The Diary Of Alicia Keys
Format: MP3 DownloadChange
Price:£3.99

on 12 August 2005
I bought this album when it was first released and have yet to come across another "rnb" album - if we can call it that - of its calibre. Many albums can you get excited, or make you sad - but this inspires feelings of another era altogether. The album has a kinda Jackie Brown/The Delfonics vibe to it. Some tracks like Nobody Not Really are perfect for jumpin into your time machine and hailing a new york yellow cab in the 70s in the pouring rain and watching the bright lights through the pasenger window. Not that you do that, but thats the vibe almost!
Simply brilliant.
on 3 December 2003
I have to admit that I bought this album on the strength of the single ('You Don't Know My Name') and reviews in The Times. I know next to nothing about the artist, and I'm probably far too old to understand all the nuances of her lyrics. But the music -- the tunes -- on this CD are really wonderful. It looks set to appear in many a Christmas stocking -- for those who have the patience to wait three more weeks.
Given the single, and given the CD cover, I had been expecting Alicia's piano to be given greater prominence in the mix, such as it is. Is it just me, or has the production of this album been a deliberately low-tech AM-friendly affair? The melody of the single harks back to Marvin Gaye's classic 'What's Going on?', and the production seems equally muffled. Another example: on track #10, 'So Simple', Alicia has added some prerequisite scratching, which has been done a thousand times since Madonna's 'Erotica'.
Alicia's band is pretty small. There does not seem to be a drummer -- despite the frequent appearance of drums on most tracks -- so we must assume that drums come courtesy of 'digital programming'. This music is far more cerebral than Beyonce, who also uses a tiny musical team. Neither, to my ear, quite approaches the standard set by Jimmy Jam / Terry Lewis for Alexander O'Neal's 'Hearsay'.
But this is a great album to end 2003 on.
on 16 February 2004
Yes she is in touch with the classics, and yes she is in touch with the street.
It's a rare thing, and it still comes out in her music - the frantic violins of 'Karma', the piano arpeggios of Harlem's Nocturne' and the dreamy, filmic theme of 'Nobody Not Really'.
She is also in touch with the classics of soul, so there is more than a hint of Stevie Wonder to her writing.
If anything, 'The Diary Of..' is a little bit more knowing about urban styles than the breathtaking debut 'Songs In A Minor'. There is more of a hip-hop undercurrent, and there's more work for your sub-woofers to do.
It's in the shadow of it's predecessor, the 5-star debut 'Songs In A Minor', in my humble opinion, but it's still a 4-star wonder, which makes you hope that Keys will not be squeezed into the destiny of just another hip hop soul singer in a crowded marketplace.
Great voice, great pianist, great album. Great!
on 18 November 2004
I had been looking forward tot his album for the past two years. i regularly went on her website to check that i had got the release date right. i didn't want to miss it. when it came out I was straight in the store buying my copy to see if it was all that.
I am trying to think of a word that could possibly sum up how absolutely brilliant it is. Every song is worthy of it's place and every lyric is worthy of wordsworth.
Harlems nocturne: 10/10
a much more inventive intro than that on Songs in A minor. The first thirty seconds you hear pure genius of piano playing and from then on you get some great thought provoking lyrics. great.
Karma: 10/10
This was a song i heard when i was in the store buying her album. i didn't know it was her song, how could I/ but after a few seconds of listening to it in the store, i knew who i was listening to. a quite brilliant up tempo song, with a great catchy chorus.
Heartburn: 10/10
one of my favourite songs she has ever done. so sassy and amazing. The drum beat that introduces it makes you bob your head to the beat. such an infectious song. you will be singing it for weeks.
If I Was Your Woman/Walk On By: 10/10
Gladys knight first sung this and i adored the song. now if it is possible i love it even more. Alicia keys brings something refreshing and new to this song. little changes just make this song unforgettable.
You Don't Know My Name: 10/10
surprised for ut to be the first single? I was. but after hearing on the radio, i can totaly understand why she did it. another of my favourites. especially as my name is michael, and in the spoken part of the song, she calls out my name. love it.
If I Ain't Got You: 10/10
The best song I have ever heard from anyone. That is saying something isn't it. Well what else can i say about it. from the piano intro to the soulful, soulful voice and quite remarkable lyrics "hand me the world on a silver platter and what good would it be" this song is like no other and definitely the stand out song.
Diary: 10/10
my second favourite. some non fans of alicia say that they don't like this song, as it is so slow. the lyrics the vioce the simple tuhne make this song another unforgetable tune. you are caught in a hypnotic state right up until the last hits of the piano. A great song.
Dragon days: 10/10
i think of this album in two halfs. and i think of this song as the one that starts the second half of great beats and guitars. this is an inventive track and one of the best. with great word play and an amazing chorus.
wake up: 10/10
another amazong song with such thoughful lyrics, a great heartfelt voice, which really thinks about what she is saying.
a great chorus and verse.
so simple: 10/10
one of the wierdest songs i have in my collection. my mum laughed the first time she heard it. it is now her favourite song. when you hear it you will think what has she done. but my god does it work so well you nearly want to cry. if her normal voice had been used then the impact would have vanished and the song would have become nowhere near the level it is at, at the moment. it just shows how much she thinks about hewr music. truly magic.
When you really love someone: 10/10
another of my favourites. people say it sounds alot like fallin. where did you get that from. just becasue there is a piano intor, which is nothing like fallin. i play the piano and if you knew the notes she plays the formation is nothing like uit, and most of all sounds nothing like it. her voice is so cool on this and her ad libing (did i put that right) is second to none.
Feeling u feeling me: 9/10
not my favourite song on the album. mearly because i am selfish and want to hear her voice all the time. no seriously. i love this song and it's would keep anyone warm on the coldest of nights
slow down: 10/10
love it love it love it
i really like this song, especially the third verse when she talks about her own situations "and i know what is best cause i've been there before. give myself to someone for all the wrong reasons" her voice sounds so sad but strong.
samsonite man: 10/10
alot of people didn't like this song. what were they talkin about. such a catchy chrous and such sound lyrics. what is wrong with it. nothing, that's what.
nobody not really: 10/10
is this an interlude or not, i'm not sure. whatever it is, it's a great way to end. the piano at the start really set of the coll tone and then you are hit with powerful lyrics. i actually heard her talk about this song. she said it was nothing to do with her, it was actually about two little boys she saw in an airport. and she felt like that was them, so she wrote the song.
what else can i say she scored a total of 149/150
a truly remarkable album, just one notch of a perfect score. i'm sure the next album will put that right.
on 27 March 2004
Alicia Keys received such critical praise and commercial success with her debut release (a great marriage R&B, hip-hop, and jazz)that I was concerned that she would let it go to head and lose focus. Then, the naysayers (who love to rip down those who have received maybe too much, too soon) and those who think that she was and continues to be overpraised could say "I told you so!". Well, those naysayers will have to wait as Alicia has put out an even better release than her debut. It's not perfect by far, as few things are, but she's heading in the right direction and the release grows on you more and more as you let it flow into your consciousness.
I love that she's not abandoned her piano arrangements as they are becoming quite an integral part of her work. The opener sets the bar for the rest of the CD and many meet or surpass the introduction.
The highlights include "Heartburn": I love Timbaland's production and Alicia's voice combined to 10++++ and this is a single waiting to take off; "If I Was Your Woman/Walk On By": Alicia makes the song truly her own vocally and there is a nice Eastern flavour to it; "You Don't Know My Name": It's the non-conventional first single that grows on you. It's a mid-tempo song with a great interlude for the spoken word and an amazing outro. Also it just might be the best written song on the CD; "If I Ain't Got You": Showcases the raspier side of Alicia's voice and she just belts this song in such a way that feels just right. I fear that this song may become one of those songs that the kids from "American Idol" destroy in an attempt to show that they can SING (usually not);"Diary": Slowly reveals itself, she sounds amazing, and you can feel the great touch of Tony!Toni!Tone! in the arrangement and in the choruses. I am listening to this song right now and it gets better which each listen. I also like the build-up, instrumentation and choruses of "Wake Up" as well as the distorted chorus of "So Simple" (which although sounds a little like Kelis on her debut CD) is an OK song, but the chorus makes it pop; "When You Really Love Someone", would be a great song if it did not sound EXACTLY like "Fallin'". The piano and Alicia's voice can allow you to enjoy it if you think of it as a sequel of sorts "Fallin'". I LOVE the Santana-like guitar work on "Feeling U, Feeling Me (Interlude)" as well as the instrumentation and breeziness of "Noboby Not Really (Interlude)".
As you can see there is a lot of great stuff to be found on Alicia's release but there are a few things that keep it from being a 5. I don't like Alicia's voice and lyrical flow on parts of "Karma". "Dragon Days" and "Slow Down" seem like unnecessary filler, while "Samsonite Man" is the only truly awful song on the CD.
All in all this is an excellent release and I would recommend it highly to anyone who likes Alicia. I've taken steps to make this release a 5 by making my own copy and taking out the 4 songs that don't do anything for me. While some people sometimes feel shortchanged by releases that don't take up most of the CD, sometimes less is more as exemplified by Meshell Ndegeocello's last CD which clocks at less than 40 minutes. Alicia is someone to keep watching and I think that now that she's got her sophomore release out and has done a great job, she can keep trying to grow as she is still very young, albeit talented beyond almost most younger singers' wildest dreams.
on 8 December 2003
Usually I judge albums on the number of good tracks. This album is a complete body of work by itself. I bought this CD on the strength of "You don't know my name". I was not dissappointed. This album did not need several plays to get into I fell in love with it on first play. I sat at home on Sunday night just listening to it. This is the type of album you will want to listen to at home, by yourself lying on the sofa, phone off, candles lit. The tracks are mellow, romantic and make you want to fall in love. This is real music for the soul
on 6 December 2003
From the 'Harlem’s Nocturne' intro right through to 'Samsonite Man' and 'Nobody Not Really' there is such an awesome aura about the music the listner experiences. Whether you're feeling happy, sad, excited or solemn this album is worth a listen - even for people who usually hate this genre of music.
Simply talented...
on 14 January 2004
Alicia sings this simple "Karma" saying on track 2 though she's not yet coming down after spectacular rise with her debut.
Album opens with a wonderful intro in which she invites you to take a journey with her into her diary. After the intro, to me one of the best tracks of the album "Karma" flows into your ears with the effective lyrics, nice beat and a WONDERFUL violin playing. Third track is a funky uptempo cut followed by "If I Was Your Woman / Walk On By" medley. The lead up single which has great back vocals and tells a really nice "21st century woman" story. It's so cute when she says "I know girls don't usually do this but ...".
"If I Ain't Got You" is lyrically and vocally the best cut off of the album which followed by the -almost- title track "Diary featuring Tony Toni Tone".
Second half of the CD isn't as promising as the first half but still great. "When You Really Love Someone", "Wake Up" and "Nobody Not Really" are the ones standing front.
Bonus track "Streets Of New York" is so unnecessary because "Nobody Not Really" ends up quite perfect for an album closing. It's like an outro more than an interlude.
Overall this is one of the best abums around these days though I don't think Grammy will reward Alicia madly like they did for her debut. If you liked "Songs In A Minor", for sure you'll enjoy this one too.
on 21 March 2005
i had so many expectations of this album and so many predictions to what the flavour will be. After LOVIN songs in a minor, a legendary album which has come to be one of my favourites up with the likes of aaliyah stevie wonder marvin gaye and michael jackson.my first thoughts of the diary of alicia keys was that it was different to her first and each song was unique. i was wowed with the powerful harlems nocturne intro and amazed by the vocals in such songs as when u really love someone and if i was ur woman. The different sounds on the album make it perfect for every mood and still now im stunned by the lyrics and musical arrangements from the record. another amazing album from alicia, keep it goin girl!!
on 3 March 2004
With “The Diary” Alicia Keys has achieved something probably thought impossible by anyone who bought the highly successful “Songs In A Minor”. She has both improved and achieved such diversity that she is barely recognisable on the new album.
We knew that Alicia was skilled, but the music on “The Diary” is so fantastic, from the eerie intro: “Harlem’s Nocturne” to the fantastic Hip Hop fuelled “So Simple”. With a little help particularly from her regular KrucialKeys Team plus the ever popular Kanye West on “You Don’t Know My Name” and even Timbaland (“Heartburn” although sadly disappointing) she fuses a bit of everything she is about musically.
However, what is disappointing is the fact that when Alicia returns to her musical roots (for example on her sample of “Walk On By”) it doesn’t quite work out as well as the tracks she actually creates herself. However, she doesn’t need to be someone from the Motown era to be a fantastic musician because she has such alternation in her music.
The highlights are “Harlem’s Nocturne” a fantastic piece of ascending music, “Dragon Days” for it’s interesting concept, “Samsonite Man” and “When You Really Love Someone”. “Karma” and “So Simple” are also among the best songs.
This is just the beginning for the next pioneer of R&B music, because everyone should be certain from this LP that this is what Alicia Keys is becoming.