on 13 September 2012
I'm happy to say that it works with the Raspberry Pi - it can power itself and the RPI.

So one cable goes from the hub to the RPI's power-in-micro-usb port.
Another cable goes from the hub's USB B socket (the squarish one) to the RPI's USB port.

This way, you only need to use the hub's supplied power adapter and it powers both the hub and the RPI.

One thing to keep in mind - sometimes it can be a bit fiddly if you attempt to pull the hub's power and put it back in. I've found that I had to remove the cable going to the RPI's USB port, start the device, then plug the cable back in. YMMV, this may be a problem that only I am experiencing.

Update - June 30 2014 - I have used this continuously for about 2 years now without turning it off. It has powered a Raspberry Pi, also for 2 years.
44 comments|34 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 7 February 2013
Works fine (with Raspberry Pi) both as power supply and USB extender. It says I need to add 8 more words to submit so I have. I think I'm supposed to say something about tax avoidance as well but other people seem to be handling that.
on 16 May 2011
This hub does seem to do its job. I have tested it with a 500mA device and PS3, a combination which doesn't work with my previous hub.
on 30 May 2012
I bought this to expand the number of USB ports available on my Acer laptop. It does the job admirably and due to the fact it is self-powered, drains no current from the PC. I would recommend it.
on 11 August 2013
I have a MyBook Duo NAS. Now some may say 6TB of storage is enough, and for your average user it probably is.

But I have a lot of storage needs, I also wanted to use external Drives to backup certain folders from the NAS. Unfortunately the MyBook only comes with 1 usb port. And I like more (for usb pan copying, backup drives, etc)

You have to be careful powering multiple drives of one NAS drive, So i needed a decent quality hub with its own power. And one that would not cost a fortune to get.

This Hub fitted the bill at first look, But I was not 100% it would do the job I needed. But at the price well it would have been silly not to risk it.

I am glad I did. Cheap, Well built, And does everything I need it too.

I would recommend it to anyone.
on 16 February 2013
If you have a RPI this is a great piece of kit.
With it I can power the Pi, plug in the WiFi, keyboard, mouse and still have a port spare.
Other hubs that aren't self powered don't seem to allow you to run keyboard or mouse never mind WiFi.
Arguable a few extra ports would be good but hey, for under a tenner, this is well worth it.
on 12 March 2013
Bought to use with RPi. So many hubs don't work so when I found this on the RPi verified peripherals webpage at a good price and with some RPi positive reviews I bought one. It powers the Pi using one USB out. It seems well made and the PSU powered my wireless keyboard/mouse, Edimax EW-7711UAN WiFi adapter leaving two USB ports free without signs of distress getting only lukewarm after two hours. If it keeps going as it is I'm well pleased. Comes with 80cm USB A to USB B type lead which may be a lttle short if your Pi is mounted on the back of a large monitor but they're easy to get, with the PSU lead around 1.5m long. (note this is also known as the (NLUSB2-222) hub.)
on 1 February 2009
The 4 ports simply did not work with the power plug in. It worked ok as an unpowered 4 ports USB expansion, but that wasn't why I bought it. Rubbish.
on 9 January 2016
after working fine for a few months this hub has just fried 2 usb sticks and an external hard drive. I initially couldnt figure how 2 usb sticks had stopped working at the same time, suspected my pc's usb ports. I borrowed my girlfriends external HD to test my pc, it worked no problem. Then I plugged the drive into this hub and ...nothing... well nothing except a whiff of burnt plastic and now this external drive doesn't work either. So this hub has cost me close to a £100 and I've lost all our back up data. I've Just tested the power supply that came with this powered hub and despite being marked as a 5v 2A supply it is outputing nearly 11V! No wonder my equipment is fried.
review image review image
on 31 May 2014
Works really well.

As other reviewers have mentioned it is possible to power the Raspberry Pi from one one of the 4 ports - by connecting it with a USB and micro-USB cable.

It comes with a USB A-B cable (the more common USB plug at one end and the squarer one at the other). The A-B cable runs from the Raspberry Pi (A) back into the Hub (B).

That leaves three ports free - for mouse, keyboard, whatever.

And a free USB port on the Raspberry Pi. The power seems to be needed though - I found I couldn't get three devices connected to the Raspberry Pi without this hub - so not sure whether that free USB port will always work.