4.0 out of 5 stars 'we've got the vision, now let's have some fun'
Published on 12 Mar 2008 by William Rycroft

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice
Published on 23 Jan 2012 by LRViccary

4.0 out of 5 stars 'we've got the vision, now let's have some fun', 12 Mar 2008
This review is from: Oracular Spectacular (Audio CD)
Along with Vampire Weekend MGMT have been garnering plenty of praise and column inches for their debut album Oracular Spectacular. The music press seems to have it all sewn up at the moment, we're told at the beginning of the year which bands are going to be big and we dutifully go out and buy the albums and hey presto they're big (until the second album comes along usually) so do MGMT measure up?

Well the album gets off to a thumping start. Time to Pretend with its heavy synths and drums makes their intentions clear: to live fast and die young, 'Let's make some music/Make some money/Get some models for wives'. It's not just hedonistic excess though. The Youth is a call to arms filled with optimism about change which brings in strings to its arm waving chorus. As a Prince fan I was very pleased to hear his influence all over the funky Electric Feel.

The rest of the album is soaked in 1970's influences like Bowie, The Rolling Stones, prog rock and lots of others that I'm far too young to name accurately so your enjoyment of this album may depend on how much you liked them the first time around. Produced by Mercury Rev's Dave Fridmann it has a wide soundscape filled with warmth and depth. But most importantly it is filled with invention, humour and the vigour of youth ( having seem them on telly the other day they look about 15 years old, god I'm getting old).

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Star Quality! Machine Gun Mountain!, 10 April 2008
William J. Walker "Billyjay" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Oracular Spectacular (Audio CD)
What is it with all these four star reviews?
Shame on you. Unclog your ears and you'll see that if there is any justice at all these guys will be the Strokes/Franz Ferdinand of 2008 because they are better than either of them.
Unlike many other 'hot new things' these guys more than justify any attendant hype.

I saw them on 'Later' and ordered the album the next day. I hoped it would be good but didn't expect it to be this good. This is the first band in a while that truly manage to produce perfect pop and remain effortlessly cool. As other reviewers have stated, there are slew of discernible influences in their music, if you choose to go looking for them, but no particular artist or era stands out as a primary source.

This is that rare thing an album of potent musical quality that provides instantly catchy but durable pop music(I loved this album from the start and it's still getting better with every play).If you like music you should own this already.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, 23 Jan 2012
This review is from: Oracular Spectacular (Audio CD)
I'm not a fan of "indie style" or general band music, its only a recent thing I've broken away from dance as an umbrella genre and I think it's my dance background that has helped me enjoy Oracular Spectacular. It has some really nice synthy/trancey melodies and sounds and I'm really enjoying it. I loved Electric Feel from the moment I heard it and was a little disappointed more of the album isn't like it but its still good and I would still recommend it. Some good sounds in there!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Management have spoken, 22 Dec 2008
M. Speller "mattwareherts" (Herts, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oracular Spectacular (Audio CD)
MGMT mix of psychedelia, electronica and playful indie pop shouldn't be a mainstream hit. But something about it just works. It is an highly ambitious album, experimental and highly intelligent. Mixing styles of Secret Machines, Goldrush, The Flaming Lips, Sparks with the psychedelia of Pink Floyd and 13th Floor Elevators should give you enough influences to get a taste of this album.

Starting with the rousing "Time To Pretend" the album begins on a high. The opener was released on a previous, same titled EP, and is one of the more accessible tracks on the album. I like the fact it is a challenge, forcing the listener to push through their normal limits and open up to a new sounds and styles. "Weekend Wars" morphs two or three times in the single track, becoming a Bowie soundtrack half way through before breaking into a catchy chorus before it fades away again. "The Youth" is a slower complex layered example and shows their softer chilled underbelly.

"Electric Feel" and "Kids" are my standout tracks in a very heavily stacked top end of the album. Both commercial successes, both highly catchy indie pop records that are highlights of the music this year.

What I love most about it apart from the fusion of styles and the complex set of influences which are credited with such aplomb, is the uncertainty of where it going to take you next. So unpredictable and magical that it truly deserves it's accolades it has received this year.

A prime example of this is the almost tribal "4th Dimensional Transition" with its jungle drums and synth sounds followed by the acoustically led "Pieces Of What" that sounds like Mick Jagger attempting to cry his heart out. Beautiful sounds arranged and mixed with cracking lyrics - on an almost magical level the album finishes as it begins, on a high.

*** Like: Secret Machines, Goldrush, The Flaming Lips, Sparks with the psychedelia of Pink Floyd and 13th Floor Elevators ***

5.0 out of 5 stars Record of the year, 22 Dec 2008
Abi (Stourbridge) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oracular Spectacular (Audio CD)
With so many dull, bland albums around, this is worth stopping, sitting and dedicating some quality time to. It's fresh, exciting and hasn't been off my stereo since I bought it.

Without a doubt, my favourite record of 2008. Wholeheartedly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars unexpected, 25 Sep 2008
This review is from: Oracular Spectacular (Audio CD)
I bought this album off the back of a couple of songs I'd heard here and there. For maybe the first few listens I was thinking that actually those few songs I'd heard were the only really excellent tracks on there - the rest being ok, but nothing special.

Listen on tho!

Really worth it - some bits are growers, but now I am completely in love with this album!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the albums of the year, no question, 10 July 2008
Tim Woods (Locks Heath, Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oracular Spectacular (Audio CD)
I got this album after I saw their set at Glastonbury, which was outstanding. This music is seriously fresh and funky, I can't get enough of it. After a couple of listens you can't fail but to be hooked on the vibe. The best songs are Electric Feel; Kids; Time to Pretend; Weekend Wars; Of Moons, Birds and Monsters. But the whole album is just so stinking fresh. Get it, and go see them live.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deserves all praise, 17 Jun 2008
Danny Barson (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oracular Spectacular (Audio CD)
The first time I heard of MGMT was on the last episode of "Skins", the track played was "Time To Pretend", and on the strength of this, I bought the album.
I am glad to say its the best investment in an album I have made in years.
Like a fine meal to gorge on made from the following ingrediants of Bowie, T-Rex (marc Bolan) Scisor Sisters, and even a dash of Erasure, blended on a remixed soundtrack to Rocky Horror sang at Woodstock.
Lock yourself in a room and lose yourself.

5.0 out of 5 stars bowie + electro-funk + psychedelia + synth hooks to die for = oracular spectacular, 7 May 2008
This review is from: Oracular Spectacular (Audio CD)
I'm actually surprised by the 2 bad reviews this album has received because I've listened to the 'Time To Pretend' ep and Oracular Spectacular and have fallen in love with both. I originally avoided listening to MGMT because I believed they were most probably undeservingly over-hyped and a bit 'cooler-than-thou' for my liking. However, I'm sorry I procrastinated because now I literally can't get enough of their beautiful, psychedelic, Bowie-esque, electric gorgeousness. Oracular Spectacular is one of the best albums I've heard in ages and I'd urge anyone to give it a try.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top stuff, 6 Mar 2008
R. Sutton "gr8" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Oracular Spectacular (Audio CD)
Great from beginning to end....innovative, fresh, clever. Good to see new bands like this, songs to look out for are kids, time to pretend and electric feel. Just don't forget a band called FOALS