Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£7.19

VINE VOICEon 17 July 2004
Original play recordings will always win out for the people that saw it. However I grew up with this movie and there is no other version for me. I have visions of the people and the story as the different song comes up. It was the lyrics to "Some Enchanted Evening" that actually convinced me to get married. And even today I find my self singing "Younger Than Springtime" to my wife. However I do not look it. I even did a review of the movie the day that Ray Walston ...Luther Billis died. [South Pacific (1958) ASIN: 6305283362]. I will mot go through all the songs on this album. Just if you pick one album this is it. And if you like other versions then you should still add this to the collection for contrast.
One day you will want to make this your own.
on 11 August 2011
Although generally not a great lover of musical films, South Pacific is probably my favourite, mostly because of the hauntingly memorable music and possibly because it was the first "big musical" film I saw at the cinema - when the best seats were 2/6d (12-13 pence)- crippling to a young teenager! At the risk of sounding repetitive, the memories come flooding back when listening to the soundtrack, which is perfectly reproduced on this cd, as each scene is vividly brought to mind. Even if you haven't seen the film many, if not all, of the songs have become well established favourites, but I find the original soundtrack hard to beat.
Highly recommended for easy listening or a sing-along in the car - (or bath)!
on 16 May 2011
It brought back happy memories of my childhood and to me was always the best version of the musical. It now makes me want to get the original film version which I have not seen for forty years or more. I cannot recommend this CD-rom more.
on 19 April 2012
My mum used to have an LP of South Pacific when I was little, and I grew up knowing the songs, so this CD is a real trip down memory lane. The songs are great with excellent tunes, and good lyrics, and they are very easy to sing along to. Great for a bit of escapism!
I’ve been a huge musical fan since my early days, and love the period of the big musicals, from the 30’s, 40’s 50’s and 60’s.

My Mum first got this soundtrack on Vinyl and I’d always loved listening to the soundtrack, so when it was released on CD I bought it.

This edition of the soundtrack has a lovely picture disc with the two main characters and the CD all in blue.

The booklet you get contains long interview with Joseph F Laredo about the musical which is very interesting.

The composers the late and great Richard Rodgers with lyrics by late and great Oscar Hammerstein II.

These two are my favourite composers for musicals, (have been since the early 1970’s). :-)

They’ve written some lovely melodies for this film. :-)

It’s fantastic to her the cast of the movie, not only were they great actors they also did a great job with singing these wonderful songs. :-)

If you were to ask me did I have a favourite, I’d have to say yes, (even though I love the entire soundtrack), they are “Cock-Eyed Optimist” ad the haunting “Bali Ha’i”. :-)

I can highly recommend this CD to the fans of the film and anyone who loves a good musical. :-)
on 12 December 2010
I bought this for the same reason as I bought Oklahoma. Childhood memories of hearing it played on LP or Dad singing songs from it to us. I did see the film too when I was about 5 or 6, but really it's the audible memories rather than the visual images that I treasure.
on 26 September 2011
What can I say except 'Magic'. Took me back to when my mother took me to see the film as a child and we had an LP of the soundtrack which was played all the time. Wonderful songs to sing along to in the car, so glad I bought it.
on 12 October 2013
I am not commenting on this musical as I bought it for my friend Betty, needless to say Betty comes straight out of the romantic 1955/70 era and unashamedly admits to loving any musical at all.
on 15 May 2012
What can you say about an all time classic !! Not long since seen Stage show which was fabulous so purchased dvd. and c/d. just to relive the Original this did not let me down.
on 17 July 2013
I remember this film from sooooo long ago and have always loved the track This Nearly Was Mine. I've thought about buying the album simply for this track, believing that the rest of the album would be of no particular interest. I was so wrong! I love it all and frequently listen to it in the car. Even when I am feeling at a low ebb, this album instantly raises my spirit and energy levels and I am singing along at the top of my voice with a huge smile stretched across my face! One or two tracks also bring tears to my eyes ..... but in a good way! Definitely one of my favourite albums.