5.0 out of 5 stars They started something!
Published on 25 Jan 2009 by Maria Savva

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't knock it until you've tried it...
It's not that bad I suppose. The main flaw this album carries is that most of the songs sound the same: the structure, rhythm, vocals and instruments have very little variation between tracks. Unfortunately this tends to be the case with a lot of Indie Pop albums, but I won't go into that.

I think the standout track on the album is probably the single "That's...
Published on 22 Sep 2008 by Hugh Evans

5.0 out of 5 stars They started something!, 25 Jan 2009
This review is from: We Started Nothing (Audio CD)
I love this album, it's the best album from a new band for a very long time. I don't know if it's pop, indie, disco, dance or all of those things... I don't think this is an album that asks you to take it too seriously, it's just great fun! All the songs are fantastic. If you like 'That's not my name' you'll love this album. It's one of those albums you can just put on and play without skipping over the bad tracks. Every music lover should have this in their collection. It sounds like it's 80s influenced but is very much of its time. A real gem.

4.0 out of 5 stars I shouldn't like it, but i do..., 11 Feb 2009
BD "bigdave2020" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: We Started Nothing (Audio CD)
My inner music snob should despise this slice of british catchy hock riddled pop, but i don't. There is a simple reason that this album has done so well, it is very good! Unpretentious and with just enough originality on its side, this album deserves it's popularity. Ok so the vocals can be occasionally a little nasal, and the lyrics a little odd, but underneath all the pop chart sheen and multiple appearances on T4, there are real signs of talent and song writing ability here.

Free of any radical ideas or a pompous mission statement, the Ting Tings are refreshing and cheerful and at only 10 tracks long, the album is devoid of padding. In total five singles have been released from this album, which when you consider this is half the tracks on the CD and those singles are all strong enough to stand up in their own right, that is quite some acheivement for a debut release, even the much hyped Arctic Monkeys didnt acheive this.

It bothers me not if we never hear from the Ting Tings again after this album, that they will never fill a stadium, conquer the world (or preach to us how to save it, or sell us a t-shirt with a right-on slogan), but that is the appeal here, catchy bright and memorable music for the moment. Lighten up and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unpretentious catchy pop, 10 Jun 2008
A. Owen "anthonymowen" (Orpington, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Started Nothing (Audio CD)
Don't be put off by some of the adverse reviews of this album. If you treat it for what it is, a collection of unpretentious catchy pop singles, you will be more than satisfied with your purchase. Judged by the success of the Ting Tings in storming the charts with several tracks from this album it will soon be possible to rename it Ting Tings' Greatest hits!!

The album can be criticised for its lack of length (just 10 tracks)and the fact that it is more like a collection of singles than a 'coherent' album but it is an enjoyable listen in the car, in the summer sunshine in the garden (consider the neighbours!)and is also danceable party music.

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't knock it until you've tried it..., 22 Sep 2008
Hugh Evans - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Started Nothing (Audio CD)

I think the standout track on the album is probably the single "That's Not My Name" (which, to be fair, is probably why people buy the album). It's fun and catchy, although We Walk has quite a nice chorus as well. Mind you, because of the similarities throughout the album, if you love one of the songs you'll probably love the album, and the reverse if you loathe one of the songs.

Overall though I would have to say that I feel that the album will begin to bore people after a few plays. This music is probably best handled one song at a time, so if you're not buying this to fill space on your Ipod then perhaps just buy a single.

4.0 out of 5 stars Throw-away music for the disco floor, 12 Nov 2012
Crookedmouth ":-/" (As seen on iPlayer) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: We Started Nothing (Audio CD)
God knows where I picked up on The Ting Tings, but this is rather fun - an up-dated Altered Images/Primitives bubblegum pop outing with all the attitude of Transvision Vamp. It opens with the fizzy/poppy "Great DJ" and the rappy in-your-face "That's Not My Name" and there's plenty of variety to follow - "Traffic Light" sounds fluffy and inconsequential but I spotted an intriguing and distinct flavour of the Velvet Underground and Nico (I'm Sticking With You). "Shut Up And Let Me Go" is power-funky, "Keep Your Head" is punky and "We Started Nothing" is spunky. The title track is possibly my favourite on the album - rhythmic and persistent with a jazzy/bluesy horn-line - it's a fantastic work-out track.

A friend of mine described the Ting Tings as "repetetive and irritating". Possibly fair comment and they certainly could be accused of being more than a little derivative. Lightweight, superficial? Maybe. But if you want to catch me dancing 'round my kitchen, singing (badly off-key) into a soup ladle, this is the album that you're most likely to find in the CD player at the moment.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's just a bit of fun..., 25 May 2008
This review is from: We Started Nothing (Audio CD)
Seems, once again, that some people are taking this far too seriously. So what if NME are getting it wrong by bigging them up. So what if they aren't the most original band in the world, so what if you've heard it done before - music doesn't have to be ground-breaking, original or that important.
If you're willing to listen to an album which is fun and catchy then this might be for you. If you want something deeper with a message then try having a word with yourself... just lighten up!

5.0 out of 5 stars A shake up for all the boring British bands of the moment, 20 Sep 2008
R. Essery (Monmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Started Nothing (Audio CD)
OK lets cut to the chase. I was brought up with punk and I can say that the Ting Tings are the best thing that can happen to the over serious, retentive British music industry at the moment. They are quirky, fun and yes original. They are the perfect cure for the boring navel gazing crap that appears from bands such as the Kaiser Chiefs, the Killers, Babyshambles and most particularly the musically inept Artic Monkeys and the arrogant but retentive Kasabien.

The reason I like the Ting Tings is because I am fed up with listening to the dirges produced by the bands named above (and others). Its boring!

Oh and if you want to see hype in action - look at Coldplay - utterly bland and the whole group takes themselves far to seriously. Next thing Chris Martin will be like Bono from U2 giving us lectures about global warming and other subjects he knows nothing about.

I have heard that Chris Moyles from Radio One does not like the Ting Tings and that for me is about the best recommendation I have for buying this CD.

2.0 out of 5 stars One word..., 2 Jan 2009
Vulpine2 (Peak District) - See all my reviews
Monotonous

Ok, a few more.
I liked the single, it was a breathe of fresh air.
Trouble is they've failed miserably to create much that's any different on the rest of the album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 7 July 2014
not bad

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, 18 Sep 2013
L. V. Andrews "louisevic" (derbyshire, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: We Started Nothing (Audio CD)
not as good as I was hoping for, but it's ok. I like a few of the songs. hey ho.

We Started Nothing