4.0 out of 5 stars The Sting is Back

Published on 20 July 2007 by Sime

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars The Sting is Back, 20 Aug 2007
Nev Daimler (West Yorkshire, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Finally, after more than twenty years, the Scorpions have released an album of genuine quality! Predecessor `Unbreakable' gave fans renewed hope after many years of disappointing albums, but there were still throwaway numbers among the great hard rockers. And though no song on `Humanity' will force its way into the canon of Scorpions classics, almost every one is a winner.
The news that `Humanity' was to be a "project album", with all the Prog Rock pomposity that the term implies, must have shaken many a fan's optimism. Desmond Child being named as producer after Dieter Dierks fine work on `Unbreakable' undoubtedly hammered a further nail into the coffin of hope. Yet any fears have definitely been misplaced; for starters, the concept (dealing with "humanity", surprisingly enough) is so loose as to be non-existent, the Scorpions delivering the same lyrical content they always have. More crucially, Child has given the album a clear, well-balanced and muscular yet accessible sound that suits the modern incarnation of the Scorpions perfectly. Moreover, his pop-rock sensibilities have been an invaluable contribution to the songwriting, with Rudolph Schenker apparently taking something of a backseat (according to the credits) for the first time in the band's career.
The first half of the album is easily the better: `Hour 1' is powerful headbanging number which, along with mid-paced rocker `You're Lovin' Me to Death' and the driving footstomp of `321' sees the band utilising a more modern, nu-metal guitar sound that suits them well. `The Game of Life' and `We Were Born to Fly' are in possession of soaring, catchy choruses the band were once so adept at writing and even the formulaic ballad `The Future Never Dies' works well thanks to a sweeping orchestration and a nice retro guitar break.
Unfortunately, the magic of the first half isn't maintained throughout and whilst the songs are of sufficient quality to keep it enjoyable, a sense of unoriginality seeps in. Nevertheless, `Love Will Keep Us Alive' is a charming ballad, `We Will Rise Again' an uplifting hard rocker and `Love is War' a nicely balanced light-and-shade number with a fine guitar solo. Only `Your Last Song' falls flat, the cheese factor being too much to bear. The album goes out on a highpoint, though, with the serious heavy metal of `The Cross' (one of the best songs the band's recorded in recent times) and the excellent title track closing proceedings.
I've waited two months before writing this so as to allow my initial euphoria to subside because otherwise I would have gone completely over-the-top with praise. When I first heard `Humanity', I was overcome with joy; it's not up to the standard of their 80s albums, but after so many disappointments, so many flaccid and half-hearted albums full of mediocrity, it was an absolute delight to hear the mighty Scorpions actually packing a real punch and delivering an album worthy of their name. Yes, it's a bit clichéd and may sound dated to modern metal fans, but the Scorpions are not Queens of the Stone Age; this is classic, timeless heavy rock delivered with sophistication and passion. If that's your thing then look no further.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album but don't waste your money on the Ltd edition, 5 Jun 2007
The Scorps sound fantastic on this album. There's a great balance between the heavy and the more ballady stuff, and some of the songs are the best they've written in some time. Love will keep us alive is an awesome ballad, and by rights should be a huge hit. Opener Hour I is a powerful beast of a song that starts it off in good style, whereas the final one Humanity rounds it all off nicely.

In terms of comprisons to other Scorps albums, I can't really find any. It's certainly latter day in sound but it's still different to any other recent one.

Anyway, the main reason I've posted this is to warn people off buying the Ltd edition version. It's not worth the money. A 13 minute behind the scenes, a new song, which incidentally can only be played on the dvd and can't be burnt to cd, and a picture gallery that repeats after about 20 pics. Not good for the extra £6.

Great album though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece, 27 May 2007
Mr. Darren Joyce (Nuneaton ,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Humanity - Hour I (Audio CD)
Reviewing an album is totally down to personal preferance, However after a couple of listens I realised how important a release this is. Each and every song is dripping with hooks, And I feel this will prove to be one of the most applauded realeses this year, If not this decade.

The term 'classic' should not be used lightly, But if i could give this album 6 stars, then i would!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars album of the year, 14 Aug 2007
DEWEYJOVI (Huddersfield) - See all my reviews
The Scorps have excelled themselves here,this is a gem of an album and imo ranks alongside Lovedrive and World Wide Live as their best work.
To me there is not one bad track,no filler at all and with the title track the band have created an instant classic in its own right.I enjoyed Unbreakable but this album has a more solid,more modern feel to it,slightly away from their traditional style but not too much.
I suggest you buy it now,you won't regret it.Hopefully the band will play more of this album in a live setting than they did recently when they return to the uk,as they have said they will be back.Just one thing puzzles me,are there 2 Desmond Child's as the guy who's behind this album surely cannot be the same one thats done Bon Jovi's Lost Highway ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Scopions Record for Years, 17 Aug 2007
M. G. Chisholm "chiefengineer3" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I come from the era of World Wide Live and Blackout - definately the Scorpions best period. In latter years they have produced workman like CD's - nothing bad but nothing great either. This one falls into the nearly great catagory. Not quite up to their best but pretty good. Okay, someone said that there are keyboards very much in evidence - true, but then Rammstein use them and they can be heavier than any other band on the planet, so I can't knock the Scorps' for using what is available. Songs are polished and sometimes suprisingly heavy. Yup there are plenty of radio friendly tunes, but hey, if they don't sell records they go away and I'm happy to have my sort of band still around. Good effort all round.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not Desmond Child again, 20 July 2007
This review is from: Humanity - Hour I (Audio CD)
In the CD booklet it tells us that this is a concept album about "a world torn apart by a civil war between humans and robots". That may well scare you off but, despite the Terminator-style concept, it's not a bad album. Desmond Child (of Meat Loaf, Bon Jovi, Aerosmith fame) provided the concept and co-wrote many of the songs. I'm not sure why Desmond Child was brought in given that the Scorps last album, 'Unbreakable', was so excellent. I guess the last album just didn't do brilliantly in the States and that's what this album sounds like: an obvious attempt to write for the American market, at the cost of the Scorps usual distinctive sound. There's a real 'don't bore us, get to the chorus' feeling to these songs. It reminds me of Child's other recent collaboration, Bat Out of Hell III, which also sounded quite laboured and over-written. Although this is good, I think Unbreakable is a far better album.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too Much Desmond Child Not Enough Scorpions!, 6 July 2007
The Scorpions have reinvented themselves on this album, but what they have become I cannot bring myself to love. The Scorpions have drafted in Pop producer/songwriter Desmond Child and as such are have ended up sounding like a modern polished pop rock band.

The songs for what they are aren't necessarily bad, it's just the direction in itself which I find so Lacklustre. I suppose if I was to pick standouts on this album I would choose the opening track Hour I, The Cross and Humanity. However non of these songs are necessarily bad it's just the fact that their not Scorpions songs at all, for instance one could easily turn one the radio and find Kelly Clarkson singing 'The Game of Life' with its ultra poppy hooks. Perhaps rather worryingly or perhaps a tribute to the bands talent is that they seem very comfortable with this new modern, mature direction. Ah yes, the maturity, for this album gone the hopes of any big dumb rockers about Big City Nights or sexual conquest's and such. They have been all but replaced by lyrics based around, yes you guessed it, Humanity! So Lyrically this album is 'Winds of Change' updated for 2007.

However on the plus side instrumentally the performances on this album are very strong, with Matthias Jabs providing some very good lead work proving himself once again a exceptional and underrated guitar player in my book. Klaus, shows that his voice although perhaps not as strong as it once was is still in very good form. Also the new rhythm section of James Kottak and Pawe³ M¹ciwoda play solidly throughout leading me not to miss Francis Buchholz or Herman Rarebell with any particular intensity.

So in conclusion this is not a particularly bad album for a modern pop/rock band but it just doesn't feel like the Scorpions of the 70's and 80's that I love. But next time can we have a little more rock please? I feel really bad giving the Scorpions such a bad review but in light of such overwhelmingly positive reviews for an average album, I feel that it is neccessary. 4/10.

5.0 out of 5 stars truly amazing, 30 May 2007
Sam "msaa500" (York, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
wow, what can I say? since I have put my hands on this album, I cannot stop listening to it. Each and every has something to say, and it is all genius music, lyrics and performance all mix together to give a truly rocking listening experience. The best songs in my opinion are: The Future Never Dies, and Love Will keep Us Alive, all the rest are great songs. Some of the songs remind me of Within Temptation. very recommended, and truly great.

5.0 out of 5 stars great album, 6 April 2014
This review is from: Humanity - Hour I (Audio CD)
The sound here is quite dark and heavy slightly different from their previous work. the songs are nicely put together, the lyrics deep and the guitar out of this world!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Humanity - hour 1, 18 Sep 2013
This review is from: Humanity - Hour I (Audio CD)
This product was better then I thought, love the songs and have been playing it all the time.

If your into good music, I recommend you buy this one straight away.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›