4.0 out of 5 stars Great in parts, like all her others

Published on 14 July 2000 by Peter Uys

4.0 out of 5 stars Great in parts, like all her others, 22 April 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Wave (Audio CD)
OK everyone knows that Patti Smith albums have great bits and "difficult" bits. This is no exception. If you want rock'n'roll Patti, set your CD player to play Frederick , Dancing Barefoot and So You Want To Be A Rock'n'Roll Star. Maybe Broken Flag too. Rock'n'Roll Star is the most kickass cover version ever, specially considering the Byrds original was pretty good anyway.
I still listen to Frederick with tears not far away, maybe because I sing the lines "When I lay me down to sleep, Pray the Lord my soul to keep" to my kids now in the same way, and they take it as literally as maybe it was originally meant.
If you like poetess Patti (everyone has a time when they might) then Wave can still do it for you. And like the recent Q review (box set) said, who the hell these days could summon up the passion to claim that a good gig could be orgasmic, emetic and euphoric?
This record stands proud with all her others.

4.0 out of 5 stars The 4th album, 15 Jan. 2005
This review is from: Wave (Audio CD)
After the spectacular Horses, Radio Ethiopia and Easter anything would have been a letdown. I love this album, however, for its great songs. Frederick is a poetic number with a lovely, hummable melody in the vein of Because The Night.
Dancing Barefoot is more experimental and rather haunting with an interesting tribal rhythm, whilst So You Wanna Be A Rock 'n Roll Star is a spirited version of the classic and Hymn is a fragile lullaby with Patti accompanying herself on a harp -it reminds me of The Jackson Song on "Dream Of Life."
For me the highlight of the album is Broken Flag, a solemn but powerful dirge about courage in adversity, about some early American heroine. The title track Wave is a spoken word delivery with gulls and ocean sounds and doesn't appeal to me at all.
I would say this album is essential for fans but not the correct entry point for someone just starting to investigate the talented Ms Smith. When it was released, the critics were unecessarily harsh - it has stood the test of time very well.

3.0 out of 5 stars DIFFICULT THIRD ALBUM, 14 July 2000
This review is from: Wave (Audio CD)
After the spectacular "Horses" and "Easter" anything would have been a let-down. I love this album, however, for its great songs. Frederick is a poetic number with a lovely, hummable melody in the vein of Because The Night. Dancing Barefoot is more experimental and rather haunting with an interesting rhythm, whilst So You Wanna Be ... is a spirited version of the R&R classic and Hymn is a fragile lullaby with Patti accompanying herself on a harp or similar instrument - it reminds me of The Jackson Song on "Dream Of Life." For me the highlight of the album is Broken Flag, a solemn but powerful dirge about courage in adversity. The title track Wave is a spoken word delivery with gulls and ocean sounds and doesn't appeal to me. I would say this album is essential for fans but not the correct entry point for someone just starting to investigate the gorgeous Ms Smith.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good by any standard, 16 Jan. 2005
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Wave (1979) [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Wave was considered a disappointment by the critics upon its release in 1979. But after the spectacular Horses, Radio Ethiopia and Easter, anything would have been a letdown. I love this album, however, for its great songs like Frederick - a poetic love song with a memorable tune in the vein of Because The Night.
Dancing Barefoot is more experimental and rather haunting with an interesting tribal rhythm, whilst So You Wanna Be A Rock 'n Roll Star is a spirited version of the classic and Hymn is a fragile lullaby with Patti accompanying herself on a harp - similar to The Jackson Song on Dream Of Life.
For me the highlight of the album is Broken Flag, a solemn but powerful dirge about courage in adversity, about some early American heroine. The title track Wave is a spoken word delivery with gulls and ocean sounds and is probably the weakest track on the album.
I would say Wave is essential for fans but not the correct entry point for someone just starting to investigate the talented Ms Smith. When it was released, the critics were unecessarily harsh - it has stood the test of time very well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sadly Overlooked In Patti's Early Discography, 22 July 2012
This review is from: Wave (Audio CD)
I think Wave, along with Radio Ethiopia are Patti's weakest efforts in the 70s, but that is because they are up against such spectacular works as Horses and Easter. When I got Wave, I only had Horses out of Patti Smith's 70s work, along with some of her later efforts. I think that this record fits comfortably with records like Peace and Noise and Dream of life in terms of quality. However, I was pretty much enraptured by each of these songs the first time I heard them, unlike the songs of Radio Ethiopia, some of which took repeated listens to get used to.

Frederick, a alternate twist on Because The Night, is a stunning opener, followed up by the experimental sounding, Dancing Barefoot, which has some great rythm and a classic Smith rant to end it of. We then have that excellent cover of So You Wanna Be A Rock and Roll Star, which really sets the album off in good stead. This is let down by Hymn, which is nice in its own way, but hardly living up to the scales set by this songs and others.

Revenge! is a dark, swaggering, dramatic track that really stood out to me. I especially like it when Smith starts speak/singing at the end of the song "You're livin' on my time, my dear..." adding some great atmosphere to the track. Another atmospheric track is Citizenship, but I aren't too keen on it really. Seven Ways Of Going is probably the least accessible of the songs on hear in terms of music, but I think that it is a real stand out and shows the record again going experimental.

The title track, Wave is probably even stranger still. There is only really singing at the end, the rest is only Smith talking nervously and I find the whole thing a mixture between cute and creepy, especially because of the piano and organ as Patti says "I'll be seein' ya." It also mimicks the sound of crashing of waves, which I think adds a great surrealism to this track and while I can understand that some will not like this, I think anyone can appreciate that there is some great artistry here.

So yes, this is certainly a neglected record by Patti Smith, epsecially in the face of the spectacular Easter and Horses. I would say that this is deserving of the classic status given to Patti's first three albums, because it rounds off this area of Smith's carreer and life, until her comeback with the mellow, Dream of Life in 1988.

4.0 out of 5 stars BETTER THAN A LOT OF PEOPLE THINK, 8 July 2011
Ronny Søgård (Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wave (Audio CD)
This album has got some really bad reviews, but I don`t agree with those. Sure, Easter, Horses, Gone Again and also Trampin` I think are better albums, but then again those are in my opinion fabulous albums. On this you get good songs such as "Dancing Barefoot", the sweet little "Hymn" and also the title track wihich I find amazing.

Sure, this album`s got some parts that are maybe a little weak. But over all this is a very good and poetic album. Much better than what todays so-called pop and rock stars will ever release!

5.0 out of 5 stars Milestones in rock, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Wave (Audio CD)
Now that I can afford it I've begun to collect records I DJ'ed in the cellar of our dormitory in the 70/80's. This is a excellent start. Fairyqueen-dynamite is a definition of her music I read just in local newspaper. Smith is still going strong and she had a couple of concerts in Finland. If anyone can create a new sun Patti Smith is such person.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dancing Barefoot, 26 Jun. 2011
Noel Leahy (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wave (Audio CD)
I love this album, but have been trying for years to find "Dancing Barefoot" without the spoken outro. Is it available on CD anywhere?

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 24 Mar. 2014
good

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Patti Smith album, 12 April 2009
This review is from: Wave (Audio CD)
This album was the first LP record I ever owned - I've bought every album as soon as they've been released ever since!
There's no naff tracks on thIS album at all - the whole thing gells together as a whole PERFECTLY.
The ONLY criticism I have of this remastered CD is that the two 'bonus' tracks TOTALLY RUIN the flow, feel & mood of the ORIGINAL album. So if you have a 'programmable' CD player, omit them for the ORIGINAL WAVE effect! A MASTERPIECE!!!

Wave