5.0 out of 5 stars Home at last.
I have loved 'The Planets' since a young child, but there has been a problem since then: No recording of this work has quite lived up to the Dynamic i remember experiencing when i heard this music played live at the Liverpool Philharmonic.
Published on 4 Mar 2004 by Squonk

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, not the best
This does not have the depth of the vinyl LP I remember from my childhood: Leopold Stokowski conducting the Los Angeles Philharmonic. However it is a good recording and quite enjoyable, if not the best I've heard.
Published on 19 July 2012 by Mrs. P. M. O'Connor

5.0 out of 5 stars Home at last., 4 Mar 2004
Squonk (Runcorn, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Holst: The Planets (Audio CD)
The digital format raised hopes, but did not deliver. I have heard numerous recordings on vinyl and CD, played by orchestras from many countries. The best version i had was an 80's LSO recording, until this came along...
The Direct Stream Digital recording medium and an awesome performance by the current LSO makes me feel i have come home; THIS is the one! This CD is simply the best quality recorded performance of The Planets i have ever heard, it is breathtaking in it's scope.
Mark

5.0 out of 5 stars The Planets, 18 Feb 2006
D. Bennett - See all my reviews
This review is from: Holst: The Planets (Audio CD)
Every time you listen to this CD you will be amazed at the quality of it. Excellent playing from the orchestra under the experienced direction of Davis- he makes the music shine; flexible and powerful playing from the LSO. The recording is surely demonstration quality; you cannot listen to the start of "Mars" - or any other section of the set -and not be amazed by the clarity of the sound.
For the price, this is an excellent set; it remains one of the best even compared to rivals that cost much more.

5.0 out of 5 stars out of this world, 6 Feb 2012
This review is from: Holst: The Planets (Audio CD)
I was searching for an album of the planets for quite a while,nothing struck me at all then I spotted this particular album and the name sir colin davis a name I new from a long way back when he was not "sir" an experimental album with a group called Deep Purple, I listened to a few excerpts and I decided to purchase what a delight sound quality excellent

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb performance, 30 April 2011
P. Holt (Aberystwyth) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Holst: The Planets (Audio CD)
I used to have a copy of the planets as covered by the Berlin symphony orchestra. Unfortunately I lost it so I bought this one and have to say what beautiful music this was. It was as good as the original one that I lost, the London symphony orchestra pulled off an absolute masterpiece here. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUDENT PERCEPTION, 5 Feb 2014
This review is from: Holst: The Planets (Audio CD)
I have used the CD to give year 2 children a feeling of space and the solar system, for a project this term

5.0 out of 5 stars Best "Planets" in the Universe, 19 May 2004
Joanna Daneman (USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Holst: The Planets (Audio CD)
Early 20th-century British composer Holst had a Germanic name (he was of Latvian-Russian descent) but was deeply influenced by British folk music. Hence, his music is as rooted in English tradition as Vaughn Williams or Britten. His "Planets", a series of tone poems creates a symphonic work of great magnificence, and is very popular even with those who are not classic music buffs. It's often used for documentaries, film and and theatrical works for its evocative melodies and sonorous rhythms.
Never has this suite been more wonderfully recorded than by Colin Davis. Davis and the London Symphony avoid some of the cliche mannerisms of many recordings-- in "Jupiter" there is balance of the buoyant spirit with weightiness that never goes over the top.
Incidentally, there is a "Pluto" section composed by Colin Matthews (not on this recording) that was added after Holst's death to complete the solar system, Pluto not having been discovered during Holst's lifetime. An interesting bit of trivia.

4.0 out of 5 stars Holst: The Planets, 21 May 2009
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Holst: The Planets (Audio CD)
`Holst: The Planets' was introduced to me at a young age and over the years it has lost none of it's power or magic, even after repeated listening. It runs you through the gamut of emotions, from tranquil musing, to soaring jubilation, angry fired up aggression and lilted sadness and all in a short space of time. The skill and ability of the composer to affect the human spirit from such music can not be underestimated. This performance is wonderful and sits at the top of other recordings I have and if this is your first listen of this piece you can't go far wrong in starting here. A worthy addition to any classical collection.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Planets Suite, 9 May 2014
This review is from: Holst: The Planets (Audio CD)
I first bought the Planets Suite on vinyl when I worked at Decca at the age of 16 (over 54 years ago) and have loved it ever since. The CD is an excellent version and I just adore listening to it. With the sound turned up high, you can imagine Mars the God of War charging across the sky towards the planet of the same name. A very good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Master piece, 7 May 2014
This review is from: Holst: The Planets (Audio CD)
I heard this piece of music when I was 12 and I was falling in love with it straight away. The planet's 100 year-old this year and the feeling you get from the music is still fresh. 'The Planet' is a must-have music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood, 27 Feb 2014
R.A.S. (England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Holst: The Planets (Audio CD)
This was the first classical record we were introduced to as children, very young children and I was blown away by it. To think a person translates his idea of planets into such sounds is impressive. One can disappear into the Universe with this music. He's even managed to bring emotion into those planets with his incredible musical version of them.
Incredible. You may not like all of them but please give it a chance and if you find one too much try another, personally I have a favourite planet myself, rather like one has a favourite track on a more modern genre CD or record.
Arrived in perfect condition and in the timescale promised.

Holst: The Planets