on 21 November 2009
This is exactly what you'd expect from a Johnny Cash christmas album and then there are some atmospheric talking tracks still with the music behind, but if you don't like that kind of thing there's 20 tracks to find something you do like. A great christmas album as I expected it to be and better 5 stars for an Xmas album!
on 23 December 2010
I really enjoy this album!
I would also highly recommend Johnny's Country Christmas album, which is the one I remember my parents playing when I was a kid - some of the songs are on both albums, but the versions on country Christmas are better, in my opinion.
on 20 January 2013
Was instantly taken hearing one of the song featured in an advert, so decided to order it and was very happy to add it to my collection of lovely Xmas songs .
on 11 January 2013
thoroughly enjoyed this seasonal cd containing alot of old favourites which johnny put his own touch to. some songs unheard of but loved.
on 1 January 2013
I Didn't realize Jonny Cash released this CD. untill i heard one of the songs used on an Advert on Tv.
This is a briliant cd.
on 31 December 2012
A good Christmas album for any Johnny Cash fans. A good selection of well known Christmas songs. A good buy at a really good price
on 3 March 2013
I chose this cd because I have lots of Johnny Cash cd's but really wanted his christmas songs and this is special.
on 10 December 2012
Johnny Cash made 3 Christmas albums for Columbia and these have been reissued at least a dozen times
Here are the eqivalent of a couple of them which includes some pretty impressive monologues like There was a Man and Ballad of the Harp Weaver
As for some of the daft reviews on here its worth thinking that Christmas is not all peace and love for many-you only have to think of Good King Wenseslaus which is about poverty or Little Drummer Boy
Or the Coventry Carol which was first inspired by the Massacre of the Innocents
on 9 January 2010
Received this album for Christmas and have given it a couple of listens. At first I was put of by the shmaltzy hollywood Christmas style backing (both music and choir) to some of the tracks. However, the wonderful Cash voice wins out in most cases. The album gets more interesting with the talking tracks and the hard luck stories told in them. They may not be what you would expect, but Cash's tone and voice makes them either tug at your heartstrings or makes them over the top funny. A curate's egg of an album but worth a listen.
on 12 December 2013
I get an alternative Christmas song collection each year and this is my favourite, up there with Christmas In The Heart from Bob Dylan and The Classic Christmas Album from Willie Nelson. Worth it alone for the track That Christmasy Feeling written by younger brother Tommy Cash. I do not understand why the song is not on more Christmas collections, or indeed apparently on any other. i have not even come across cover versions. It must be the most underrated country Christmas song of all time.