Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

on 7 May 2007
I've heard this album referred to as a 'guilty pleasure'. I agree wholeheartedly with the pleasure, but why the guilt? There's nothing remotely kitsch or corny about it - or about any album that utilises top flight session men, terrific songwriting and bang on the money production to give the listener the aural equivalent of lounging beside the pool, drinking a cocktail on a tropically warm day. Because that's exactly the vibe this album conveys: according to the liner notes, everyone had a ball making it, and it shows! The good humour is infectious....put on this album when you're in an average to depressed mood, and it'll lift you up.

Most people are already familiar with the singles - 'What Can I Say', 'Lowdown' and 'Lido Shuffle' and Rita Coolidge helped make 'We're All Alone' into something of a standard. But, trust me, everything else on here is just as good...and we also get the bonus of Boz delivering three of the tracks in a live setting, to prove he and his terrific band could duplicate the vibe they created in the studio.

This is an essential album of its kind and there are moments that can only be filled by it: buy it, keep it and treasure it, is my advice to you!
on 3 December 2007
Boz Scaggs was just about the coolest musician of the 1970's and Silk Degrees is the moment the whole world realised it. Every radio station in the US, UK and Australia etc.. were pumping out the effortless hits from this sublime album for more than a year after its release. DJ's still carry "Lido Shuffle" in their box of tricks and it is, along with the smooth funky "Lowdown", one of the defining sounds of the 1970's. Boy could Boz teach the current crop of phoney funksters a thing or two. But unlike so many records of the time, all ten tracks on Silk Degress are outstanding. From the opening bars of the hit single "What Can I Say" to the beautiful "We're all Alone", this is a journey of some of the finest songwriting of the 20th century. Its why the understated Boz Scaggs is a living legend, and one of the coolest ever.
on 1 October 2001
Soulful singing, beautiful deep bass, tasty drumming; brilliantly performned, yet not too slick or glib (unlike many similar albums from the same era).
I first heard this album when I was 5 years old. I'm now almost 30. I still love it!
VINE VOICEon 2 August 2008
1976 was an epic year for great albums - Eagles' 'Hotel California', Jackson Browne's 'Pretender' and J.D. Souther's 'Black Rose' to name just three - and 'Silk Degrees' is right up there with the greats.

Commercially, 'Silk Degrees' was a slow starter, looking like it might sell 200-300,000 copies. But DJs gave "Lowdown" a lot of airplay, word got around and the album became a five-million-seller, charting for 115 weeks and yielding three hit singles. Truly a breakthrough album for Boz Scaggs.

And this success was richly deserved. 'Silk Degrees' is a seamless blend of pop, rock and blues, classy, stylish, beautifully performed and produced. Every song is memorable. The album's tone was 'balmy nights beside the pool'.

This legacy production has been beautifully if subtly remastered, restoring all and more of the clarity that was so noticeable on the vinyl original but rather lacking in earlier CD versions. A great bonus here is the inclusion of marvellous live versions of "What Can I Say", "Jump Street" and "It's Over". If you've ever wondered whether Boz and the band could replicate the studio power of the songs in a live setting, here's the proof.

If you're not familiar with 'Silk Degrees', treat yourself. A great album.
A classic of elegant, well crafted music, Boz Scaggs’ greatest album includes great evergreen songs like What Can I Say, Georgia, Harbor Lights, Lowdown and Lido Shuffle. I think they called this style “blue-eyed soul� way back, but it has aged well. Of course his smooth velvety voice is a great instrument for conveying emotion and makes this album stand out.
on 1 September 2000
This is a great album, I love it to bits, it's got the romantic 'we're all alone', and the full of life 'Lido Shuffle'. It is one of those albums that never goes out of date.A rarity these days.
on 25 April 2015
I used to have this album on cassette, back in the day, but it has been buried away - perhaps even lost - for decades. The opportunity to hear it again as a digital download is simply marvellous!

An all-time favourite of mine, this is a brilliant album that really stands the test of time. From the catchy disco/soul opener "What Can I Say" through the laid back "Harbor Lights" to the much talked about "Lido Shuffle", Boz's voice - slightly reminiscent of the strains of Pat Kane of Scottish duo Hue and Cry - shines through.

It is hard to imagine that this album is almost forty years old (oops: that's almost given my age away!); it certainly doesn't sound like it - to my ears, anyway!
on 21 March 2014
The thing about this album is that it is a timeless classic and it has so much attitude. Pop, rock, reggae, blues and soul all seem to be here. Boz certainly knew how to write tunes and this has ten great tunes. Eight are written or co-written by Boz. The two exceptions are "What Do You Want The Girl To Do" (written by the wonderful Alain Toussaint) and "Love Me Tomorrow" (written by Boz's co-writer and band keyboardist, David Paich).

This is mega-star stuff, because every track is a brilliant execution of writing, musicianship by his band and great singing, both by Boz in his soulful Ohio drawl (I really love his accent) and also by his backing singers). The extra tracks are live from the Greek Theatre in LA and he sings just as good. In fact, it's a wonderful trio of live tracks

I never realised at the time of its release just how good this album was. Yes, I knew the singles "Lowdown", "What Can I Do" and "Lido Shuffle". I also knew "We're All Alone" - the Walker Brothers covered it on their album "Lines" after their reformed in 1977. Although I know Rita Coolidge had a big hit with it, I just forgot that Boz had written it! So, when I saw the album on Amazon, I had to buy it. So now, I have experienced for myself just what a great collection of songs are on it - not just the singles that we may all know, but the other tracks, too. It is just a joy of an album.
on 15 September 2014
Loved this when it came out in the 70's and I still love it now. Undoubtedly the best thing Boz Scaggs ever did. Fantastic white soul voice and wonderful songs and playing. The one Boz Scaggs CD every home should own!
on 6 February 2015
What can I say? It's Boz Scaggs, with an album which literally does what it says on the cover. Silky voice with smooth songs. Any fans who haven't already got this gem should definitely give it a listen.