5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect introduction to Jazz for non "Jazz" lovers, 12 May 2005
Andrew Goodman (Tarbes, Hautes-Pyrenees France) - See all my reviews
I think I first heard this CD when I borrowed it from my local library. The only tune I'd heard was Take 5 (actually a Paul Desmond composition) Listening to the CD was something of a reveleation for me. It was as though I had finally discovered the kind of jazz music I'd been looking for for ages. Not overly technical in a "look how good I am with my 10 minute solo" kind of way, which by the way I don't really like and tire of very quickly. Brubeck & Co are very tuneful and very understated in their approach, yet remain very technically good. I like clever jazz and clever melodies, and that's what this is, not in your face and brash.
This cd has a nice little collection of songs from various albums, including a few from Time Out. It also has the wonderful track 'I'm in a dancing mood' which I haven't seen elsewhere, and I don't think Brubeck wrote it either - It is however, just amazing and so full of swinging energy that I love it. 'In your own sweet way' is a similarly great solo piano piece in which Brubeck shows his finesse on the ivories. Bossa nova USA is another quality track. You don't have to be a hardcore Jazz fan to like this. It's very tuneful, and will have you tapping your toe if you're in any way into rhythm. It may also open you up to one of the most underrated jazz piano player-songwriters of the last 50 years. I'm so pleased I borrowed this from the library, it's been a wonderful musical journey.

5.0 out of 5 stars This will defy the foot-tappers!, 3 May 2009
It's easy to dismiss this as 'just jazz'. My musical tastes were created under the influence of 'Led Zeppelin', 'Deep Purple' and 'Free'.

My 'O level' Music teacher challenged me to tap my foot in time with some of Brubeck's tunes. It opened up a new world of rhythm for me!

Definitely music to be mellow to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Smooth and Bumpy, 31 Mar 2014
Very hip smooth and bumpy jazz at its best I had this album years not realising what it was and when I played it I couldnt stop playing it. classic classy and gets you dancing.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Jazz man!, 2 Feb 2014
I was delighted with this album. I love this sort of jazz, the kind that is playing in a movie and has you wanting to know who it's by. Take 5 will forever be a firm favourite. You won't be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes - Get This!, 1 Dec 2013
I only knew Take Five before getting this CD but discovered many other memorable pieces. Buy this and you will play it again and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dave at his best on this CD, 19 Mar 2013
Nostaligally wonderful - the revitalising of an old recording gave it new life for me. I've listened to it twice qlready ! Packaging great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great., 17 Mar 2013
Valley (Bournemouth) - See all my reviews
I know all these pieces as have them - but this is a great collection by a great man. Always feels as if he is loving playing as if he plays as much for himself as for others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing Back Memories, 6 Jan 2011
So pleased we were able to buy this CD on Amazon. It has brought back so many memories as were great fans of Dave Brubeck in the 50's and 60's

5.0 out of 5 stars Crossover artist, 19 Nov 2006
1962 was Brubecks's greatest year-when his music went to the masses.It fits in well with the Golden Age of the Instrumental and Bossa Nova USA is the business

His chart career began in 1961 with Take 5-which like some of the followups had been recorded in the later 50s but not known to that many unless they were into cool jazz.

Brubeck would spawn the Vince Guaraldi Trio and the Ramsey Lewis Trio-other jazzmen who suddenly found themselves on the charts-though with the latter it was more planned.

In the 50s Brubeck cut an album called Dave Digs Disney and became one of the few jazzmen to immortalise Alice In Wonderland-this album though is only available in the UK as an import