• Smart

Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£5.49

on 16 February 2005
Ten years on from the first time I heard this album I can still slap it on and be taken straight back to my teenage years. I got my guitar at the same time as the album and spent hours trying to master the riffs and melodies that for me make this album a winner. The lyrics are cheeky and Ms Wener's voice suits the tracks to the ground. Every track tells a different story and helps to sum up the sound and feeling of the time that was britpop. Purchase and enjoy!
on 14 January 2009
God this takes me back! I still remember the day I purchased this CD. I met a friend on the bus on my way home from work who was telling me about some of the lyrics on it. I so desperately wanted to get home and play it (I was 17 and living with my parents at the time) but he dragged me down the pub and 6 very happy hours later I finaly got home and put this in the CD player......

Its one of the soundtracks to my most cherished stages of my life. I can't listen to this CD without being reminded of warm summer nights, the smell of lager and cigarettes, and generally living in a country that was happy and everyone was nice to one another! Stephen Bustler if you're reading this - thanks for a great evening - and I'm sorry I smoked all your ciggies!

I don't blame you all if you give this an unhelpful rating, as I've not actually reviewed any of the tracks on the CD, but I guess you just had to be there that night to appreciate what it means to me. P.S. I love you Louise Wener!!
on 15 June 2004
a perfect slice of 1990's britpop,a stunning debut,much,much stronger than the follow up, THE IT GIRL
on 28 March 2009
I revisited this album recently (think I bought it on the day of release back in my student days) and was reminded of what a blistering debut it is. Sleeper weren't taken that seriously in their day but fourteen years on and you can listen to this from start to finish over and over. The only downside is the artwork which I always disliked !
on 20 April 2000
Sleeper WERE synomynous with brilliant, spikey guitars, forthright vocals, provided by Ms Louise Wener, with lyrics full of witty observation and controversy - 'Swallow' and 'Delicious'. Best songs - 'Inbetweener','Vegas' 'Poor flying man','Delicious' and 'Pyrotechnician'. Terrific!
on 16 July 2013
Was never big on Sleeper in the 90's. Gave them a go recently and was pleasantly surprised by the results.
on 2 July 2015
Great album. Not so keen on the cover - yes, there's all the guys in the band, great, but where's Louise?
on 8 August 2009
Although the great band 'Sleeper' would reach its peak with its second album, and tragically, break up after releasing its third, 'Smart' is still a very good album; bursting with that wonderful 'Indie/Britpop' sound of the early to mid 1990's.

Of course, it is definitely 'Easy Listening' in the kindest sense of that term. The whole album washes over you like a pleasant but ephemeral mist. And five minutes after listening to each track, even I cannot remember most of the lyrics or the tunes.

(Teresa used to joke that I could memorise any song [with English lyrics] after hearing it only three times.)

But although it lacks the catchy tune of 'What Do I Do Now,' the impact of 'Lie Detector,' the empty heartache of 'Shrinkwrapped' or the soul of 'Statuesque,' ("The IT Girl,") this album is still definitely worth a listen.
on 27 February 2016
90's gold.
on 16 April 2003
'Inbetweener' is in my opinion one of the best songs of the 1990s, possibly even the best song. It's awesome, pure pop laden with hooks and with lyrics Morrissey would have been proud of. Buy the album just to listen that track and you will get far, far more than your money's worth. However, the other tracks are very basic, and sound like the product of a much more immature band. It's a shame Sleeper couldn't stick around for a little longer, as I would have loved to have seen if 'Inbetweener' was a sign of greatness to come or just a flash in the pan. On the basis of this album, as a whole, I have to conclude the latter. But I would have really enjoyed to have been proved wrong.