Stanley 183069 Multi Angle Hobby Vice
Package Quantity: 1Style Name: 1 - PackChange
Price:£17.95+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 6 January 2012
I agonized for some time before making this purchase, I wanted a vice for my craft and electronic hobbies which offered what this vice said it did however some of the other reviews on it worried me. Thankfully I ignored them and purchased it any way and having used it for far more than I originally purchased it for am totally satisfied with it.

From the ingeniously designed packaging my vice worked perfectly. The mounting is surprisingly sturdy and can quickly be attached to most surfaces, from a metal topped computer trolley to kitchen table to kitchen worktop so far in my case, and holds the whole assembly rigidly. The ball joint locking mechanisn although fiddley due to being close to the clamping mechanism is designed with a thread pitch which even with my arthritic fingers can be tightened sufficiently to hold the jaws in pretty much any orientation you can imagine. The jaws of the vice came fitted with removeable rubber inserts and so far both with and without the inserts have proved to be strong enough to hold a bicycle sprocket while a bearing was hammered in, to delicate electronic circuitry whilst soldering in components. It has also held various plastics and wooden pieces whilst making parts for my model making.

Obviously I cannot pass judgement on the other reviewers, but due to the simplicity of the design I really cannot see why they have had any problems other than not using it correctly - i.e. not using the ball joint locking mechanism correctly. Admittedly the instructions were basic and relied on the owner having sufficient apptitude to work it out themselves, but surely it should be a prerequisite that you understand how to use potentially dangerous tools before you attempt to use them.

Overall, if you need a vice to hold a cars brake drum whilst hammering a bearing in or a tree while you cut it into logs, then this vice is not fr you, buy a big permanently fixed vice, but for most other domestic or hobbiest uses then this vice is one piece of kit you will wonder why you didn't buy it years ago. It's one of the best £20 tools I've ever bought, and for a Branded product excellent value for money.
on 12 May 2012
this is a fantastic multi angel hobby vice,i bought a cheap mini vice off EBAY and it broke within 10 minutes of getting it out of the box so i decided to go with what i no,never had a problem with anything stanley your bench will break before this will,it turns in every angle without much effort!great price great product,dont think about it buy it!
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
One always expects great quality from Stanley products, and this "Hobby" vice is no exception. In fact it exceeded my expectation due to the "hobby" wording.

I do think that this vice could easily be used in a professional environment.

Precision engineering makes this tool ideal for securely holding circuit boards, modelling and so many other uses. The rubberised grip will not damage equipment. Having said that I have also used this vice for releasing nuts and drill chucks, thanks to the sturdy build quality.

The spay job and finish are top notch, and it would not look odd if placed in the house rather than the garage. Than again, it can be mounted and released in a jiffy.

Very versatile great quality vice. Highly recommended
on 3 October 2012
I'm currently doing an intermediate silver-smithing / jewellery making course & this is my first & most loved tool. I have a partly disabled left arm, which makes some standard techniques (eg. using a bench peg) impossible. But with this vice I've been able to work around pretty much everything. It's extremely versatile & the rubber protection on the grips means it doesn't damage precious metal.

All the other folk in my class want one too!
on 8 December 2011
I'm not sure if there was a rough batch of these produced - judging from the low-star reviews, but mine worked brilliant straight out the box!

The versatile angles it lets you work with are fantastic and while yes you do need to roll up your sleeves and really tighten the bolts to keep the bits in place (like most other vices), once set it locks hold of both work surface and object being worked on.

It's a hefty little bit of equiment, offers more versatility than other single-grip devices and for the under-£20 price I'd highly recommend.

Not sure why others had more difficulty with tightening / keeping in place, but speaking as an average strength woman - the one I received worked like a charm.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I might have got a one off dodgy model considering the multitude of positive reviews from other people on Amazon but this was my experience...

My unit arrived with the ball joint (the bit that makes it swivel) completely locked into place regardless of the locking bolt / screw that is meant to be used to lock and unlock it into position. I actually loosened the bolt / screw that much it came away from the unit and still the ball was firmly jammed into position. I tried quite a bit of WD40 (penetrating oil) and left it for a few hours but still even with a wrench and no end of brute force (I am 18 stone so lots of bruce force) and still refuse to move not even a little bit. This fault and therefore made the whole unit un usual able given that it comes in that posistion within the packaging so therefore couldn't even use it as a non swivel vice as the posistion it was stuck in wouldn't let me mount it onto my workbench with the attached g clamp.

In addition the rubber protective pads are very poorly designed and don't seat properly in the what are meant to be their retaining holes they are simply too big and if I kept the unit I would either have had to take a blade to trim the rubber down or used epoxy to glue them on which isn't something you should have to do with a new tool.

I have always been a fan of Stanley and their Max series of tools which this vice belongs to and I am staggered at the poor build quality and design of this product as compared to what I am used to with Stanley tools. All I can is that although there is a handful of low star reviews on here for the most part everyone seems to love their vice so I can only assume I was unlucky with mine and just got a dud unit but felt remiss in not posting my experience.
on 1 February 2013
good little vice...no problems for me as yet...everything moves and works as it should,
not to stiff or anything as other reviewers seem to have had trouble with,
theres one or two little chips to the paint around the holes where the guide rods go through on the actual clamp that have been touched up but seems too miner to me to ask for a replacement or anything.....just looks like its been painted after casting and there`s been burr around the hole and the guide rod has knocked the burr off along with some paint when pushed through.
its not cast iron but its got a bit of weight to it wich suggests strength/quality....it states "maxsteel" on the packaging
so i presume its made from steel....i wasn`t sure if it was made of some kind of plastic at 1st looking at the pics and
listing doesn`t seem to mention what its made from,
it`s certainly no heavy duty vice but i`m sure it will suffice for most jobs people
will buy this for and possibly a little more??
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 20 April 2012
Having bought one of these to replace a cheap one from a German food store which failed because the thread wore in the aluminum i have to say as usual with these there is one weak point that lets them down, my old was fine apart from the small fault it developed.
On opening the packaging I tried turning the handle for the vice and struggled to close the vice, being that I'm a stocky 6"1' bloke I was sure others must have had this problem and a quick look on here confirmed just that.
Some have said on here it is to do with the jaws not lining up, as the free jaw is only attached to the fixed jaw with the threaded screw and two plain metal shafts that is nonsense.
The reason for the tough opening and closing is that the thread isn't cut into the vice properly so it tries to flatten off the peaks of the thread when you turn it. For anyone who wants to fix this you can either cut the thread with a tap and die (not practical for most people). The easiest option is to unscrew the free part of the vice and remove it, get some 240 grit wet and dry paper and run it up and down the thread flattening the peaks of the thread down, try it and it will feel easier, may need a couple sessions till you get it right. The thread in the vice is no longer trying to flatten off the peaks of the thread, lubricate it, open and close a few times and it should be fine. I can tighten mine with my little finger now, quite what the quality control at Stanley are playing at to let these go on sale in the state they have is beyond comprehension.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 10 January 2015
I am more than happy with the product; I like its value for money, the versatilty it offers which includes its Portablity,all allied to the good name of "Stanley". It is everything I hoped for and fulfils my needs for small jobs around the house. One aspect I particularly like, is the mobility of the Multi Angle Hobby Vice. It can be easily moved from place to place within the house i.e. Tables, Countertops etc etc. Because of its small size and ease of removal and replacing, you are not confined to a Work Bench. I also like the removable rubber jaws of the vice. Those are the Pros:

The Cons:
The Manufacturers packing does take some unravelling with some broken fingernails along the way, to extradite the Vice.
The key/handle for operating the Swivel Ball, as other reviewers have pointed out, is small and is restrictive in its operation.
Finally, I feel that the clamping mechanism for securing the Vice to the underside of a Bench,Table, Countertop etc,etc, could have been made bigger to give a more substantial secure base.

The Vice, after it was finally unboxed from its packing, felt tight and a bit stiff. Before putting the Vice to use, I loosened things up with the liberal use of grease around the Ball and its mechanism and the Long 10m/m screw thread and Jaw guides. After 2/3 minutes of manouvering & exercising the Swivel Ball and the Vice Jaws, I found the operation of the Multi Angle Hobby Vice, very much easier.

All in all, this is a good product, which, with one or two modifications, could have been better.
on 19 March 2015
What could, and should have been a useful piece of equipment turns out to be a total waste of money and time.
The main clamping bolt was jammed in its socket. The only was to free it was with a wrench. Then had to unscrew it completely with the wrench and re-tap the threads.
The ball joint was so stiff as to be unuseable. Had to take it apart and file down the rough edges to get it to work at all satisfactorily.
Even the rubber mat that it meant to protect the work surface to which the vice is fastened was oversize and did not sit properly in its housing.
Conclusion: this is a total load of junk, and a contrast to the normally good name of Stanley Tools.