VINE VOICEon 25 January 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I rarely opt for the paid for Anti Virus products but this is well worth using over AVG or NOD32.

1) Its a doddle to install, a complete novice couldnt go wrong
2) Its very unobtrusive, tells you what issues there are when they need attention and thats it. It just sits there protecting the system.
3) Effective, this picks up threats that have previously been overlooked by AVG!
4) You wont notice it running! Unless you run a dinosaur of a PC you wont notice any lack of performance (I actually installed this on an old P3 machine which was pretty slow to start with and it was still very light!)

With blended attacks and constant new trojans and viruses its time to ditch the free protection and get some serious security on your PC!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 23 November 2008
OMG!!!! Awesome
I had NOD32 Pro on my computer and it was just running out of its subscription,
so I put this on and it found a few things and got rid of them for me.
I had just scanned the day before with my other virus software and it didnt pick them up!
I also put it on my daughters laptop and she had Avira on there and it found 8 things wrong and got rid of them.

I think this is as good as BitDefender and it has some of the same things in this program as it too.

It was very easy to install, easy to use and set up. And even on the 2nd computer too.
I like the user interface, it was easy to understand and a very unintrusive software package that has you covered on all nasty things the net can through at you.
After a restart of my PC, it asks for an email address to create an account, BullGuard even creates a ppassword for you but I chose my own.

I contacted their customer support with a few stupid questions and they emailed me back with answers, within an hour or so. And it was from a real person, not the generic type they send.
They even have live support too.

I like the free 5gb storage you get with an account with them too. Might come in handy for some people.

I noticed how my computer wasnt slowed down while this was running in the background.
While it is in its learning mode it does tell you about what it has allowed access, or is allowing access so you can block it if you want,
but after that you dont get pestered or bothered like with most others of the type.

For 1 year on 3 computers it is a relatively good bargain for a good program.

This is definately 10 out of 10 and I cant beleive I have never tried this program before.

Fast, User Friendly & Efficent.
on 26 February 2009
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Usually I would open one of my reviews with a clever remarks of some sort. As it is I am aiming to keep this review simple and to the point. In a nutshell - I am very impressed by the Bullguard programme.

While I cannot claim to understand the underlying computer principles of the programme - its accessibility in terms of being able to monitor the functions of the computer is absolutely marvelous. I have had a few months now to search around the control panel - doing quick and indepth virus scans, updates and the like. One aspect I cannot comment on is the backup function.

Many would freak out at having found a virus trying to creep its way into your computer - I was actually quite excited watching Bullguard go to work at a very fast and efficient manner that did not interupt my work. A special note goes to the effectiveness of the firewall. I previously used the Windows Firewall - but Bullguard blocks and informs you that it has done so - luckily the programme has picked up two attempts at a port scan - the prelude to a hacker attempt. Both attempts were blocked.

Another point to note is that you can install the programme on 3 PC's using the same account details. My own PC and my mums now has it. As I said previously - the programme usual running does not interupt or slow down the computer. Having previously used the god-awful McAfee programme which blocked and questioned everything - this is quite a plus point for me.

A great piece of software that is functional, accessible and does not slow down the PC. Like a good British Bulldog - any hacker or virus that tries to get past the gate - is only likely to get a good bite for their troubles.

UPDATE: Since the installation of the software - by computer has been prone to seizing up when surfing the web. There was no such problems before BullGuard. Perhaps a problem to keep in mind?
on 3 June 2009
Bullguard is the best and most user friendly AV software for computer and internet users. I've used McAfee and Norton but happily returned to Bullguard because it's easier to handle and understand. Let's face it, you want software that lets you feel you're in control and that you are making the decisions. No more messages like "Gobbledegook, gobbledegook: `yes' or `no'", or being given information that appears to have been written by a dyslexic having a bad day and asking you to do something about it.

With Bullguard everything is in understandable English. Even where you're not sure about what to do, the default action will refer it to Bullguard so they can decide whether or not it's safe to allow the required action and they will respond immediately to let you know whether it was safe or not.

The Main page of the program gives an overview of your account status and makes recommendations for any actions you might want to take - all at the touch of a button.

The Antivirus and Antispyware pages allow you to check and adjust the levels of protection, run various scans or even set up your own scan, schedule scans, check the results of previous scans, view suspect files that get quarantined and either delete them or submit them to Bullguard for analysis. What's more, because Bullguard takes care to identify to you every type of virus, malware, dodgey cookie and the like, you have a good chance of being able to identify from where you (or the kids) may have picked it up and do something to block the source so it doesn't happen again.

The Firewall gets a bit more complex, although there are simple enough settings. There's even a panic button so that, in a worst case scenario, you can stop all computer traffic to enable you time to sort out a particularly malicious attack. On the Activity and Logs tabs you can see exactly what parts of your computer are actually accessing the internet (and who's accessing your computer) and just what they've been doing since you logged on.

There's a user friendly Spamfilter that can be set up to run with your email software, with a Whitelist (friendly, nice addresses; hurray!) and Blacklist (dodgey, nasty spam addresses; boo!) facility to which you can add your own addresses or set up Bullguard to add addresses automatically.

If you want to make a regular backup of all or just some of your important files Bullguard has various amounts of space available for you to manually or automatically back them up to their online storage facility. The Backup section keeps you informed of what and when you've backed up, with opportunity to amend any settings to suit your requirements. There's even more space available on request.

Lastly, but by no means least, is the Support. Bullguard is available 24/7! This doesn't mean you MAY get a response within 24 hours, if you're lucky; you can actually talk to someone directly in real time if you like and they will help sort you out there and then. Even an emailed query will receive a reply within the hour. (I can hardly get friends and family to reply that quickly). The Message Centre tab will keep you on top of all your queries and there's even more help available (FAQ, forums and the like) through the programme/website.

When it comes to price it is easily comparable to other leading brands, yet it gives SO much more and is SO much friendlier to use. The license allows for it to be used on up to three home computers. You can also get Bullguard protection for your mobile phone. How's that for thorough! Just look around and you can find some great bargains at Amazon so it needn't be too expensive for those on a tight budget.

All in all, with a product so easy to understand and manage, so competent at recognising and dealing with all threats to your computer (Bullguard has detected things on my computer that Norton missed), and offering so much accessible support to all levels of user, this should be on everyone's computer.

You may have realised by now that I'm a fan! But can you blame me?
review image review image review image review image review image review image
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
You hear "BullGuard" and you know you're protected. It's up there with the best of them, Norton and the such. And, I actually prefer this interface to Norton's. Norton's interface seems over eager to tell you things and ask questions, this just works quietly in the background and keeps YOU protected.
on 10 February 2009
Bullguard has been the best internet security software I've used. Has stopped numerous attacks, easy to use and doesn't seem to mess up or slow down your system (unlike Norton).

Don't wait til it runs out 'cos the Bullguard online re-subscription is VERY steep, and much cheaper to buy a newer copy from Amazon.BullGuard Internet Security version 8.5, 3 user license, 1 year subscription (PC)
VINE VOICEon 2 December 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
With Norton/Symantec about to run out, I thought I would try this as an alternative particularly as I was unhappy with the speed of my machine and the constant Registry errors caused by Norton.
Using Windows XP - old but not very full machine and little or no knowledge.
Loading - really fast and simple. First time and no glitches.
Anti Virus - looks good and I found very easy to understand. They seem to have kept this relatively simple and user friendly. Particularly like the comments regarding "Update Schedules". If you don't want to be caught out by an update when you're doing something else, do it manually! Someone at Bullguards been irritated by automatic updates - just like me!
Love the Backup to disc facility. This is new to me and I've used it to back up all files and e mails. Magic and simple with clear instructions.
Had a problem with the Anti spam which just didn't seem to work properly or at all. So, I tried the "we'll reply in 1 hour" e mail support system. Well, they did and were well within the time after the next three or four e mails sent trying to resolve this. Unfortunately, beyond reloading and checking how I had set this up, they could offer no solution. They have sent a log of my records to be analysed and will make any changes to the "next core update"! Not a lot of good when you've spent good money buying this, particularly when the most irritating day to day problem is Spam.
So, I've gone back to Spamfighter which is free to domestic users and works a treat. I was using that already because the Norton system was slow and unreliable.
So, overall a vast improvement. Machine is twice as fast particularly when using the internet. System is simple (to me) and user friendly. Support system is easily accessed but poor on content. Anti spam is of no use.
I use Outlook Express which seems to give a few Anti Spam systems a problem so maybe if you are using Outlook, you will not have this problem.
I was hoping to give all good news - shame really - but I'd still buy it for the antivirus alone.

Update 3/12/2008.

Bullguard have contacted me and the problem is sorted. This was a "Norton" fault on program removal! They have updated their software to prevent this happening again.
I'm well impressed both with their desire to correct the problem (which must have been escalated internally) and the ease of use of the "Chat" support system.
I want to give them 5 stars now but Amazon won't let me!
VINE VOICEon 19 March 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The bulldog, whilst being synonymous with British wartime spirit, etc, is not exactly revered as the most adroit of animals. I'm sure they make very nice pets (please, no angry letters from bulldog owners) but that funny walk and their droopy, slobbering jaws are a bit of an acquired taste...

So, what the hell as this got to do with the product itself? Well, at the risk of stretching this metaphor to breaking point, I feel the two share more than just a name in common. Having had this for a whole year, it's now up for renewal and I'm in two minds as to bother with this or another utility.

On the plus side, it's easy to setup and keep running (like bulldogs, with nice short hair - low maintenance). Didn't really need the manual to do this, which was a good sign. You can set timings for scheduled scans and it takes care of checking for updates all by itself (I'll resist the temptations to say, "fetch!").
It blocked lots and lots of port scans and found the odd virus infection. On one occasion, I had to put the machine into 'safe mode' to finally get the offending article removed. This still didn't work so I contacted the helpline. I was sceptical about sending an email off to an anonymous helpdesk, but, to their credit I got a *very* prompt reply from someone explaining exactly what I needed to do. No gibberish tech-speak, simple join the dots stuff. Job done.

Downsides? Even after I read the instructions, a year on I *still* don't know how to run an ad hoc scan on an external device (USB memory sticks, for example, are notorious for transmitting viruses etc). Compare this with (free) utilities like AVG; much cleaner interface and great functionality.
Another thing is, when it's running any kind of scan, it *really* slowed my machine down (a Sony Vaio VGN=TX5XN). It got to the point where I would habitually interrupt the scans to allow me to do something else ... even having one browser window open was a struggle. I'd end up leaving it on overnight, which seems like a bit of a waste of electricity.

Considering I get a free copy of McAfee with my broadband subscription, I'm unlikely to renew my subscription for this product.

I wouldn't say it's a waste of money, just be prepared for serious lag in your machine's performance - which, to be fair, I've also experienced with Symantec. If the interface was improved a bit then I'd be tempted.

Maybe a good idea to get something like this if you are an out-and-out newbie. However, if you've played with other security utilities you might find this lacking in a few crucial areas.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 November 2008
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Bullguard installation was surprisingly easy with limited fuss and very little popup menus, although you do need to restart and then enter the licence code and have an internet connection ready to start your years subscription. Bullguard also offers 5 Gb of online backup which is useful for avoiding data loss and can be scheduled to run whenever or how often you like. You can select to restore information from your online backup to your hard drive and make a shortcut of your online drive on your desktop to make viewing the information there easier. You can't edit any files on your online backup area but at least you know it's safe and not lost. You can select any file or folder to back up that you want which is great and you can schedule this backup at any time. In addition to this you can compress or encrypt your information too.
Be aware that when you first connect to the internet with Bullguard activated there will be a delayed reaction in internet explorer working normally. This is because Bullguard automatically sets up protection for running your internet programme and may be alarming at first, but should soon return to normal operation. It will also ask you to set up spam filtering when you open your email. You can set up safe and spam emails and Bullguard will search your current contacts list as well as people you have emailed to and received mail from and bases protection on this information.
Bullguard works surprisingly well compared to other internet protection software and does not seem resource hungry. I run an Intel Celeron 2.8Ghz and 1.18Gb RAM and it runs without slowing other programs down or start up/shut down of other programs.

Overall it's fairly unobtrusive software protection that will keep your system safe as well as back up your information somewhere safe which you can restore at any time. I'm unsure what happens to your access to this information at the end of the subscription period but I certainly hope that you can still get to it.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
What, ANOTHER Internet security suite?!? . . . I've tried quite a few, but Bullguard was a refreshing surprise. In with the CD and installation took only a few minutes. All the essentials are there: antivirus and antispyware, a two-way firewall and spam filtering.

These functions "just work" without nagging you or reducing PC performance. Frequent updates go on silently without the appalling fuss of a Norton Liveupdate, and I got the impression that Bullguard was designed with consideration for the users rather than with the intention of showing off the program functions. My 4-year-old XP laptop is not bothered. Some of the fancy pieces in other suites are not there. There are no "tune-up" functions, and no classification of websites when you do a search. Good points were the plain-English printed user guide, concise on-screen displays and help, and the Bullguard website with more information and FAQs. You also get a 5GB online backup storage allocation which is enough for vital docs and photos or anything else that you might lose if theft or fire carried off your PC and its external backup. This function locates what to backup (you can modify the choice) and quietly sends it upline when the PC is otherwise idle, and it is very easy to see what is on your remote space.

Above others I've used -- Norton, McAffee, Kaspersky, AVG -- Bullguard is what I would recommend to my friends.