1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Slice of the loaf!, 30 Sep 2012
This is a brilliant collection of some of Meat Loaf's great but lesser known material. At the time I purchased this album I had only got The very best of (which made me the huge fan of Meat I am) and Bat out of Hell III so this collection was an easy purchase for me to make being that it had many songs that I had never heard. The album artwork is clever because it is presented like an old leather-bound book with wear marks on the cover. This implies a view into the archived past of the singers' back catalogue. The booklet has no inner details or pictures, just the song credits. The album uses possibly the most popular and best song on the album in the title.

Overall this is a quality collection of some fantastic Meat Loaf songs which many new and casual fans would have not heard but you're in for a treat because these are some hidden gems! Besides the 2 songs from Meat's original Bat out of Hell; Heaven can wait and All revved up with no place to go (from '77) the rest of the songs are from his 80's material. You can really pick up on the 80's sound in many of the songs and it's mixed in well with the usual Meat Loaf style. If you like a whole spectrum of Meat's styles then you'll love this collection but if you're only a fan of his more traditional piano based music then this possibly won't be too impressive. 7 of 12 songs are written by Jim Steinman who wrote some of Meat Loaf's greatest songs including I'd do anything for love, so this reflects the quality of songs here.

Read 'em and weep is a fantastic song with some interesting vocals and a powerful chorus. Rock n' roll mercenaries is a song I loved from my 1st listen - it really has an 80's feel to it and it's got a fantastically catchy rhythm. It may be a little repetitive but it doesn't matter because it sounds amazing! It's 1 of my favourite Meat Loaf songs period. Nowhere fast is a great rocker with a brilliant bouncy rhythm and a powerful and catchy chorus. The humorous lyrics definitely make this song so great. Jumpin' the gun is a similarly styled tune (with similar topics), which is a proper headbanger of a track! This is another humorous track with a strong chorus to rock out to. I'm gonna love her for both of us once again has a humorous feel to it where Meat is saying to an old friend of his how he hates the way this this guy treats his girl so he'll take her away and give her what she really deserves! I think it's a great concept and another fantastic track! In my opinion from this song the songs seem to be slightly less quality and the best tracks are the first 8. Peel out is another track about impatience. It's another Jim Steinman penned track (not 1 of his greats) and it has a simple chorus but it's a really good tune nevertheless. Priscilla has a humorous side to it with Meat singing "You're nearly 16 but they treat you like a kid". It's got this fantastic almost reggae feel to it due to the bouncy rhythm. Fallen angel is good with some interesting lyrics; "she said I don't say much, but I'm in heaven when I feel your touch". It seems to masquerade as a love song but it's actually about a girl leaving him and "falling into somebody else's arms". Razors edge is a pretty good ender, slow but with a good chorus and an interesting guitar riff. Once again, the vocals are quite interesting!

A very interesting collection of songs from the legend himself and an album that I'm sure many will enjoy and love.

ARRAY(0xadf7dcf0)