5.0 out of 5 stars The blues with bite

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars
Not for me
Published 2 months ago by Michael

5.0 out of 5 stars The blues with bite, 19 May 2008
I have always liked Nina Simone but have never before bought one of her albums. I've been put off by the amount of compilations and her varied output, both in quality and style. This one, however, is right on the button. I think anyone who enjoys the blues will enjoy this album. She sings with real sassiness, sometimes sexy, sometimes angry and bitter as in Backlash Blues which is a fantastic rant against racism. A real protest sing. 'You give me second class houses and second class schools, do you think that all coloured folk are just second class fools?'. As it says on the back of the sleeve, 'Nina Simone-with heart at all times. A great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars BACKLASH BLUES, 31 Jan. 2014
HAYLING BOOK & MUSIC VENUE (follow us on Face... (26 Rails Lane Hayling Island) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
If you are going to own any Nina Simone album, please buy this.

It is one of the most sublime albums I have heard in years. Her vocals are tender, poignant, occasionally cutting - just gorgeous.

The choice of songs brings out the very best in her - when she is singing with just the piano accompanying, it is utterly haunting.

Sheer class!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 22 April 2010
I love blues music and Nina Simone's fantastic voice. The combination of the two is beautiful. She plays the piano very well, too.

The opening track, "Do I move you" sets the mood immediately and is rightly given a second version towards the end of the album. If you think that a harmonica is a must for "proper" blues, you won't be disappointed by this album either. The blues tracks ("In the dark", "Mr. Backlash", "I want a little sugar in my bowl", "Since I fell for you", and the wonderful "Blues for mama") are the best in this album, though some of them veer towards jazz more than blues . There are also some political statements, as can be expected from the feisty Ms. Simone.

The style keeps shifting, though. Some tracks are more pop than blues (e.g., "Day and night"), others lean towards soul or even gospel ("Real,real", "Whatever I am" and an unusual version of "House of the rising sun"), and there is even a jazz standard of sorts (a beautiful rendition of "My man's gone now").

Regardless of style, all tracks benefit from Simone's effortless voice and the good musical backing.

A lovely album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nina Simons sings the blues, 9 July 2012
Rpa De-layen Vian "Roz" (Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Nina Simone Sings The Blues (MP3 Download)
What more can I add to the hugely deserved accolades. Many of today's musicians, bands, singers, owe so much to this lady. She's up there with the greats - Sarah Vaughan and Ella Firzgerald and is a blend of their jazz feel and the vocal timbre of Della Reese. If this is not in your collection I urge you to add it as soon as possible - buy two copies for when you wear the first one out! You will...
I bought my second copy at a bargain price from Amazon.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 4 Aug. 2013
to me only a few can truly sing the blues and this woman is one of them, great feel and she does everything as if she has all the time in the world. great album

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 24 Mar. 2014
I loved this CD. Wow what a voice I heard a radio programme about Nina Simone and after hearing her sing decided to buy this. No bad tracks

5.0 out of 5 stars Just great, 17 Mar. 2014
I love the passion, the voice, the swing. Great singer and realy great album. A must have on any serious Jazz colection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nina, 17 May 2014
Excellent album, smooth, slow classic Simone for those lazy summer days - amn album to chill out to, timeless classic

5.0 out of 5 stars ouch!, 26 Jun. 2010
R. Poole "baby boomer" (london uk) - See all my reviews
nina sings the blues,yep this does what it says in the title;raw ,real blues,no hiding behind lush orchestrations,this is as earthy as you can get.no holds barred in this one, she gives it her all, especially in "my mans gone now".pow!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Notch, 18 Jan. 2015
Glorious music. Great sound quality, too.

Nina Simone Sings The Blues