on 11 June 2009
I bought this item to improve my digital signal ready for the analogue turn off/digital turn on.Previously I would take a portable TV into the attic and move the ariel around until I got the best picture.Using this device is much simpler.Already I've improved the signal to my existing Freeview box and have set up another ariel in the attic for a different TV.Just connect it to your ariel,switch it on and move the ariel until as many green lights light-up as possible then tighten the ariel clamp and you are finished.Easy.I would reccomend it.
on 25 April 2009
Comes with adaptors to convert RF to F-type connector and vice-versa.
Set up my Philex loft aerial to pick up the strongest Freeview signal in no time.
Now I receive all freeview channels and not just a selection.
My roof aerial redundant so I don't have to worry about weather, birds, or paying extortionate prices to get someone out to go up on the roof and adjust the outside aerial.
Paid for itself already.
REALLY pleased.
Great price & prompt delivery
11 comment|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 June 2010
I purchased this product with the specific use for using in my touring caravan.gone are the days of fiddling with aerials.you plug this device into your aerial connection and turn aerial until you get all led,s lite.it can be used in minutes and this particular model was a lot less costly than similar products.a light compact piece of kit.great.
on 7 September 2009
Nicely made, and the adaptors are useful. But in a weak signal area you need to capture every available decibel. A 3 dB increase means a factor of 2 increase in power ratio; the 10 dB light steps are too blunt in this situation. Also, the unlit bulbs pick up every bit of ambient light; so if you're outside in the daytime with a roof aerial, or anywhere lit at night, you have to shield the face to see which bulbs are lit. However, good value.
on 14 February 2010
No need to have two people when you use this little item, at first I thought it had to be connected inline with the aerial and TV but upon using it found it only needed to have the aerial plugged into it, which is what I expected, very very easy to use and makes installing the aerial a very simple task without the need for help other than to hold the ladder for safe use (if your up a ladder). I installed mine in the loft so was alone during the process which normally would have me shouting down to someone at the TV telling me when the picture is perfect only to find that when I moved away from or near to the aerial for the signal to change again, this doesn't happen with this little tool. May seem a lot of dosh to spend only to be used once in a long time but to me it was worth saving on the frustration and it will be used again even if it is only for indoor aerials. The other use it would have is to leave it inline all the time if using a variable booster or an attenuator so you can monitor signal strengths
on 1 May 2013
I have a Loft ariel, connected to a 3 way philex plug in booster, to put signal to 3 bedroom TV's
After 4 years, I lost a couple of channels on my bedroom TV, and even retuning made matters worse as i lost even more... and thought to buy this little gizmo to re- align my ariel, and hope it would be positioned a lot better since this meter shows you when you are pointing in the optimal direction.

I alrady purchased the small square type battery, before hand knowing that this meter does not come with one included, and when the meter arrived, i tried it out... having read the very simple instructions on the back of the packet.
I was pleasantly surprised when i plugged this meter in, that it did indeed show me that i was not in the optmal direction - 4 Green lights.

I positioned the ariel as per instructions, and finding the mid point between the 4 Green lights... What this means is that if you move your ariel and find 4 Green lights at say the 12 O'clock position, and keep moving the ariel until you reach the 2 O'clock position before the green lights move to 3 or 2, then move the ariel back to the mid point - the 1 O'clock position.

Sadly, when i came down from the loft, my smile was turned to a frown when i still couldnt get the missing channels.

With a lot of head scratching, and huffing and puffing, and some very choice words... I finaly sussed out that my particular problem lay in the 3 way booster... it had lost the power (for whatever reason) to allow 3 ariels to be used anymore...

My other 2 TV's had now a perfect picture in all the freeview receptions, and even gained a few more of the radio ones, and a few more of the less watched channels in the 600 700 range - for me anyway.

I purchased another loft ariel (£15.00 high gain freeview digital 40 element) just for my bedroom TV, and used this meter again as per instructions, and I now have all the available freeview channels.

At only £8.00, this has saved me a considerable sum if I had called in an '' Ariel Fitter'' who would have did exactly as I had done, but charged me a considerable bit more.

There is a mixed bag of reviews here about this meter... some it worked with, and some it didnt... all i can suggest is to check your actual fittings again, as the meter will work by showing you the optimal position your ariel should be placed... but if your fittings are not fitted properly - ie, the co-ax connections are loose or badly fitted cable within, or the cable within the main ariel is badly fitted, then its a pointless excercise, as the signal will be distorted!

This meter showed me that I was indeed eventauly facing the optimal direction, but since I still couldnt get all my channels, I knew that my problem MUST be elsewhere... and it was!
Having checked all my co-ax connections, the only possible thing left that could be at fault was the booster itself... and it was!

If not for using this meter, there would be no way of telling me whether I was facing the right optimal direction or no, and I would have spent many hours up and down the ladder moving ariel bit by bit with no chance whatsoever of it working... as it shown me my problem lay elsewhere, so for that alone it deseves 5 stars... and another 5 for making it really easy to set the ariel in loft once, come down, close the hatch, re-tune TV, and all channels would simply work!
on 2 July 2009
It is a good quality instrument, you may not use it very often but it is spot on when you do and at this price it is well worth having one in your tool box. It does save so much aggravation it tells you just what you need to know, which direction the strongest signal is coming from.
on 3 January 2010
I bought this product to help with setting up an aerial (and associated cabling) for some friends.

A very useful product to have to hand. It helped identify some poor connections and diagnose other issues. It's not really necessary to have anything more complex unless you're a professional aerial fitter.
on 28 September 2012
One of indicator lamps (at 70) does not light, so useless.
Cannot say when signal is getting weaker, when stronger.
For some reason system did not let me order replacement, so have to send it back for a refund.
review image
Complete rubbish.
Displayed 2 leds regardless of which direction the house tv aerial was pointed...
Same with the caravan aerial too...

Yes, it DOES display more LEDs when in an area of good reception, but don't bother with this item if you're planning on using it work out which way to aim your aerial. This only tells you if there's a TV signal presence.. I have a TV that does that!