5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent vacuum sealer.
I already had a cheap, barely adequate vacuum sealer and wanting to upgrade it, couldn't find the information I wanted about the various models available. I was also daunted by the price of some of them! The thing that led me to this model was the fact that they stated the vacuum strength of the machine and also the fact that it was affordable.
Delivery was fast...
Published on 28 April 2009 by I. L. Evans

2.0 out of 5 stars Only works with their vacuum bags!
Having used a similar product from another company successfully for some time, I bought one of these based upon the great reviews here.

I should have read the reviews in more detail. Others here too have noticed it only works with their "channeled" vacuum bags.

Published on 2 Jan 2011 by Cyborgx

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent vacuum sealer., 28 April 2009
I. L. Evans (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Andrew James High Quality Vacuum Food Sealer
Delivery was fast (next day) and as soon as I started to use it I knew that this was what I had been looking for. When you can see the edges of the bag curling and hear dried pasta cracking inside the bag (whoops - too much vacuum) then you know it's doing its job.
It's a quality machine and well finished. It looks attractive and it's solid. I'm very happy and I highly recommend this product to you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Piece of Kit, 21 Aug 2009
G. Hookway "Gavin H" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Andrew James High Quality Vacuum Food Sealer
After investing in an Excalibur Food Dehydrator, I trawled through the internet to find a suitably priced vacuum food sealer. This machine is absolutely superb, and seals my little packs of dried food in a professional manner.
Excellent delivery, and in days when value for money is difficult to achieve - this little gadget is 110% value for a very reasonable outlay. Highly Recommended

5.0 out of 5 stars vacuum sealer, 9 Jan 2010
Eva I. Macdonald (North of Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Andrew James High Quality Vacuum Food Sealer
Great product! This saves lots of room in your freezer and helps keep food fresh in the fridge too. I think everyone needs one!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 4 Nov 2010
This review is from: Andrew James High Quality Vacuum Food Sealer
This is the first ever vacuum sealer I've used, so I have nothing to compare it with.

However, I'm fairly impressed with it.
It creates a very tight seal over the object which appears no different from food which has been vacuum packed by a manufacturer.

Its very good for storing food portions ie chilli etc, but you have to put it in another bag first.
Its great for burgers and meat especially when you have bought a huge pack of reduce priced steaks.

It doesn't pack vegetables very well, they don't maintain the vacuum and freeze bread first! I packed some hot dog rolls from fresh and it pancaked them! (good vacuum).

The sealer works on all types of plastic bag I've tried. The vacuum bit doesn't, only the bags supplied.

Pros.

Works well
Easy to use
Lightweight and easy to store.
Its a fun gadget to use (in a gadgetty way)

Cons

Its quite expensive for storing food in plastic bags and the bags are expensive.
Not convinced it keeps food fresher in the fridge, as perishables are either impossible to pack (get squashed) or continue to give off gas.
You have to freeze or double bag some things e.g. liquid
I'm slightly concerned it may not be very robust, so far no sign of wear but I only use it once a week at most.

Summary

If you have decided you want a vacuum sealer then this is about the cheapest available and does the job.
I'd buy it again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Aug 2013
This review is from: Andrew James High Quality Vacuum Food Sealer
Used this quite a few times now with no problems at all. Comes with real heavy duty bags and as for having to buy extra bags, they really are not that expensive, 50 bags for 8.95 ...bargain.

Andrew James Vacuum Food Sealer

The bags are pretty big and are easily reusable, obviously they decrease in size every time as you cut them. Also, others have stated that this machine only works with Andrew James bags, not true, I've sealed other plastic and foil bags with this product quite easily.

For those wandering weather you can vacuum seal liquid for sous vide, I use this almost exclusively for that purpose. You will need an additional grip seal bag. Place everything in the grip seal bag and hang contents over edge of work surface so all the empty space is on top of the surface, this way you can easily press out remaining air and seal. Now place this in the vacuum bag and vacuum seal. Jobs a good'n. You're welcome.

2.0 out of 5 stars Only works with their vacuum bags!, 2 Jan 2011
This review is from: Andrew James High Quality Vacuum Food Sealer

The other unit I had from another manufacturer worked with any type of normal plastic bag, so why must they design this to only work with their EXPENSIVE proprietary bags?

No thank you, I do not want to have to waste time and effort cleaning and re-using their expensive bags!

20p each for a plastic bag! When standard plastic bags are about 1p each!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Completely Brilliant, 3 Dec 2010
This review is from: Andrew James High Quality Vacuum Food Sealer
Firstly, can I just say that this is the first Amazon review I have ever written?

Anyway, this is a brilliant machine that does everything everyone says. The best surprise for me is that it will seal virtually any plastic bag that your packaged food comes in, so no need to use clothes pegs or sellotape to seal all those half-finished bags of nuts, rice, coffee beans, chorizo etc etc etc etc. Just remember to hit the seal only button before sucking all the air out of things that might get squashed (eg crisps) - or use seal only in the first place if in doubt.

I haven't managed to find an alternative source of sealer bags, but the "official" Andrew James ones are very good quality even though they're not particularly cheap.

All in all, though, this thing is completely brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great machine, 2 Feb 2010
This review is from: Andrew James High Quality Vacuum Food Sealer
I am thoroughly delighted with my machine. It arrived fast, easy to understand instructions and vacuums bautifully. As well as vacuuming to keep food fresher longer instead of my having to throw it out I can just re-seal bags like rice, pasta, coconut and sultana. Using the long rolls to measure out the bags for spaghetti is brilliant because I do not get it falling out of the cupboard now all over the floor, but I had to remember to make the bags a bit longer so I can re-seal after each use. It is small and light so can be put away when not in use. I had waited a long time to choose which machine as the expensive are too much and the cheap ones are just that!

5.0 out of 5 stars You have to get one of these, 4 Oct 2009
P. T. Nelson - See all my reviews
Brilliant bit of kit.

Vacuum seal left overs or prior to freezing. Reseals opened bags. Found cheaper bags/ rolls on a bargain website.

Tried the can crush test and was impressed.

Freeze stews + curries in bags before vacuum sealing.

I Use this nearly every day.

5.0 out of 5 stars It sucks! - No, really, it does., 2 Jan 2011
DC (Horrible Hayes, Middx, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Andrew James High Quality Vacuum Food Sealer
It works. It gets five stars for not breaking any promises.
There really isn't more to say about the vacuum sealing capabilities of this vacuum sealer.

The rest is really just a matter of intelligence.
If you try to vacuum seal a bag containing liquid (soup, stew, curry) then you are going to make a bit of a mess. This is not the fault of the manufacturer but a direct consequence of the laws of physics. Fortunately they are easily cleaned.

Although primarily a food product the Vacuum food sealer actually has lots of unusual uses. We have used it for compressed storage of dry clothes on a boat, science experiments with our child, plus the sheer joy of subjecting something to a vacuum just to see what happens :)

Seriously, if you are here because you are considering a vacuum sealer for the kitchen then this one is well worth the money.

Andrew James High Quality Vacuum Food Sealer