5.0 out of 5 stars A great third album.
Published on 15 Mar 2007 by AK74

1.0 out of 5 stars I second - The pressing is simply awful
I am a huge fan of the kings and made it a goal to have all their albums in vinyls. This album is the best one and the songs on it makes you want to put the volume up and blast yours ears - aint gonna happen with this Vinyl record.

Published on 5 Feb 2011 by tali mahlouf

5.0 out of 5 stars A great third album., 15 Mar 2007
AK74 (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Because Of The Times (Audio CD)
I'm a big KoL fan and I had been waiting or this album for a long time. In my opinion, it's certainly a progression from the previous two albums - more mature with more going on musically. So much so, that there is a lot to take in on the first listen, i'd argue. I recommend listening to it again either immediately or a little later and the really album comes to life.

The overall sound is quite different to Y&YM and ASH, which were more striped down in comparison. This album, to me at least, has somewhat of an 80s vibe to it. Not the bad stuff, rather all the decent guitar bands of the era. "Charmer" for example, sounds remarkably like something off of Pixies' "Sufer Rosa" or "Doolittle" albums, it's uncanny, complete with screams, repetitive bassline, distorted guitar chords and leads. "McFearless" reminds me of early U2 material. "Black Thumbnail" opens with a more familiar KoL sound but soon rocks out hard, when they step on the gas. Incidentally, the heavy parts on this album really are a lot heavier and fuller than on previous albums and will certainly get you moving.

[...]

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what you call delivering the goods, 25 Mar 2007
This review is from: Because Of The Times (Audio CD)
When I first got my ears around this album I knew it was something special. Showcasing a bundle of brilliant new tracks Because of These Times proves that the band is really coming of age. Caleb is back as good as ever with his quirky lyrics and unique squeely voice and the guitar work is fresh with plenty of southern-fried riffs and vibrant hooks that will get inside your brain and have you whistling away after a few listens.

By now you may have heard the advanced single 'On Call' and initially thought hmmm this isn't the familiar old KOL sound that I know?. Well fear not because you will find that the single is in no way representative of the album's overall flavour. Not that 'On Call' is by any means a bad track, in fact it just shows the versatility of a band that is capable of taking their sound in other pleasantly surprising directions.

The feel of the album is a fine mixture in pace with a few slower thoughtful numbers ('True Love Way', 'The Runner', 'Arizona') mixed in amongst a barrel-load of pacey rock gems that are the now familiar KoL trademark. The effect works nicely, starting out slowly the album opens with the delicate but steady 'Knocked Up' then launches in to the bass-heavy 'Charmer', it then mellows out again with 'On Call' after which decending in to the raw 'McFearless' featuring some excellent drumming technique from Nathan. Just four songs in the album is already cooking.

The track order sits really well and you never really feel like anything sticks out of place. The usual fun numbers are present throughout including one of my personal favourites 'Ragoo'. 'Fans' is a really catchy song, a lovely little feel-good track featuring acoustic accompaniment. 'Trunk' is a funky little ditty with a really nice dream-like chorus layered with a soulful vocal drift from Caleb. My stand-out track would probably have to be 'Camaro', a punchy rocker of a tune which really gets your head bopping.

There are plenty of songs here that have single potential and of course with such a fresh sounding body of work there will surely be some great live gigs to come from the boys in the future. you can just tell that these guys are really enjoying making music and not scared of being the victims of previous success. Let's face it there are not many bands these days who make it to 3 albums while improving each time but Kings of Leon seem to pull it off in style. I really can't wait to see them on tour this summer, easily the coolest band around at the moment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Harder, edgier a great tonic to the mass of nu punk, 14 Mar 2007
J. TAYLOR (Europe) - See all my reviews
The King's first two albums are great pieces of rock, melodic, witty and enduring. I wasn't quite sure what to expect with this, lets face it more of the same would've been fine.

The album starts slowly and the first track 'Knocked up' isn't really indicative of the rest of the album tempo wise, it sort of eases you into their 'new' sound, or atleast the sound of this album. Its kind of similar to Kings of old. Then comes Charmer, this track really sets the stall out for the rest of the album. The sound is generally harder and edgier than Aha Shaker Heartbrake, melodies take a slight step back in favour of a more guitar driven, in places almost metal sound.

The result is a breath of fresh air when compared to all the soundalike nu punk bands around at the moment. To those on here who say this isn't a change of style, I disagree, just listen to tracks 2 through 9 and you'll see what I mean.

The other standout for this album is (just like the other Kings' album's) all the tracks are worthy of a listen. Very few bands make albums these days where you just stick the cd in and press play.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely devastatingly amazing 3rd album, 2 Mar 2007
This is the album I have been waiting for, for years.

I have followed the Kings of Leon since first seeing them in the New Bands Tent at Glastonbury many moons ago, and have been a huge fan ever since.

No other band have touched me musically since their first album rocked it's way into my life, and I thought I had heard it all when the second album stormed it's way onto my playlist, but seriously, they have surpassed themselves.

This album is simply wonderful. It has a beating heart that kicks all sort of a**e in all sorts of directions.

I note that the previous reviewer says it's slower that Aha Shake Heartbreak.

I disagree.

How can Knocked up, On Call, McFearless, Ragoo or Fans be classed as slow ? And that's not even mentioning Charmer, the second track, that blew my mind when I first heard those stucco yelps.

I admit, there are a FEW slow ones, but that's on an album of 13 tracks. Hardly a majority.

All in all, this is an album that has totally gone beyond my wildest dreams as a third offering from a band that haven't really even made it in the US, and who owe all their success to a loyal fan base in the UK.

Musically, this album is just astounding. The drums are of a clarity I haven't heard since Secret Machines. The guitars are either fuzzy, crisp, or mind bendingly bendy. And they don't sound confused. It all fits together perfectly. And Caleb's singing is just insane. Enough said.

1.0 out of 5 stars I second - The pressing is simply awful, 5 Feb 2011
This review is from: Because of The... [VINYL] (Vinyl)

I put the volume up ALL THE WAY only to find out the burned copy of the CD I have in my car provides 10 times better quality than this. And it wasnt a cheap purchase either. If you collect - go for it, if you want to buy it for listening... get the cd.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect., 19 April 2010
This review is from: Because Of The Times (Audio CD)
This album is what makes me say these guys are the best, most original band since Led Zeppelin. And, please believe me, I do not say that lightly. No rock 'n' roll party album, this is truly haunting. The intricate, layered guitars are more grown up and sophisticated than pretty much anything else out there at the moment, at least in the almost-mainstream. They capture what it means to be a youngish, principled but slightly aggro, man in the 21st century, and they do it absolutely perfectly. Knocked Up, True Love Way, Ragoo, Fans, Arizona are the haunting anthemics that stay with you. That's 5 whole tracks FFS. Camaro is my fave. The CD is probably less then the price of a beer by now, just buy it. And then all the others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album from a great band., 29 Jan 2008
N. Thompson "Beaker" (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Because Of The Times (Audio CD)
This latest Kings of Leon album is a master-peice. More haunting than their first 2 excellent albums and more creative. Perhaps the best and most original band to come out of America in years. I cant wait for their next album.

4.0 out of 5 stars KOL grow up and get dark., 13 Mar 2007
Mr. P. C. Purvis "kowalski1889" (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Because Of The Times (Audio CD)
After being a massive KOL fan from day one I was very worried about the upcoming 3rd album. They surprised most by releasing a 'tricky' second album that surpassed everyones expectations, especially mine.

From the mammoth opening track (over 7 minutes) of 'Because of the Times' it is clear that KOL are painting a very different picture. The looping bass lines throughout the album point to heavier pixies-esque references. The red-neck yelps are still present but represent a much more sinister side to the Followills songwriting. I've been listening to this album for non-stop now and although it may not have the stand-out singles of the past two, 'Because of the Times' is a classic grown-up KOL album and a must have for old and new fans alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant. full stop., 11 Aug 2008
Diane "Diane1606" (Buxton, Derbyshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Because Of The Times (Audio CD)
I'm 46. My eldest daughter is almost 22. (not that THAT matters, but I'm perhaps a little older than the average Kings of Leon "fan"?) Because of the Times is one of those rare cd's you can put on, and listen to, (all the way through) when you need a cd you can put on, and listen to, all the way through, without having to fast forward through the rubbish bits. Because there aren't any. (rubbish bits) Brilliant, as I said.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 3 May 2007
C. Adams - See all my reviews
This review is from: Because Of The Times (Audio CD)
This album is easily as good as the others and anyone that says otherwise is sorely mistaken.

I have loved both albums so far and this one did not dissapoint.

It is a more chilled out veriety of songs but all of them i could listen to over and over again.

Some of the lyrics are deeply moving to and add another debth to the album.

comes thouraly recommended from me for and kings of leon fan and anyone who doesn't know them.

Aha shake heartbreak is still my favourite album but i have fallen deeply in love with this one

Because Of The Times