5.0 out of 5 stars Forget Brand Snobbery
Well, I ummed and aaghed about this one. It was a toss up between Canon, Sigma and Tamron variants in the wide angle range. The Tamron won out in the end based on pretty good reviews (although some brand name die hard reviewers did do their best to torpedo it) and cost.

It came next day, so excellent service from Amazon themselves.

Open the nicely...
Published on 4 Sep 2010 by TiredTeddyBear

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent lens......if used properly!
I'd mulled over which super-wide to purchase for my 7D for quite some time. I eventually settled on this one after balancing out various pros and cons. I was looking for something affordable and sharp.

Published 9 months ago by Private Custard

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget Brand Snobbery, 4 Sep 2010
This review is from: Tamron SP AF 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 Di II LD Aspherical Lens for Canon (Accessory)

It came next day, so excellent service from Amazon themselves.

Open the nicely presented box and you'll find a solidly built lens body, hood and instructions. The lens its self feels well put together. It may feel heavy in your hand but, when mounted on to the camera body (500D in my case) it feels surprisingly well balanced. The motor is quiet but AF is a tad slower than I expected but, somehow due to size and feel of the lens body you kind of accept it so it's not enough to mark it down a star based on that. The lens hood feels pretty robust and it locates easily onto the lens body without the worry that it could snap if not correctly located. One thing I'd hasten to add about the hood, although it's designed to be removed and turned around for storage on the lens body when not in use, you won't really be able to stow it in your kit bag still attached. It's wider than the lens it's self and therefore needs more room if it's still fitted.

Colours are crisp but I would add that this lens really does benefit from the use of a Circular Polarised Filter especially if there is the possibility of glass reflection or photographing over open water on a bright day. Very slight chromatic arberration at the edges which an easily be dealt with post processing especially if you shoot in RAW. It was a lot less than I was led to believe in reviews but, that could be down to my subjects and my own personalised camera settings. The downer with having a lens of this size is the cost of the filters; 77cm are not the cheapest!

Wide open, images can be a little soft (but in my experience the Canon software could do with being better at handling sharper images, NIKON are better at that) so it's hard to say if was user error or below parr onboard processing.

Based on the days useage I've had with it, I've caught images that have really opened up a whole new world for me. It's great for landscapes (although some images did come out a bit softer than I would have liked in that department), buildings and anything architectural take on a whole new perspective (however, if you don't like warped perspectives, LR, PS or similar can remove the distortion). Don't just think this lens is only good for the above, think out of the box with it and you can do some fun things. People and objects look kind of funky when taken in 'close up'. It really does open the potential for some artistic exploration.

For the money, you can't go wrong. If you're determined to have nothing but Canon glass in your bag then go ahead but the extra money you'll splash out won't always get you the better result. The money you save buying the Tamron will allow you to get a UV an CP filter and still have enough over to go and buy a bag of chips! (Also the meanies at Canon don't include the Lens hood - I know, some people don't bother with them anyway)

I've based my 5 star rating on the value and quality of the images for the money I've had out of it so far. For me it's now going to be an essential lens in my everyday kit. It's sturdy and practical in a workman-like manner, it certainly won't win any prizes for it's looks, it may have a lens hood that might be a pain in the @r$e to store and a tacky Gold ring on it (more colour matched for Nikon I think) but it really does deliver the goods and I personally think is a poke in the eye for some of the biased brand reviewers out there.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very impressive and affordable!, 19 Nov 2011
Roger Green "Mac Fan" (Bedfordshire, England) - See all my reviews
I've had this lens for over a year now and it hardly leaves my 60D when I'm out and about. I find that you need a wide angle lens of this size to gain coverage of landscapes and cityscapes and it does this very well plus an outstanding zoom range. Yes it has some chromatic aberration issues at the outer reaches of the image but I can correct this somewhat when post processing in Adobe Lightroom. All in all I am very satisfied with it and in my opinion does a good job without breaking the bank and buying the Canon 10-20.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great lens for the price., 28 Sep 2011
This is a very good lens which is especially sharp around f8, it does suffer from chromatic aberration somewhat but most photo software can correct this easily enough.
My lens is presently with Tamron's service department because it stopped communicating with my 7D when in portrait orientation, luckily Tamron offer a 5yr warranty (if you register within two months of buying)so it's not a problem. My lens is 16 months old.
It loses one star because of this temporary fault, apart from that I am very happy with this lens.

3.0 out of 5 stars A decent lens......if used properly!, 29 Jun 2013

This lens hasn't disappointed on those two fronts, with my only complaint being the serious image softness at the corners. But this is a seriously wide lens, the corners will always suffer as things stretch away at the extremes.

Focus seems quick enough, considering it'll only ever be used for slow or stationary subjects. It's a little noisy, but really nothing to worry about.

A good, solid performer....and a worthy addition to the kit bag of someone who only occasionally comes down to super-wide territory from his usual 400-560mm.

5.0 out of 5 stars Taking a risk!, 23 Feb 2013
Initially I did think I might be taking a risk buying this lens, particularly after ordering it and finding several reviews which remarked upon the "softness" of the images produced! Well you can judge for yourselves as I have added the images I took of Quarry House to the images for this product, and I personally am very pleased with the results. I also purchased a Hoya Pro-digital Polarising filter from Amazon, and it is narrow enough not to cause any vignetting at the apertures I will normally be using this lens. f8, f11 as I plan on using it for photo's of landscapes and city buildings. I did have to crop the images somewhat to correct the converging verticals, but this building is on top of a steep hill and one has no choice but to angle the camera upwards.

I did at first find the lens a little heavy, but soon got used to it and it does balance well. It was also awkward it was also awkward adjusting the polariser with the lenshood in place, but again you get used to it.

So all in all I would conclude that I am well pleased with the lens and it certainly was not the risk I thought it might have been. I would certainly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth every penny, 19 Dec 2012
had this lens for a few months now and i have to say that iv hardly taken it off my camera. the image quality is fantastic even on my entry level 1000d and the sweeping view really adds a whole new level to shot composition. i cant draw a true comparison to any other lens of this kind having only used this one but i am so glad i made the jump and brought the lens. its not the cheapest accessory you will ever buy for your camera but chances are it will be one of you most used.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Where I Least Expected, 19 Feb 2012
Mark A. Brammer (UK) - See all my reviews
I've debated back and forth for a few years now on whether to add an extreme wide-angle zoom to my set of Canon mid to high range lenses. I've previously purchased only Canon or an occasional Sigma, looking down on Tamron as a third-best option I wouldn't take. However, when asked to do a serious of architectural illustrations by a close friend, I decided it was time to buy. I re-read reviews for both the Canon and Sigma, noting that even those referred to this lens as a direct and likely more versatile lens. So, risk taken, I ordered it. What a great impression from the first photograph! Low light performance is very good, the focus is sharp - particularly shooting from 5.6 onwards, and it seems a solid build. I have to admit I still have brand snobbery and frown when I see 'Tamron' mounted on my camera- but this lens proves me wrong every time I use it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tamron 10-24mm, 13 Feb 2013
D. Watt (Scotland) - See all my reviews
Awesome lens. so far I have used it for a few out door shoots and find it the perfect landscape lens for the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Purchase, 27 Jan 2011
I bought this lens after researching many lenses within my budget. I have always owned Canon lenses, but couldn't afford a new Canon wide angle lens, I looked at Sigma and Tamron for a cheaper but just as good equivalent.

Although I have only been out with this lens on a couple of occassions, its been impressive so far! Its well built, feels quite balanced on the camera, quite quick at focusing and quiet. It also comes with a lens hood which Canon charge you extra for. Although there might be a few technical and scientific differences between the cheaper Tamron and more expensive Canon lens, if your on a budget then this is the lens for you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great lens for a great price, 20 Nov 2010
P. G. Knott (UK) - See all my reviews
Although I have not used this lens a lot, I have used it enough to know it is a great lens for a great price. Images under a variety of lighting conditions including flash are very sharp. Overall I am very pleased with it and look forward to getting a lot more pleasure from it.

ARRAY(0xb0835dec)