5.0 out of 5 stars The Kings

Published on 24 Sep 2008 by P. Limmer

5.0 out of 5 stars The Kings, 13 Oct 2008
V. Snow (Hull, Uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Only by the Night (Audio CD)
Firstly, I feel I should say that after years of buying from Amazon, and hundreds of purchases later, I have never felt compelled to leave a review. With this album, that changes. It irritates me slightly that many of the previous reviews seem to be negative, mostly written by the 'die hard fans' that believe their opinion rocks, and seemingly that the KOL should in fact, produce albums to simply suit them, and them alone. I've got all the KOL albums, yes, they are all very different in style but so they should be - i wouldn't be too happy if a group released album after album of the same old. In fact, if the albums were all along the same lines, I would imagine people will be moaning about that too. Perhaps, the critics should open their minds to the fact that the KOL have evolved. They've grown up, had a change of style, produced something different, and also probably gained a whole new set of fans in the long run. That's what a successful band does. So, to all the die hard fans who believe they've been personally ripped off and done over - the world doesn't revolve around you.

Rant over. This album is possibly the most influencial, easy on the ears, moving, inspiring, and just genuinely awesome piece of work i have ever c ome across. It's been playing in every single aspect of my life since the day it arrived. Caleb's vocals are unbelieveable. There isn't a remotely bad track on the album, although some are by far stand out winners. My personal faves are Manhattan, I Want You, and above all, Sex on Fire. It's an amazing track - sometimes you just find a song that does funny things to you...If you've read any of the reviews, and you're in any doubt at all as to if to buy this album or not, just buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 18 Feb 2009
H. Ali (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Only by the Night (Audio CD)
Its been a while since I've been able to put on an album from this genre and enjoy it as much as I enjoyed this one. I can honestly say every single song on the album is excellent and stands on its own, and thats rare to say especially at this time when there is so much rubbish coming out onto the scene, all of which sounds the same and is completely uninspiring. If you're going to buy just one album this year, this should definitely be it. Brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Only By The Night, 2 Nov 2008
Brogan (Huddersfield, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Only by the Night (Audio CD)
First of all, I want to say that the only criticism people seem to give this album is that it's more mainstream than Kings of Leon's previous three albums. So what? That doesn't make it a bad album. If anything, it's a good thing. I found this album very accessible, whereas before I couldn't really get into their music. After hearing Only By The Night, I bought all their other albums and I now consider them one of my favourite bands. This album introduced me to their work.
Only By The Night isn't as good as Kings of Leon's previous album, Because of The Times (it'd be difficult to top that), but it's still a great album that easily deserves it's acclaim. Only By The Night features their catchiest song, Sex On Fire, and some of the most powerful and moving songs they've ever produced. The only song here I don't like would be Use Somebody, which feels like a basic pop song that's below the Kings of Leon, but all the other songs here have something to offer and are generally brilliant.

3.0 out of 5 stars A perfectly decent album...but for Kings Of Leon, it's just not enough., 24 Sep 2008
P. Limmer "MrMellow" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Only by the Night (Audio CD)
The first thiung to point out is how good a band KOL actually are - brilliant live, and their track records of albums has been outstanding. I honestly believe they're a band that have got better with every album, which is why only the 3 star review for this one - it hasn't completely blown me away like the rest. It's still a good album, some great songs, but I can't help but feeling I've heard it all before. Lead single Sex On Fire is outstanding, but the album seems to get lost after the first three or four songs, then just meanders through, going through the motions until it's over and you can't help but thinking 'is that it?'

Still worth a purchase, but don't be expecting the earth to move as with their previous releases.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best yet, 28 Nov 2008
This review is from: Only by the Night (Audio CD)
I simply believe that this is their most musically accomplished album to date. I haven't been overly keen on their previous efforts, feeling that their sound was a little contrived.

I'm a fan of progressive rock and metal, Tool, The Mars Volta, Sigur Ros, Exlosions in the Sky etc...I am not a pop fan and thoroughly disagree that this is some sort of pop/rock 'sellout' album. It is beautifully written, expressive and emotional.

Well done KOL, this is the first one I've actually bought! The music also stands out live compared with their old music, this is a really positive progression for the band.

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good stuff, 29 Sep 2008
This review is from: Only by the Night (Audio CD)
Have loved all 3 of the previous KOL albums but it is pretty obvious that they have been evolving their sound with each album, becoming a little more subdued and mainstream each time and you can actually understand most of the lyrics now as well.

I would agree with some of the reviews that a number of the songs on Only By The Night could be played over the closing credits of some movie, this doesn't make them bad songs, just different to what has gone before.

Not their best work but by no means a bad album.

4.0 out of 5 stars Strong songs that don't quite click together, 28 Nov 2008
This review is from: Only by the Night (Audio CD)
I don't quite understand it but listening to the album as a whole i got a little bored after five or six tracks. Then i put it on random with 4 or 5 other albums and found that individually all 11 songs were great.

I suppose that makes it a great album, i just can't listen to it all in one go. Perhaps the only thing missing a few livelier tracks to mix up the tempo.

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent album, 24 Nov 2008
C. Kennedy "CFK" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Only by the Night (Audio CD)
My faviourite band but not my favourite album. I agee with the previous review that bands should evolve but evolving as a band and evolving as an enterprise are two different concepts. In my opinion this album is more commercial than the previous two and is my least favoruite. That said my least favourite Kings of Leon album is still a great album.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW!!!, 6 Nov 2008
J. Davies "Soundman" (East Midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Only by the Night (Audio CD)
I bought this on a whim, and also the new Oasis album. Well I have played the Oasis album once, and the KOL album is being played to death!!! I have now bought their other albums and this is my current top band. Utterly brilliant band and I like how they have a different sound across their albums. A++

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album - I'm converted, 16 Mar 2010
This review is from: Only by the Night (Audio CD)
This album is not my usual choice of music, but as it was a bargain price I decided to purchase a copy. I'd heard several of the tracks many times on the airwaves so I thought I knew what to expect? The album is a masterpiece, not just because of the brilliant Sex On Fire! Several other stand out tracks are Crawl, I Want You and Notion. The album is both edgy and moody and it's has certainly converted me to a fan of The Kings of Leon and I appreciate the way their music is evolving. I seem to have the album stuck on play within the car for weeks?

Only By The Night