' although I did wonder why the timber used was un-treated. However given the favourable price I guess it will be no hardship to replace the hive in a few years assuming the wood does rot.

The bees seemed to take to the new hive very quickly and there was soon a lot of activity with bees going in and out the various holes, several of which were sealed as eggs had been laid. I've noticed other insects using the hive too (lace-wings in particular).

As far as I'm concerned, this is a useful addition to my garden.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bees' Knees, 25 April 2011
This review is from: Wildlife World Solitary Bee Hive (Garden & Outdoors)
Very well made and attractive "hive", about the size of a small bird box.
I am hoping the bees will think it's as great as I do.
I bought some red mason bee cocoons and attached the container to the hive. Since mid March six have hatched (out of 15) but don't seem to have paid any further attention to the hive. There is a patch of mud nearby so I hope there will be some activity soon.
I am happy I bought the hive as I think it is an asset to my garden.

2012 I am now thinking of ordering more red mason cocoons and buying another of these little hives. I thought I would update this review!

13 of the cocoons hatched out but all ignored the hive. A leaf cutter bee/bees found it and took over eight of the holes. Hope they all hatch out this spring.

Wildlife World Solitary Bee Hive