5.0 out of 5 stars ETTA JUST KEEPS GETTIN' BETTA'
The legendary Etta James has said that she was inspired to record this album after seeing the PBS TV series "The Blues" produced by Martin Scorcese.
Published on 30 Jun. 2004 by Gail Cooke

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing
Published on 3 Jun. 2005 by Richard Vernon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars ETTA JUST KEEPS GETTIN' BETTA', 30 Jun. 2004
Gail Cooke (TX, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blues To The Bone (Audio CD)
Referring to the series James said, "What I found was so full of what life is about: being born and dying; joy and sorrow; salvation and sin......As I started reaching deeper I realized that most of the blues of that day was done by men. Women just didn't have the nerve. So I thought it was about time to show them what these songs might sound like coming from a whole different point of view."
Surely can't comment on the differences between points of view but I can say this is one terrific album - a must-have for blues aficionados. "Honey Don't Tear My Clothes" is unbelievable, as is "Don't Start Me Talking."
Featured on the album are James's sons Donto James and Sametto James; guitarists Josh Sklair and Bobby Murray plus harmonica player John "Juke" Logan. Liner notes are by Martin Scorcese.
This one's a keeper!
- Gail Cooke

5.0 out of 5 stars blues to the bone, 25 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Blues To The Bone (Audio CD)
If you like Blues and Etta James this has to be in your collection. Unlike the music of today this is Blues in the old style and the words can be heard. I have 3 CDs in my collection by Etta James and rate this as one of her best. Sorry but 5* just not enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Blues as it should be!, 18 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Blues To The Bone (Audio CD)
Etta James has really nailed the very essence of the blues on this outstanding album! She sings with passion and real feeling to bring out the meaning of the songs. There isn't a bad track on this collection and that is something you can't say about many albums. If you are a true fan of the blues then this album without doubt deserves a place in your collection. Buy it! I guarantee you will not be disappointed.

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit disappointing, 3 Jun. 2005
This review is from: Blues To The Bone (Audio CD)
I've been a fan of Etta's for nearly 40 years, and I especially love her blues material, but, frankly, this isn't her best shot at it. Most of the songs are covers of the songs that made me get into the blues in the first place, such as 'Don't Start Me Talking', 'Smokestack Lightnin' and many more, but the sad fact is that she doesn't really seem to put her heart and soul into it, just, well, run through a collection of standards. The only one that really seems to work for me is 'Crawling King Snake', which has a slightly unusual arrangemnet which lifts it out of the ordinary. Her attempt at 'howlin' (like the Wolf) is, frankly laughable. Most of the tracks don't really stack up against the originals, admittedly a pretty tall order since they were so great. All a bit sad, in my opinion. At least I must say it's great to hear her singing the blues again, and seemimgly in good health. I hope she makes many more blues CD's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Etta's blues "best of", 28 Jan. 2013
Mr. A. Beato "Alex Beato" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blues To The Bone (MP3 Download)
If you're looking for Etta James' blues all in one place, this is a must! I absolutely recommend it. Spot on!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best, 16 May 2012
P. J. Long (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blues To The Bone (MP3 Download)
This is one of the best blues albums I've bought. Her voice isn't what it was but I don't think this detracts from the sound. I've been a fan of hers for years, but have never liked the way her records have aged. The backing on a great many of her best recordings is awful. But this is wonderful. Worth every penny.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blues is best, 21 April 2012
This review is from: Blues To The Bone (Audio CD)
Etta James has the classical voice for this genre of music. Easy to listen to but emotional at the same time. I listen to it in the car, but not sure I should as I tend to drift off with the atmosphere. If you like Blues, you've got to have this in your collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soul Queen sings blues superbly., 12 Sept. 2012
A. Wellman "disctone" (London United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blues To The Bone (Audio CD)
Being a blues fan I was interested in the fact that Etta,who I associated with soul was going to deal with classic tracks like Smokestack Lightning,Dust my Broom etc.Well rest as ease she does them all well.It's great value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh! this womans voice!, 28 Jan. 2013
Mrs. Ruth Clough "ruthyruth" (manchester...uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blues To The Bone (MP3 Download)
Love this music, I have downloaded it to my Ipod to take on hoilday. It is the most chilled music to soothe the soul, great whilst sat by the fire with a glass of red, or by the pool with a cocktail!

5.0 out of 5 stars blues, 26 Oct. 2012
This review is from: Blues To The Bone (Audio CD)
This is a great album and my first of Etta. If Joe Bonamassa and Beth Hart think she's great then I cannot go wrong with my choice.
I cannot believe that I haven't bought any before.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›