5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite things...
Published on 29 Feb 2004 by jennyanne2485

3.0 out of 5 stars A blatant repackaging rather than a genuine upgrade
Published on 2 Jan 2005 by Yi-Peng

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite things..., 29 Feb 2004
This review is from: The Sound of Music (Audio CD)
Unlike some musical soundtracks, this really does justice to the film, the songs are fantastic and timeless, my personal favourites being 'I have confidence' and 'Do-Re-Mi' which is especially good as it keeps to exactly how it is in the film, starting with the scene on the hills, and finishing with the 'steps' finale. Julie Andrews is of course amazing and shows her versatility with the grand opening of 'the sound of music' and the tender 'something good.' The childrens voices are also great, especially Liesl's in 'sixteen going on seventeen.' The only song which is not in its entirety is 'Edelweiss' by Captain Von Trapp but Christopher Plummer was dubbed anyway so this is not a great loss! The audio restoration is faultless, and you need to play this loud and sing along, even if it annoys your 'the darkness' loving brother. The booklet is also well laid out and informative but does not include song lyrics.

5.0 out of 5 stars How can anyone go wrong with this, 3 Jan 2000
By A Customer
What a great bunch of songs. I thought that only us middle agers would still like the tunes from Sound of Music but, I am proven wrong. My 3 teenagers found every song worth listening to over and over until they learned the words.

3.0 out of 5 stars A blatant repackaging rather than a genuine upgrade, 2 Jan 2005
Yi-Peng (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This reissue of the Sound of Music soundtrack coincides with the 40th anniversary of the release of the film. Of course, the performances and music have been praised sundry times, so there's no need to cover them here. However, this release is nothing more than a crude and blatant repackaging of the RCA recording, rather than a genuine and benevolent upgrade on such a popular album. This is because most of the songs are presented in their original LP versions rather than the versions that are used in the film. In addition, although there is some previously unreleased music among the bonus tracks at the end, they haven't really been integrated into the main soundtrack in the way that EMI did for the Oklahoma, Carousel and King and I soundtracks. Now, if only this soundtrack was done with some integrity, with in-depth liner nites including a soundtrack annotation, and the inclusion of all the music recorded for the film, including the underscore, I'm sure that this soundtrack would have received a more deserving upgrade than this skimpy reissue we have here.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review praises the music from the hit musical, 24 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Sound of Music (Audio CD)
This CD brings the story of the Sound Of Music to life in your CD player. It has all your favourite songs, from the ultimate Rodgers & Hammerstein musical. Julie Andrews's fantastic voice is skillfully digitly remastered and sounds superb. The CD really is worth every penny!

5.0 out of 5 stars This album needs no praise, 4 May 2003
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Sound of Music (Audio CD)
You are already aware of the basics. Rodgers & Hammerstein only produce winners. Julie Andrews has exceptional range clarity and stamina. The Musical is a classic.
As with most sound tracks they threw everything in (well maybe not everything). And due to the wide audience every one will have a different favorite song. Personally having all the music helps me remember the movie. However for just listening I have no problem by-passing a few. Even watching the movie, I always considered "I Have Confidence" to not be quit up to standard. Of course "The Sound Of Music" is a given. Yet if I had to pick one my favorite is "Edelweiss" If the songs were cut short it may be due to logistics.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute classic, 23 April 2012
I don't like musicals and for years I mocked my mother and aunts for their love of this film. Then I had kids of my own and one day I sat and watched this film with my daughter. I was WRONG. The film - if you have not seen it is a masterpiece, engaging and enjoyable from start to finish. The music is absolutely brilliant, memorable, catchy and well performed. This CD includes all the very best music from the film in excellent quality, I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This album needs no praise, 23 May 2003
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly one of my "favourite things"., 2 April 2006
C. Wood (W. Yorks, UK) - See all my reviews
I have Condidence that nobody can call themselves a true affectionado of Sound of Music without this CD.
It contains the original 16 pieces from the film, beautifully sung by Maria, the Captain, the Children and the Chorus, plus eleven bonus tracks that make this CD even more of "something good", wiht exetended music, additional verses and esxtra soundtrack used on the film.
Rodger and Hammerstein outdo any other musical ever written herein, and this CD is worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 9 Dec 2011
Wonderful film and cannot be underestimated as a classic for musical score and delivery, worked with a cheesy light touch i first saw this in Malaya in the mid 60's and it still works musically, we all know the story but if you like Austrian scenery and a charming 90 minutes of a simple story well put together it's a ten out of ten, eat chocolate light the fire and turn back the years.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest movie musical of all time!, 17 Nov 2010
What a gorgeous cover to this best of all possible movie musicals! Sound is superb, the interviews included are wonderful and very special. As someone who must own everything "Sound of Music" I especially wanted this version due to its packaging!