5.0 out of 5 stars Deacon Blue's best album
Published on 27 Nov 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Great album but I feel cheated
It's excellent getting all this music, but the thing I love about deluxe editions is the packaging, the liner notes, etc.

These - plus the bonus DVD - are sadly missing from this release and I've found myself scouring the internet for scans of the missing pieces. Not exactly the best user experience when you're shelling out hard earned cash.

If it...
Published 20 months ago by R. John

5.0 out of 5 stars Deacon Blue's best album, 27 Nov 1999
By A Customer
This is DB's best album by far. It has all the energy of the old DB in the tracks 'Queen of the New Year', 'Real Gone Kid' & 'Fergus Sings the Blues'. However, it also has the classic DB love song 'Love and Regret'. Combine that with the fact that it has 'Circus Lights' on it, which for some reason does not appear on their compilations (even though it is one of their best songs) and you have one cracking album - BUY THIS ONE!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars When You're Ready to take the World....., 4 Jan 2014
F. Smith "Fin" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
If Raintown set Deacon Blue up for success then their follow up album, `When the world Knows Your name' did not disappoint. The band took the template established on their debut and cranked up the volume and energy whilst honing those blue collar anthems expertly. A soupcon of celtic romance and a sprinkling of soul tinged R'n B to keep the mix interesting.

It's a fine album, signature hit `Real Gone Kid', still a party favourite; who hasn't whooped woohoo, woohoo to this at full volume on a new year dancefloor? No. Well no doubt you were sitting in the corner wondering why they never play Nick Cave at parties!. It's a great track and the band's best retirement plan is actually joined by 3 other hit singles. You may have forgotten some of these. `Queen of the New Year' the album opener, is the most celtic influenced and could almost be the Waterboys, Fergus Sings the Blues and Wages Day, more typically anthemic and found them (or Ricky Ross anyway) wearing his socialist, working class credentials on his sleeve.

However the album has other gems; Love and Regret is just lovely sad, poignant soul pop number, This Changing light gets dramatic and captures perfectly the combination of youthful hope balanced by crushed aspiration of the Thatcher years if you were excluded from the financial services gravy train. The World is Lit by Lightning is the album's dramatic centerpiece and I love the romantic drama of it.. The chorus screams ` Cause we're dancing under chandeliers and I'm telling you, Caught in the headlights and I'm yelling it at you, Why is it girl, when the world is lit by lightning, that I keep telling you that I love you'. Whats not to like? The track also give the album its name with its When the World Knows your name climax.

Why Ricky Ross is not a much more feted songwriter and living in tax exile, I really don't know. Or maybe he is... hats off to James Prime as well whose writing contribution rides high on much of this album and on all my favourite tracks.

Oh and did I mention its mixed by the great Bob Clearmountain as well? Icing on the cake....

Loses a star because it peters out on CD a little, the momentum drifting and might've benefitted from a little pruning of a couple of tracks which from memory were omitted from the original vinyl release in 1989. On balance I just about prefer Raintown but it's a close run thing and as I'm sitting here posting this and listening to The World is Lit by Lightning I'm grinning like its my first time.

4.0 out of 5 stars When The World Knows Your Name, 4 Sep 2011
I love this album. It was a classic of it's time and still sounds great almost 20 years later. I have only ever purchased 2 albums where the music sounded so familiar I could have sworn I had heard it before , but knew I hadn't. This is one of them. It's a happy album for me, good for driving to or just listening to. I am really pleased to have re-aquainted myself with these sounds.

5.0 out of 5 stars Re-issue vinyl, 6 Oct 2013
I purchased the reissue. Gatefold.Beautiful red vinyl and sounds great (even on my 1992 record player). Very pleased. Nice price also.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, 24 July 2013
P. Pitchford "Phil Pitchford" (North Wales) - See all my reviews
Replacing my old vinyl and enjoying which was one of my favourite albums, to refresh my memory before going to see them in concert in December

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Deacon Blue album, 16 Oct 2008
This album was really underated and never appears on lists of 'top' albums for whatever reason, but if you like DB then buy this ASAP. The best they made by a long way.

Its one of the best of its time and every track is excellent in its own right. I had it back in '89 but dont know what happened to it, I'm going to order this now, and I cant wait.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 7 July 2014
brilliant and the special addition is superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deacon Blue at it's best, 13 Feb 2014
Deacon Blue came onto the scene probably at the right time in the late 1980s when the charts were being ruled by the bubblegum pop scene and Stock Aitken and Waterman.

The album saw a mixture of rock, pop and soul and every song on the album is well crafted. The album was the follow up to the successful Raintown. The album went to number one in the UK charts and 5 singles were released and all went top 30. It features the classic Real Gone Kid and this is followed up by Wages Day, Fergus sings the blues, Queen of the new year and Love and regret.

The album displays the classic boy v girl with Ricky Ross and Lorraine Mcintosh providing excellent lyrics and vocals. They could play loud and also slow it down and the album ends with 2 great songs Your Constant Heart and the haunting Orphan a perfect way to end the album.

A real classic album from the 1980s with a bit for everyone, no real weak songs on this album and a well crafted album.

4.0 out of 5 stars onlyme, 8 Feb 2014
here we are again with more nostalgia you can not of forgotten Deacon Blue already have you . This recording dates to 1989 what a surprise anyway it has a number of nice tunes on it to sing along to .
also the delivery was absolutely fine , no problemmo

5.0 out of 5 stars Instant nostalgia, 31 Oct 2012
A. Miller "allanm" (Cumbria) - See all my reviews
For some reason I never bought this. Knew and liked the many singles that came off it, but didn't bother with the album itself ... but I caught up with them live in 2012, loved them, finally bought it ... what a treat! Song after song of outstanding class and quality. The first four tracks, singles all, make it more like a Greatest Hits than a standalone album, but they could have hit the top 20 with several more. Standout moment is when Lorraine gets a brief few solo words ... like Wendy in Prefab Sprout, but with more 'oomph', she adds beautiful feminine colour to the songs. And Scotland's Mr Sport, Dougie Vipond, drives the whole confection like a train - a great drummer. Was there ever a better, thumping intro than 'Real Gone Kid'?

So I find myself, at 55, catching up with an album that takes me right back to ... ["1987 ... 1988 ... 1989"], even with songs that I only just heard ... better late than never. Don't miss out.