Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£8.09

on 25 October 2005
Six years after their last album Peace, and less than six months after Annie Lennox's wonderful performance at Live8, Eurythmics return with two new songs and a new Greatest Hits collection.
17 of the 19 tracks catalogue their impressive career up to the present: the ice-cold electronica of "Sweet Dreams...", the glorious pop of "Here Comes the Rain Again", the AOR of "Thorn In My Side", the calm of 1999 hit "I Saved the World Today". And yes, you will know most of these songs already! All have the same things in common: the impressive vocal range of Annie Lennox, the ground-breaking production and arrangements of Dave Stewart, the often clever lyrics ("sweet dreams are made of this, who am I to disagree..."). New tracks "I've Got A Life", an up-tempo dance song; and "Was It Just Another Love Affair", tender and melancholic; see them sounding as good as ever, and fit in nicely amongst their other gems.
75 million records all over the world, awards galore, artists as eclectic as Marilyn Manson and Diddy covering and sampling their material: all bear testament to the superb quality of the songs this duo created. As a collection, this set is flawless. However, this collection is essentially a re-packaging of their 1991 Greatest Hits, and given the success of Lennox's set at Live8, this does reek slightly of "cashing in". But when sweet dreams are made of this, who really cares? Not me, anyway. And nor should anyone else, if you want seriously good music you will not go far wrong with this.
on 5 December 2005
I was thrilled to see that Eurythmics were releasing a new single "I've got a life". It is an unusual title, however, very catchy and after a few listens is embedded into your consciousness. Eurythimcs never played safe so it would have been disapointing if the song and title weren't quirky.
The other new song on this CD is in an R'n'B style and after a few listens, you can't get it out of your head no matter how subdued it seems at first.
The rest of the songs are all well known classics and are familiar to all Eurythmics fans. It was nice to see some new tracks off "Peace" included, however, I think for Eurythmics fans of old, the value lies in the 2 new songs and the fact that all tracks have been re-mastered thus improving the listening quality.
I wondered at the reason for not including "Don't ask me why", "Angel" and concluded that they may be too controversial to religious sensibilities. Angel less so, however, it does appear to be about suicide. Leaving these out makes the album marketable worldwide in the same format and more profitable for Dave & Annie as the co-production payouts for the "We too are one" era songs will not be there!
Without a doubt, it is far better to have a copy of the greatest hits CD and the single "I've got a life", however, I still count "Was it just a love affair" as a wonderful song that I wouldn't want to be without.
What I'd love to see is "Eurythmics - The singles collection". This would be a double CD with the inclusion of all the missing songs "Never gonna cry again, Belinda, This is the house, Julia, Shame, Beethoven, King and Queen of America, Revival and the acoustic version of "You have placed a chill in my heart" that made it a big hit.
Thanks Dave and Annie & please can we have some more!
on 8 November 2013
Played so much, I have had to buy a new copy, TWICE!
I guess that says it all!
This is true talent........undiluted (IMO)

I love it all, but my favourites are played EXTRA LOUD, usually on my own in the motor car!

Catch a snatch (remastered version):

Thorn in my side
Would I lie to you?
Who's that girl
Sweet dreams (are made of this)
Here comes the rain again
You've placed a chill in my heart
Miracle of love
Love is a stranger

'.....And love, love, love is a dangerous drug
You have to receive it and you still can't get enough of the stuff ......'

Along with the simply outstanding:

Sisters are doin' it for themselves

'Now there was a time
when we used to say
that behind every great man
there had to be a great woman
But in these times of change
you know that it's no longer true
So we're comin' out of the kitchen
'cause there's something we forgot to say to you
We say, "Sisters are doin' it for themselves"
Standin' on their own two feet and ringin' on their own bells
We say, "Sisters are doin' it for themselves"......'

Enough said, I think?
on 2 December 2005
I agree with quite a few of the comments already posted. Many of their groundbreaking classics are here but the tracks chosen for this compilation more or less duplicate what was on the previous Greatest Hits collection and seminal tracks such as Beethoven, SexCrime, Don't Ask Me Why and Angel are curiously absent with no explanation. Very early in Eurythmics career, a video entitled Sweet Dreams Are Made Of This was released which featured a live performance from Heaven nightclub and specially shot footage of some of the tracks from that album. It even had little animated puppets of Dave and Annie by Bura & Hardwick (creators of Camberwick Green). It wasn't long before it was pulled from the shelves due to reported unhappiness on the part of Dave & Annie. They also famously fell out with Dominic Mulrooney who was involved in the score for 1984 which resulted in them withdrawing their support for the project even though the record was finished and available in the shops. It makes me wonder if the tracks that have been omitted from this collection are victims of similar problems 'behind the scenes'. If this is the case, this is very sad as the result is an incomplete product that omits some of their finest work.
VINE VOICEon 17 November 2005
This album has 14 tracks in common with the previous Eurythmics compilation. However, this time round they are all digitally –remastered and presented well in new packaging.
There are two new tracks, which are okay but not as memorable or inspired as the older material. This compilation is also missing Sex Crime 1984, which is quite an omission really as it was quite a big hit.
Eurythmics were always a rather classy act and this compilation is an excellent look at their career. From the sparing electronics of Love Is A Stranger to the downright melancholy of You Put A Chill In My Heart, the repertoire is deliciously varied.
I feel that Dave Stewart and Annie Lennox have been at their best while working together and this album should grace every collection. I just don’t want to see it out again in a couple of years with another title.
on 14 November 2014
Eurythmics were one of the most prominent British synthpop acts of the 1980s. To their credit, they have over a dozen of worldwide hits, and almost every album in their impressive catalogue has been certified as gold or multi-platinum. All songs included in this compilation have been newly remastered and arranged in a near chronological order, what brilliantly presents the evolution of the band's music. Initially pioneers of the synthpop scene, what is reminded of by the classics "Love Is a Stranger", "Who's That Girl?", "Here Comes the Rain Again" and, naturally, the immortal "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)", Annie Lennox and Dave Stewart experimented with rock and soul on their mid-eighties album "Be Yourself Tonight", which spawned "Would I Lie to You?" and the evergreen "There Must Be an Angel". Subsequent releases saw duo's further departure from electro-pop towards rock music. Even though new singles didn't fly high in charts, Eurythmics still managed to produce many irresistible tracks, such as "When Tomorrow Comes", "I Need a Man" or the moving ballad "The Miracle of Love". The compilation disappointingly omits the hit single "Sexcrime (Nineteen Eighty-Four)" and any recording representing the "We Too Are One" album, what would have made this collection truly "ultimate". It is made up for with two new songs though, including "I've Got a Life", which easily is one of the best things Eurythmics released since the second half of the eighties. The brilliant synthpop anthem about not giving up is a straightforward reference to the "Sweet Dreams" era, while the other novelty, "Was It Just Another Love Affair?", brings to mind the soul-inspiring music of Annie's solo effort "Bare", released two years earlier.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 16 August 2013
Not many collections entitled 'The Ultimate Collection' live up to that lofty title but this collection by Eurythmics comes very close. Sure, one or two hits are absent but to have included a second disc and then to have filled it up with a majority of 'lesser lights' to include them would have been a big mistake. Instead, what you do get here is a 19 track trawl through the duo's very best or most popular songs and two 'new songs'. I say 'very best or most popular songs' because I personally think 'There Must Be An Angel Playing With My Heart' is one of Annie & Dave's most irritating songs but, hey-ho it was a massive hit!

What I really like about this Cd though is the fact that both of the 'new' songs are excellent and 'I've Got A Life' deserves to open the record such is its brilliance. Eurythmics at their very best, it has Annie's solo work written all over it but also sounds like a lost pop classic from the 80's AND one of the duo's lost studio gems. 'Was It Just Another Love Affair?' is not quite as awesome but shows the softer, more soulful side of the duo and coming at the end of this compilation it thus sits well with material like 'I Saved The World Today' and '17 Again.

Seeing as there is nothing here at all from 'The Garden', this album cannot be described as definitive but as a collection of Eurythmics classic hits and most popular non-soundtrack songs it is neigh on perfect.
Eurythmics made some of the greatest sounds of the 1980 in many genres, not just the standard synth-pop. Lennox & Stuart also made a major contribution in the forgotten band The Tourists before the birth of Eurythmics. Unfortunately this album contains too many tracks already available on Greatest Hits.

Some less inspired songs from the 1990s have been added. This really shows a lack of interest and imagination in view of the huge treasure trove of classic album tracks. The compilers could have chosen The Last Time from Revenge, Jennifer from Sweet Dreams, Shame & Beethoven (I Love to Listen to) from Savage, When the Day Comes Down from We Too Are One and Belinda & She's Invisible Now from the obscure first album In the Garden.
But for those who never got round to Greatest Hits, it's a worthwhile purchase. Every rhythm they took, they made their own: consider the catchy calypso of Right By Your Side, grand rock ballads like Thorn In My Side and When Tomorrow Comes or the perfect pop of Love is a Stranger. Their emotional range is unique: the chilling menace of You Have Placed A Chill In My Heart makes a stark contrast to the joyful exuberance of There Must Be An Angel or the powerful affirmative Sisters Are Doing it for Themselves.
on 18 May 2011
Alright, you caught me. I only did this review so I could use the title. I know, I know. It's sad. It really is. But I had to do. Well, while I'm here I'll say a little more. This is one of those bands I've always listened to on the radio and said one day I'm gonna buy me their best of. And then I've fallen out with myself for the bad grammar and use of lazy slang. And then I've moved on with my day. But I saw this bargain a while ago and thought why not, give it a go. And, pretty much across the board, I think I got a good deal. The tunes here are classics. And, of course, Sisters are doing it for themselves. The only song in history that makes me suddenly feel the need to clean the house if only to prove a point. Still this is one cracking good collection. And the songs, for all the synth, are timeless. I'd genuinely forgotten how much I love some of them. There is a touch of genius to these clever pop songs that lifts them to being something else. Something that you will hum for years to come. Much to the annoyance of people who live with you. Sorry, dear. But, on the bright side, look how clean the house is. (It's not my fault fellas, those three women sound so angry.)
on 16 February 2006
A really great compilation from a great band. Annie Lennox's unique vocals make this a musical treat. With excellent tracks ranging from the anthemic to the vaguely melancholic, plus the outstanding new single 'I've Got A Life' this album really is a must have! Superb!