‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful Music, 22 Sept. 2008
This review is from: Concierto (Audio CD)
With the exception of very twee country music and gangster rap I consider myself as having a very wide musical palette (and album collection to match).
Jazz makes up a small % of that collection and though my taste in music is wide and varied, I'm not easily impressed when it comes to 'versions' of music, a track or song whose original is of the highest standard, Concierto De Aranjuez being a case in point.
But I have to say that when I heard the track Concierto de Aranjuez from Jim Hall's 'Concierto' album, (on Classic Jazz FM at two in the morning) not only did it wake me up (in the nicest of ways), but it totally blew me away, it truly is 'Beautiful'. The soloing by Chet Baker and Paul Desmond is of the highest calibre - with their placing an emphasis on less is more.

Also (like most people) I have to really like something these days before I part with my hard earned cash, but upon hearing that track alone - I knew I had to buy the CD.

Having done so, I can wholeheartedly recommend the whole CD to you.

This is the kind of album that can be played whilst enjoying a long luxurious bath, whilst chilling with friends, wine and good food, or in the wee small hours....etc etc Go On Treat Yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars There really is no need for another review here..., 19 July 2012
Redhenry (Northern England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Concierto (Audio CD)
... but I thought I'd join in anyway, having recently discovered this wonderful album. Where has it been all my adult life? Jim Hall, Chet Baker, Paul Desmond, Roland Hanna, Ron Carter, Steve Gadd? You might think that this is one of those dream line-ups that might not be as good as you'd expect. Well, it's every bit as good. The Concierto d'Aranjuez is the stand-out track at nearly 20 minutes of soft, melodic solos, underpinned by a gently pulsating rhythm section, but all the other tracks on the album are also superb. These were all tunesmiths par excellence and it is a delight to hear them all together.

5.0 out of 5 stars An almost perfect example of this style, 19 Feb. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Concierto (Audio CD)
This is close to my favourite jazz recording and I often play this the morning after a big party to chill-out before sleep. It is far from experimental, or challenging, but is a supremely relaxed and elegiac piece. The production is beautifully rich sounding like a lost film score, and each solo improves on the last until roland Hannas final piano. I far prefer it to the Miles Davis version.
It will definitely appeal to chill-out DJs and soundtrack fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss this - one of Jim Hall's best, 15 Feb. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Concierto (Audio CD)
A truly emotional piece. Especially Concierto de Aranjuez stands as a highlight in Jim Halls career. Smooth, soulful to the extreme. Can make your evening after a day's work.
Recorded in 1975 with Jim Hall, Chet Baker, Paul Desmond, Roland Hanna, Ron Carter and Steve Gadd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Every track, not just the title track is absolutely superb. A true masterpiece of jazz music., 14 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Concierto (Audio CD)
I have owned this album for many years. The version that I have has only six tracks. Since there are several "alternate" takes I guess the music on mine is much the same as the nine track version.

This album dates from 1975 when he was in mid career (his earliest recordings are circa 1955 with Chico Hamilton) since he only passed on last December (2013) aged 83. I have many albums featuring him and this probably ranks as his finest, enhanced by the superb company: Paul Desmond (alto), Chet Baker (tpt) [despite being in declining health due to years of self abuse, he plays beautifully throughout], Sir Roland Hanna (p), Ron Carter (b) and finally, Steve Gadd (d). What a sextet!

Every track is a creation of beauty, the six musicians playing so mutually sensitively to produce one of the greatest jazz albums of all time. The tunes chosen are ballad tempo; very thoughtful and relaxing in the West Coast Cool tradition. Each musician should be well known enough to jazz aficionados that the sing their individual merits is unnecessary.

First Gil Evans and Miles Davis introduced Rodrigo's seminal composition "Concierto de Aranjuez" to jazz audiences (Sketches of Spain). Then the M.J.Q made a couple of recordings and finally Jim Hall. All versions have their merits, but perhaps this twenty minute version is probably the finest of them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Within a few plays it soon became on of my favourite albums, 25 July 2013
This review is from: Concierto (Audio CD)
Within a few plays it soon became on of my favourite albums. Jim Hall plays so well, with feeling and finese. The interaction between Paul Desmond and Chet Baker is great and they compliment each other.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful jazz guitar, 12 Jan. 2010
This review is from: Concierto (Audio CD)
This is a very relaxing but deep and complex jazz album. Jim Hall has created a masterpeice and I would put this in my top ten best jazz albums of all time, never get sick of listening to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Melodic Masterpiece, 21 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Concierto (Audio CD)
I purchased the second copy of this masterpiece a while back as I think I wore out the first one with so many plays!! I own a large eclectic collection of music but the majority is jazz and this album is up there with the best I have ever heard. It helps when three of my all time favourite jazz musicians are in this line up Hall, Desmond and Baker. Words fail me really to get across the beauty of the music on Concierto. Just buy it, pour yourself your favourite tipple, sit back and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jazz at its finest, 4 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Concierto (Audio CD)
This album is absolutely amazing, every track is a classic. I recommend anyone who is into jazz to buy this album. Without a doubt Steve Gadd's performance on drums is phenomenal and Chet Baker yet again demonstrates the precious art of blowing the horn.

This is worth every single penny and i do not say that very often about albums. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars New to Jazz, 15 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Concierto (Audio CD)
After a couple of nights in a Paris jazz club, I just started to like jazz. This is what I like.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›