on 4 May 2005
This is one CD I could not pass up ... I already have two CDs where Lata Mangeshkar's voice is the most beautiful and spirited, therefore I had an idea I would be very pleased. Pleased? I am ecstatically happy!!! The incomparable voice, the rhythms, the instruments, the variety of films (1949, 1952, 1960s, at least one from 1970, several from the 1980s, and some from the 1990s), the tabla beat ... I could not ask more from any CD. My heartfelt thanks go out to Ken Hunt who selected the tracks. Additionally, this CD has the most extensive and informative liner notes I have seen in a long time. I can not find enough right words to praise the notes and musical selections on this CD.
REVIEW OF SELECTED CONTENTS:
Track #2 has a devotional theme. It is a magnificent way to begin any CD but especially with the poignant emotional voice of Lata Mangeshkar. It is in the "bhajan" style, which is a devotional hymn. It has a nice lyrical quality that hints at something exciting ... most likely the bright future of this very popular and talented Bollywood legend.
Track # 4 "Sare Shaher Mein" begins with a santoor which I am told is considered an "instrument of romance". There are fantastic clarinet-like or other wind instrument musical passages that sound like the Hungarian tarogato. There are hints of the Meditarranean with bouzouki-like improvisational sections and an intense tabla beat which provides trance-like qualities.
Track #6 "Aye-Dil-E-Nadan" also begins with the santoor and has wonderful orchestral arrangements along with a lovely violin section ... Again the Meditarranean music comes to mind. There are sections with soft waterfall like music which turns into more intense white water rapids at an unexpected bend in the flow of this river of sound.
Track #9 "Yeh Dil Diwana Hai" is very astonishing, exciting music. It is reminiscent of klezmer music and Israeli culture. There are definite hints of Sephardic, Mediterranean and Middle Eastern flavors ... especially when the male voice accompanies Lata Mangeshkar.
Track # 11 "Kuchh Dil Ne Kaha" has Turkish sounding instruments very likely the flute. At times the musical passages change direction and become more Asian, in fact, very Chinese sounding with soft violins, flute music and tinkling instruments like chimes. The music and Lata's voice whisper of Asian sensuality ...
Track #12 "Nainon Mein Badra Chhaye" is among my favorites. Lata's voice is very sweet, accompanied on the santoor, again the thoughts of sailing on the Meditarranean arise. Her voice has unique trills and other variations ... accompanied by the heart beat of the tabla. Absolutely sublime music and her voice is joyful and serene.
Track # 13 "Yara Seeli Seeli" is my other favorite. The title is a refrain in the song and is highly addictive. There is an unbeatable rhythm and tabla beat. The song begins with an instrument which sounds like a Chinese erhu and totally takes me by surprise. There is a clip clop rhythm that develops which is hypnotic. Lata's voice expresses intense emotions. This selection is pure joy ... the listener can not but sing along.
Overall, the whole CD is truly an outstanding representation of the wide range of musical styles and talents posessed by this most famous and beloved playback singer of Indian films.
Erika Borsos (bakonyvilla)
on 10 September 2014
She is best Indian music and songs every body loves her song's.but modern day isn't same every Indian knows that
on 6 June 2016
I liked the compilation of my favourite songs.
on 20 March 2016
Some classic songs!!
on 31 July 2013
Lovethis disk I playit every time I'm in the car. Lata is loke an angel her voice is just beautiful. If she died it would be a humongous loss to the Bollywood sectors and India probably the world! I love Lata and her songs came well packaged with no problems highly recommended.
on 15 August 2013
I heard a song by this artist on 'Something understood', a BBC Radio 4 programme which is usually rather banal and cheesy, but occasionally offers interesting musical snippets. The piece I heard seemed timeless and ethereal (maybe because I was listening at 06:00 hrs between sleep and wakefulness). The CD is rather standard Bollywood stuff, with nothing to excite me.