5.0 out of 5 stars Premium Clannad - Spellbinding & Inspirational, 12 Jan 2001
This review is from: Landmarks (Audio CD)
From first track til last, Landmarks id beautiful, evocative and moving. My favourite Clannad tracks have always been those that invoke a sense of loss, enchantment and timeless places and Landmarks does just that. Their unbeatable blend of traditional and contemporary sound, returns somewhat to their earlier work (Magical Ring, etc) while, refreshingly, I found that I had not heard any of these tracks on previous albums or compilations by the band.
A must for all Clannad fans (both old and new), and anyone who enjoys excellent celtic influenced music.
The 5 stars are well earned in my book. BUY THIS ALBUM!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb!, 16 May 2001
This review is from: Landmarks (Audio CD)
I think that 'Landmarks' by Clannad has to be one of their best albums to date. As usual it has a decent helping of the Irish evocative music that we so love them for, but also a bit of modern rhythm, especially in An Gleann. But don't let this put you off, 'Landmarks' is a wonderful album that evokes the beautiful scenery of Ireland. This appreciation and love of their homeland shines through on Of This Land, a slow, haunting song with a lilting Irish whistle in the background. Anyway, I hope that this review has turned you on to the wonderful sound of Clannad. Buy this album...you won't regret it!

4.0 out of 5 stars No more bitter winds, no more troubles seas ..., 30 Jan 2006
This review is from: Landmarks (Audio CD)
"Landmarks" is a miracle of class, marked by a stylization and rarefaction of sound from celtic tradition, but without the nullification of music and performers of the deceiving "Macalla". "Landmarks" is also a personal triumph for lead vocalist Máire Brennan. She signs here words and music of the ballads "Of This Land" and "Let Me See", and gives life to some of her most striking interpretations. Song texts are a fine work of poetry in this album - other notable contributions coming from Noel Duggan for "The Bridge of Tears" and from Ciarán Brennan for "Autumn Leaves Are Falling". In the ballad for guitar and low whistle "Fadó" the voice of Máire, cradling the song words of Padraig Duggan, turns regret into melody. "A Mhuirnín O" is a rhythmically playful record of a fancied celtic ritual, very much a Clannad tradition. "Of This Land" is a vocal ballad on Ireland for low whistle, uillean pipes, spanish guitar and bodhrán, with a slow, beatiful cadency. A joyful guitar record, "The Golden Ball" creates a musical break before the magnificent romanticism of the poetical "The Bridge Of Tears" where, in a musical aura of guitars and uillean pipes, the limpid voice of Máire tells us of hurting emotions from 'The last embrace, the final touch' - rendering the end of a love with intense, haunting tone. A sax solo introduces "Autumn Leaves Are Falling", where you can touch with hand the level of confidence and maturity of her performer. My heart goes to Máire's ballad "Let Me See", performed upon a splendid text with a quality of voice that defies any description. "Loch Na Caillí" ends the album as it begins - under the sign of grace. I own "Landmarks" in the 1998 edition, so I don't honestly know the effect of the remastering on the sound quality of the original.

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative, 30 May 2014
This review is from: Landmarks (Audio CD)
Bought after seeing Clannad and Mary Black at the Anvil, have always liked "theme from harry's game" but this s special

4.0 out of 5 stars Landmarks, 19 May 2014
GERRY MCMENEMY (Argyll,Scotland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Landmarks (Audio CD)
I have been rediscovering Clannad's music recently. This is one of the best CD's I have recently purchased, such haunting beautiful melodies.
G.McMenemy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful music., 17 April 2014
witchygirl (North Yorkshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Landmarks (Audio CD)
Clannad have delivered yet again a fantastic album. Their beautiful style is so unique and moving. This is played over and over. I recommend this album along with all their others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Landmarks by Clannad, 19 Nov 2013
P. R. Phillips (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Landmarks (Audio CD)
I stopped buying Clannad's albums after Macalla and just added a best of album to my collection then picked up another best of album with tracks from Lore, Anum and this album. I was so impressed that I bought all three of these albums and have since added their latest album, Ndur to my collection.I thought Macalla was their best ever but Landmarks scores a photo finish.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth as Silk!!, 31 Oct 2002
Deborah MacGillivray "Author," (US & UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Landmarks (Audio CD)
Clannad has their style, a mix of Celtic pop polished to a fine jewel. After the brilliant LORE I was at first a wee tad disappointed with the more gentle LANDMARKS. But this one gets better with repeat listening. I especially loved OF THIS LAND.
Clannad is magick!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thumbs up from me!, 11 Sep 2014
This review is from: Landmarks (Audio CD)
Haven't bought anything by Clannad for ages....too many albums seemed to be recycling of old stuff.
This does have new stuff -well, new to me and my CD collection at least.
Really nice. Haunting stuff that grows on me on every listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars For everyone who loves good music!, 19 May 2004
Kurt A. Johnson (Marseilles, IL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Landmarks (Audio CD)
Clannad is a genuine Irish band, well known for their haunting music that is a mix of traditional Irish and modern pop and jazz styles. (As a footnote, the popular singer Enya got her start with Clannad!) The music itself is hard to categorize - would you like to call it New Age, or Easy Listening? Well, it's sort of both, and really neither. This is great music, relaxing and thoughtful, almost religious in tone.
I love this album, and enjoy playing it just about all the time. I highly recommend it to everyone who loves good music!

Landmarks