on 8 May 2006
Though not as good as his later works, I do believe that this album is slightly better than sweetheart of the rodeo, simply due to the greater Parsons contribution.

A nice, if short album, this CD reissue could do with bonus tracks (An outtake from the session appears on the Gram Parsons anthology, and the other ISB singles appear on the sweetheart legacy edition CD), and the track listing is slightly misleading, with Folsom Prison blues and Thats alright mama listed as separate tracks when they actually lead into one another.

The quality is not as good as the anthology remasters, mainly because this CD now has a little age to it.

All this aside, grab the chance to hear the first real country rock record - put it on, turn it up and marvel at Gram Parson's genius (although the slightly goofy song introductions do detract) and go search out the rest of the parsons catalogue.
on 8 August 2008
I think this is an adorable little album. It's very mellow. I like this and "Sweetheart of the Rodeo" much better than the Flying Burritos' albums. The ISB version of "Do you know how it feels to be lonesome" brings tears to my eyes, which the FBB version never could.
"Blue eyes" is a cute song about a contented home life. "Millers cave" is funny, and all the more appropriate for Gram as it is set in his hometown of Waycross, GA. When I hear it I always think of David Crosby as aggressive Big Dave; but Gram nicked Dave's girlfriend!
Emmylou Harris fans will recognise some of the tracks, e.g. "Luxury liner", and I like to compare Gram's version of "A satisfied mind" with the version The Byrds did on "Turn turn turn".
on 26 November 2014
great album, pity he passed away so young