5.0 out of 5 stars Just Wonderful
Published on 31 July 2009 by Challenger 1990

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly disappointing!
Published on 13 Nov 2010 by Bucksman

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Wonderful, 31 July 2009
What a wonderful CD this is with such a variety of very evocative songs, inducing a warm mood as well as perhaps a little melancholy. It is worth purchasing just for the first track, "Ashokan Fairwell." But I love many of it's tracks especially "Was My Brother in the Battle" and "Yellow Rose of Texas" (even though that is perhaps because it reminds me a many hours listening to "family favourites" four or five decades ago ! Well worth the purchase - you will play it time and time again.

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Civil War Song CD, 24 Mar 2010
Mr. Peter Durham "hungry for history" (Oxfordshire UK) - See all my reviews
This is the best collection of Civil War Songs I have yet come across. As far as I am able to judge it is as good a representation of the songs that were sung during that dreadful period
in American History,though I was not aware until now, that the
lovely Ashokan Farewell was composed long after the war ended.

I lived through World War Two, but I believe that the raw ferocity of
the American Civil War,fought in their own back yard so to speak,
Brother against Brother, must be the worst situation that I can imagine.

This CD has really fired me up to find out more about the tragedy, not out of morbid curiosity, but out of wonderment that I have lived this long with such scant knowledge of American history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lie back and listen, 27 April 2009
Wonderful cd, I'm not one for civil war songs my other half is, but after first hearing it i've played it over and over again, some beautiful songs my favourite being "Somebody's Darling" and track 1 is a dream with beautiful fiddle music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Living History, inspiring, 27 Jun 2013
This collection of songs is just wonderful

Listening to the songs and reading The Civil War Vol 1 by Shelby Foote on my Kindle is my idea of my perfect day

1.0 out of 5 stars Truly disappointing!, 13 Nov 2010
Looking for a folksy, rinestone-cowboy, Country & Western recording of the more obscure and less attractive Civil War songs? Then this CD is for you, but definitely not for me. Its lowest point is probably the Battle Hymn (or 'Hum'?) of the Republic where an unaccompanied soloist (no problem with that) HUMS two choruses and sings ONE verse. Perhaps this is the Confederate version? Having played this disc for its first and last time I hope it works better as a bird-scarer or drinks coaster. This CD compares poorly with the music from the soundtrack of the Ken Burns film on the Civil War (which I would rate 5 stars, though I admit it is mainly not songs). Caveat Emptor

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 23 July 2014