4.0 out of 5 stars A moving, inspirational piece.
When Delta released her first single, Born to try, it didn't really strike a cord with me. Her next single, Lost without you, was catchy and stuck in my head. But it wasn't enough. It wasn't until i heard that brilliant song, Innocent Eyes, that i relised how great her songs really were. I rushed out and bought the album straight away.
This is a truly fantastic...
Published on 18 Sept. 2003 by D Wakeley

3.0 out of 5 stars At least there is some talent in the pop world!
Lets get one thing straight first. Im more of a Stereophonics fan than this kind of music. Sacharrin sultry pop isnt really my thing, but a couple of close friends raved about this album -so I had a listen. I had first heard 'Born To Try', as everybody had and didnt really rate it as fantastic, but realised that Delta could sing very well; and being a musician myself I...
Published on 14 July 2003 by Ben

4.0 out of 5 stars A moving, inspirational piece., 18 Sept. 2003
This review is from: Innocent Eyes (Audio CD)
This is a truly fantastic record. Delta has shown that she is not a cheesy soap star who just wants extra pennies in her pocket. She co-wrote most of the songs and plays the piano on every track. Ovbiously this album isn't for goth head-bangers or people with a dislike for artists that can actually sing and aren't manufactured. Lets just say you have to listen to this record to believe it.
By far the best tracks on the album are Innocent eyes and Running away. Innocent eyes is very autobiographical and moving, and the catchy chorus is just superb. While with Running away, the pop beats at the beginning are nothing like the soft, mellow chorus. An original song. Born to try and Lost without you are the hit singles and make for easy listening. Predictable is my third favourite track and really comes into its own with its rock pop chorus and drum line.And Butterfly, Not me, Not i and In my own time are lovely ballads for when your having a dramatic time!
But the album does disapoint with the end tracks such as Longer. Don't get me wrong they're nice tracks. But thats it, nice. Nice and boring. These songs drift past you like a piece of litter, never to be seen again. If you like piano soul ballads with emotional lyrics then you'll still like thes tracks. But it just didn't do it for me, sorry.
So to end it, Innocent eyes is a good album with some strong songs. Just a shame about the tracks Longer, This is not me, My big mistake and Will you fall for me. They were a let down.
But whoever heard of a perfect album?
Love DD

5.0 out of 5 stars Kylie, Natalie, Holly & now the fantastic Delta!, 1 Feb. 2004
This review is from: Innocent Eyes (Audio CD)
Delta Goodrem is another pop-gem sparking out of Australian daytime soap, Neighbours but she’s a lot different from her fellow pop predecessors. Kylie gives us the throbbing dance floor pop tracks; Natalie gives us her loud rock tunes, while Holly continues to give us her sultry club tracks. Delta is a completely unique, outstanding artist on ‘Innocent Eyes,’ concentrating more on the harmonious, enormous breakthrough ballads, which totally suit her. The album sounds quite like a coming of age album with relationship issues, falling in love, everyday situations, and I could see myself hearing some of these songs in teenage dramas such as Dawson’s Creek, Sweet Valley High and Roswell High. This is one the best albums I bought from last year!
(1)Born To Try-(10/10) This uptempo ballad which unleashed Delta’s musical talents!
(2)Innocent Eyes-(9/10) This sultry piano driven tune is about maintaining innocence we had in childhood. With great, thoughtful lyrics and good vocals, it’s a good song.
(3)No Not Me, Not I-(10/10)A haunting, piano ballad with angelic vocals from Delta. This track is about not feeling disheartened by a deceitful lover or a breakup. A powerful ballad with charming music and forceful vocals from Delta.
(4)Throw It Away-(8/10) Guitars and a bouncy beat make this a sassy track, which is about not realising what you have got until you’ve thrown it away.. Nice track.
(5)Lost Without You-(10/10)The fantastic catchy breakthrough ballad which reached #2 in the charts! Excellent lyrics and great singing from Delta!
(6)Predictable-(9/10) A feisty, fierce rock influenced track about realising the lies and cheats of a friend or lover. It has a very funky beat and suspense sounding music.
(7)Butterfly-(10/10) An elegant, eclectic sounding, relaxing ballad symbolising someone (a lover) who is a butterfly. Nice lyrics, vocals and great music.
(8)In My Own Time-(10/10) This ballad is driven in a country style, which quite suits Delta. The verses are slow with piano playing and build a climax up to a sweet chorus with great vocals. It’s a beautiful track, you can hear yourself listening to when driving along a road during the night.
(9)My Big Mistake-(10/10)An uptempo, summery, happy sounding track. It has great flowing choruses and the verses are just captivating! A great positive song putting a smile on the face!
(10)This Is Not Me-(9/10) A great anticipating chorus makes this track a good one. It sounds a bit rocky with the music and Delta’s vocals are strong.
(11)Running Away-(9/10) Great uptempo track reminding me of The Corrs.
(12)A Year Ago Today-(8/10) A nice meaningful track remembering the past, learning from it and foreseeing the future. It’s a sweet, slow ballad.
(13)Longer-(10/10)Uptempo, positive, happy sounding track sounding a bit like “My Big Mistake”. This one is about wanting to spend more time with a desired person to get to know them better. Delta’s voice is strong and the chorus is powerful.
(14)Will You Fall For Me?-(8/10) A slow, charming ballad, with a nice flowing style, bringing an end to this fantastic album.
The album clearly shows Delta as a superb singer with a fantastic voice. In some songs, Delta tries hard to reach the Mariah-type high notes, but doesn’t quite make it. Nevertheless, she’s a great singer with a great voice many would die for! Her voice is vibrant and versatile, that she could even go into RnB and dance. With Delta, she’s true to her music, reminding me of Leann Rimes, and unlike many of the pop-acts today, she is not carried away with the pop-hype or pop-lifestyle. ‘Innocent Eyes’ demonstrates her as being innocent and predictable, and you almost know what to expect from her. A great album, from a great singer! Go & buy this now!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best thing that I have heard all this year!!, 30 April 2003
Miss Henyin Chang (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Innocent Eyes (Audio CD)
I recently heard her new song 'Lost Without You' and ordered this abum straight away. And what an album.
I haven't heard anything this good for such a long time - there are so many beautiful songs and Delta's stunning voice quite literally moves you. My favourite song is 'Lost Without You', however, the rest are brilliant too - 'Innocent Eyes', 'In My Own Time', 'Not Me, Not I'. Out of 14 songs, she either wrote or co-wrote 12 which just shows that might be the best thing we have seen from Austrailia for a while - even ready to eclipse Kylie's success. I'm already awaiting eagerly for her next album! Delta is HOT.
Buy this album - you will NOT regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful debut from a beautiful girl!, 14 May 2003
Gary Clark "Dance music fan!" (Irvine, Scotland, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Innocent Eyes (Audio CD)
It was obvious what everyone was going to say - oh no, here we go again, yet another pop wannabe taking advantage of the exposure she's got from an Australian soap! Well, before you judge this gorgeous Ozzie, take a moment to look at the facts: 1. she was a pop star in Australia LONG BEFORE the casting team at Neighbours got their grubby little mitts on her, and 2. she has an absolutely incredible voice, and a real talent for songwriting!
With her debut album "Innocent Eyes", Delta Goodrem has succeeded in proving that she is a real force to be reckoned with in the music world. Nowhere near as poppy as Kylie but every bit as catchy, Delta has chosen the same route as Natalie Imbruglia, only slightly more mellow and piano-focused. Here is a run-down on the 14 tracks:
1. Born To Try (9/10): The debut single that also featured heavily in the Neighbours storyline. A well-executed piano-driven ballad about the trials and tribulations of life. The great orchestration and pleasant melody set the tone perfectly for the rest of the album (although I'm not too sure about the screeching high note towards the end!)
2. Innocent Eyes (10/10): Arguably, the best song on the album! Piano plays a more prominent roll on this half rock/half folk stormer - I find it impossible to stop myself from singing or humming along to the "da da da da da da" bit in the chorus.
3. Not Me Not I (9/10): I love the piano hook in this one - quite angry and menacing, yet also vulnerable - perfectly matching Delta's widely coloured vocals. The acoustic guitar and strings give this a well-rounded feel.
4. Throw It Away (8/10): Now this quite a unique track, completely different from the previous 3. Sounds more like the kind of tunes of Natalie Imbruglia would come out with, and that's not a bad thing! The piano stands aside for a slow, stomping beat and acoustic & electric guitars.
5. Lost Without You (8.5/10): The 2nd single is a real grower. There is real depth to the arrangement of this one - just when you think the chorus over, a great "question & answer" passage kicks in, with Delta integrating beautifully with the backing singers. A great melody!
6. Predictable (10/10): Ties with "Innocent Eyes" for best track on the album! This track has so many different moods - from the dark and menacing piano intro, to the rather eerie piano accompaniment to the verse, right into the angry chorus filled with power chords and a vocal line delivered with real venom! Play it very loud!!!
7. Butterfly (8/10): The best way I can describe this song is the kind of tune the Appleton sisters would do! Quite an uplifting melody and arrangement - I can imagine listening to this song on a rainy day to cheer me up!
8. In My Own Time (6/10): I can't make up my mind about this one. Delta seems to be wandering dangerously close to modern country territory here, which isn't really a bad thing, but I think she overdoes the singing in this one - too many leaps and runs for my liking! The melody is okay, but it doesn't seem to go very far!
9. My Big Mistake (8/10): This is much more like it! A nice summery pop tune - this is the kind of song that Savage Garden did so well (and Darren Hayes still does well occasionally). The chorus is particularly catchy, and I just love that piano hook!
10. This Is Not Me (6.5/10): Another track that doesn't seem to go very far. I can appreciate it melodically, with the piano perfectly backing the vocals again, but I just don't think it's as catchy as a lot of the other tracks here. Having said that, the string interlude is quite cool - if only Delta didn't "waaaaaaaaaaaaaa" and "heeeeeeeeeeee-ooooooooh" over it!!!
11. Running Away (8/10): Quirky! That's the word that comes to mind when I hear this track. I particularly like the way the electric guitar mirrors Delta in the chorus, and the build-up to the chorus is great for bopping your head to!
12. A Year Ago Today (9/10): A beautiful, slow ballad that sounds more and more like "I'll Be There" by Michael Jackson everytime I hear it! I can imagine this as the big epic theme to one of those weepy movies starring Julia Roberts!
13. Longer (8/10): Another nice Natalie Imbruglia-style track (I reckon this is "Torn" part 2!). Not a lot else I can say!
14. Will You Fall For Me (8/10): The moment you've all been waiting for - just Delta and her trusty piano (with a little help from some strings)! A very nice tune lyrically as well as melodically, and the sparse accompaniment really gives Delta the opportunity to go at her own pace and exercise those amazing vocals! A very fitting end to a great musical journey!
If you liked "Born To Try", then you will love this album. If this is anything to go by, Delta could prove to be one of the big artists of 2003!

4.0 out of 5 stars A hugely promising debut with some real stand-out tracks, 24 Oct. 2003
This review is from: Innocent Eyes (Audio CD)
My first thoughts on hearing Delta Goodrem was releasing a record? 'Great, another bland actress turned pop puppet'. One listen of her debut single 'Born to Try' changed all that.
Delta is a talented singer, pianist and writer - and as the blurb on this product page says, her PR people are keen to push that. But why not when it's all true? Rather than the usual 10 track pop disc, this is a mix of piano ballads and lively tunes with soft rock elements, and is surprisingly long for a debut at 14 tracks.
Hit singles 'Born to Try', 'Lost Without You' and title track 'Innocent Eyes' all stand out, but these aren't the only memorable moments. 'Predictable', 'Not Me, Not I' and 'Throw it Away' all deserve a mention, as does 'Longer', wasted as the B-side of 'Born to Try'.
The only thing that stops this album from getting a fifth star is that towards the end, a couple of the tracks become samey, and you feel the producers were perhaps too keen to include everything Delta herself wrote to push the 'young, pretty AND she writes it!' image. But these certainly don't spoil this very promising debut. If she gets her second album right, Delta Goodrem could leave the tag of Neighbours actress turned popstar far behind her.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great debut album, 30 Aug. 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Innocent Eyes (Audio CD)
I've read through a lot of the reviews for this album and most of them state that if you like Delta's first single ('Born To Try') you'll like this album. Personally, 'Born To Try' didn't stand out to me when it was released, it was 'Lost Without You' that really made me want to hear more.
Delta's album is extremely consistant. Her voice never fades, the music is ever original. It makes you wish there were more singers/songwriters like Delta around today.
My favourite songs are:
Innocent Eyes: Just listen to it - it amazed me the very first time I heard it and I can't get enough of it. Delta's voice is incredible and the lyrics are moving.
Not Me, Not I: Some parts of this song are so hauntingly beautiful. Her voice is second to none here.
Lost Without You: This track really allows Delta to show the range of her voice - and what a range she has!
What else can I say......? Buy this album!

5.0 out of 5 stars An A-class album jam-packed with beautiful tunes, 29 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Innocent Eyes (Audio CD)
I came to this album quite late, after I had already heard the singles 'Born to Try', 'Innocent Eyes' and 'Lost wihtout you'. Having said that, the album had a lot to live up to and lo and behold, I wasn't at all disappointed. What is even more impressive, is that Delta co-wrote nearly all of the 14 tracks on 'Innocent Eyes', proving that she has true song-writing, as well as singing talent. It's very easy to write Delta off as another Aussie soap star, but please give the girl a chance and listen to the album - she couldn't be further away from Holly Valance or Kylie.
The album starts off with what was her debut single, 'Born to try', which is a song I love and I can really relate to the lyrics. But it is surpassed by track two, the brilliant and haunting 'Innocent Eyes', the song that made me buy this album. Track 3 is what would become her 4th single and is one of my personal favourites - 'Not Me, Not I.' I adore the way she sings, 'I guess that we were seasons out of time.' Absolutely beautiful. I haven't got time to go through every single song, but other highlights include 'Predictable', 'Running Away', and the stunning 'Will You Fall For Me.' I don't know why that last song is pushed right to the back of the album, but I suppose it does end things on a high note.
All in all, I am extremely proud to call myself a fan of Delta Goodrem and I hope she releases some more stuff soon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dela Goodrem is one fantastic singer :), 22 Aug. 2003
This review is from: Innocent Eyes (Audio CD)
Delta Goodrem's Album Innocent eyes is fantastic,I had it delivered on wednesday morning and I havent put it down since I got it as it is so good.It is truely one outstanding album and its worth the money if you havent got it already and its one for your collection.I love Born to Try and of course the song Innocent eyes which is the title of the album.
Delta has a stunning voice which truely is amazing and you will be enveloped by her voice as it washes over you and makes your spine tingle with excitement,I know it does for me.I dont regret buying her album and I give it 10/10.
Thanks Delta for a truely amazing album and all the songs are wonderful.I also love Butterfly as well :) Go Out and buy the album Now! you will be glad you did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant new artist, 19 Oct. 2004
Stracs "Stracs" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Innocent Eyes (Audio CD)
In these days of manufactured pop and boring teenage angst rock, Delta Goodrem is like a breath of fresh air. The fact that it is Neighbours that brought her to the world's attention should not put anyone off buying this album. Also, all you anti-Take Thatists out there, dont let the fact that Gary Barlow co-wrote some of the songs put you off!
Delta has a beautiful, pure singing voice full of emotion and character. Her piano playing is excellent and she co-wrote almost every song on this album. There is not a weak song on Innocent Eyes, and there is a nice variety of song type to keep almost everyone happy. The best songs are Born to Try, an amazing ballad which shows off Delta's vocal range perfectly, In My Own Time, Not Me, Not I and My Big Mistake.
Delta is undoubtedly one of the best new talents around and has been successful because of her talent and not marketing. Innocent Eyes is a fab debut and I look forward to her follow up album now that she has recovered from cancer. Thank goodness this wonderful talent has not been lost to the world yet.

4.0 out of 5 stars A very talented musician., 1 Dec. 2003
Nicola Jarvis (Herts, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Innocent Eyes (Audio CD)
I was reluctant on buying this album as I just do not listen to pop music or know anything about the artists who does sing pop. I knew of Delta through Neighbours. Watching her play piano - my favourite instrument, and hearing her sing got me thinking I may just like her album. I thought that maybe she wasn't really playing the piano, but when I saw two of her music videos and saw she did actually play it I decided to get it.
I was amazed to find she was actually talented. She does indeed play the piano and also writes her songs (or co-writes). Not to mention the voice she has! She really can sing. Delta really sets herself apart from the likes of Holly, Kylie or Jason (did I forget any?)
What I was most pleased with was the mature lyrics. Delta has some originality in her and comes out with ideas we haven't heard before. The downfall of this album is that some tracks sound the same. I don't like the track 'Innocent Eyes' very much but I have listened to the lyrics which are very meaningful. You can tell its a song close to Delta's heart.
I think the most wonderful thing that an artist can give us is themselves portrayed by their talent. Delta does this very well, you can tell how personal this album is for her and with that, we feel with her. Im glad I gave her a chance, she isn't packaged like the others and deserves to go much further. I'm so glad she has got her success without being naked or wearing hotpants in her videos. So, you can get somewhere these days for having a pure voice.

Innocent Eyes