10 of 10 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Ten years of great pop-country music
Martina's career started slowly as her first album (The time has come) did not sell in vast quantities. I did buy it - and I've been a huge fan of Martina's music ever since. Fortunately for me, Martina's second album contained Independence day, the song which really launched her career and ensured that she could continue to record high-quality music, culminating in this...
Published on 8 Dec 2002 by Peter Durward Harris
3.0 out of 5 stars ok
i quit likes the album but only bought this for one song but to somebody who likes martinas voice it is a good collection
Published 19 months ago by donnella jayne monteith
Most Helpful First | Newest First
10 of 10 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Ten years of great pop-country music,
Martina's career started slowly as her first album (The time has come) did not sell in vast quantities. I did buy it - and I've been a huge fan of Martina's music ever since. Fortunately for me, Martina's second album contained Independence day, the song which really launched her career and ensured that she could continue to record high-quality music, culminating in this Greatest hits collection, which contains all the essentials.
Martina has a big voice and uses it to great effect on all types of song. Many of her hits are upbeat, happy songs, typical of modern country music. There are still people who think country music is full of sad songs with not much cheer - such people should listen to some modern country - very different from the way things once were.
Happy girl (from her fourth album, Evolution, the one that really confirmed her as a major star) is not only typical of the songs Martina records - it also describes herself. Other great upbeat songs include I love you, My baby loves me and Whatever you say. Even in modern country, there is still room for the occasional sad song, represented here by Concrete angel and Love is the only house. Despite these songs, the overall feel of the album is upbeat. Stranger was not released as a single, but has become popular with fans, so it was included instead of Cheap whiskey, a minor hit from her first album. It's a pity they didn't include both.
Martina made some of the best pop-country music of the nineties and had some success in the American pop charts while maintaining her credibility with country fans.
8 of 8 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars More than "Independence Day",
I heard "Independence Day" on television and knew straight away that I had to own it. But I'm by no means a fan of country music, so I didn't have high hopes for the rest of the album. What a pleasant surprise it's turned out to be! The contemporary style is easy on the ear, even if you've never been within a thousand miles of Nashville, and Martina McBride's voice is superb. Most of the album is unchallenging, upbeat and straightworward music (and there's nothing wrong with that!) but a few tracks are subtler and darker -- thrown into even sharper relief by the generally happy tone. Try it, you might like it :-)
3 of 3 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars An Absolute Essential For Your Country Collection!!!,
I love Martina McBride-so naturally I cannot recommend this hits collection enough!!
It contains everything from her early big songs like Independence Day,My Baby Loves Me,the powerful A Broken Wing,Safe In The Arms Of Love and her first no.1 Wild Angels, to her more contemporary songs like Where Would You Be,Concrete Angel,I Love You,When God Fearin' Women Get The Blues,Blessed and her excellent socially conscious hit Loves The Only House.
If your new to country music or to Martina then this cd is a must to start you off.You will not be disappointed.
She released this cd in 2001, and believe me the hits haven't stopped here.Since this album she's made some more fantastic albums and is still notching up more huge hits to add to her next collection....
15 of 17 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Years of Fantastic Country music enrolled into one! 10/10!,
Martina McBride has certainly give Dolly Parton a run for her money over the past years as she points evidently at being one of the best country singers of all time. Boasting 5 no#1's and many more top 10 singles, this album is stuffed with roar quality! A fantastic collabaration of hits, and here's how they show:
1. My Baby loves me - 10/10 - A true country cheer up song with cheery lyrics throughout. A great hit with Martina's voice at it's ever best!
2. Life #9 - 10/10 - Great western tune with true country lyrics, you just want it to keep going. Great song.
3. Independence Day - 10/10 - A controversial phenomena with superb vocal and expressionate power from Martina. One of my favourites and a great version cover by Carrie Underwood(American Idol 4 winner)
4. Strangers - 10/10 - A beautiful ballad with amazing vocals from Martina. Great instrumental fading i noticed, really adds something to the song.
5. Safe in the arms of love - 10/10 - Another true western feel good which i personally love. Uplifting and understanding, great vocals too!
6. Wild Angels - 10/10 - Controversial once again, but still fab! I didn't know what to think of it at first, but the more you listen to it the more it sticks to you. Good
7. Valentine - 10/10 - This duet with Jim Brickman is really emotional and beautiful. Martina's voice sends shivers down your spine in this song. Beautiful
8. A Broken Wing - 10/10 - Another one of my favourites, but the great thing about this song is you don't need a video to picture it, it's pure and simple, and overall fab!
9. Happy Girl - 10/10 - A great country song with fantastic lyrics. I love this song personally, a great sing-a-long once you grasp the words!
10. Wrong Again - 10/10 - An emotional track that i love, it's really sad though, it really does send your heart to your throat, and i get overly emotional very!
11. Whatever you say- 10/10 - Her voice shines in this song, combining her pitch change with long notes was a wise choice, great song.
12. I love you - 6/10 - Very pop music, not one of her best, very cheesey. I think that's what put me off. Good try, but stick with your country Martina.
13. Love's the only house - 10/10 - A great song reflecting true scenarios, another good'en! Great expression used in the vocals too, enjoyed it!
14. There you are - 10/10 - A fantastic ballad that once again pulls at the heart strings, a moving ballad with Martina's voice reaching new heights of emotion
15&16. When God-Fearin' Women get the blues - 10/10 - A great country song. It's absolutely great! Fab vocals, a specific note hit by Martina is phenomenol! Lovin this song like!
17. Where would you be - 10/10 - An epic ballad that shows great hurt and distrust. Very, very, very emotional. Great song though!
18. Concrete Angel - 10/10 - Honestly my favourite on the album. It's so emotional and lyrically precise it just ticks all the boxes. Great! Really really great!
19. Blessed - 10/10 - A good latest song. A very poppish song, but still amazing! Great thought has been put into the lyrics and it has greatly paid off! Great!
Whether it's amazing notes, country kicking, slow ballads, emotional rollercosters or many more exceptional qualities you may adore, Greatest Hits by Martina McBride will indefinetly not disappoint you. This album is the best of it's kind in ages, so buy it before they run out! Because believe me they will! 10/10!
2 of 2 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars A Variety of Martina McBride Hits,
Martina really put much emotion and creativity into her songs. Some of my favorite songs by her on this cd are "My Baby Loves Me," "Independence Day", "Wild Angels", "Valentine", and "Happy Girl". "My Baby Loves Me" is a catchy musical number of someone being appreciated for her natural beauty (the guitar notes used in the song are notable). "Independence Day" is about a very young person who endures a challenging childhood to eventually start a new life. "Wild Angels" is a beautiful song about being watched over with the results of good luck. "Valentine" is a gorgeous song about enduring love. My overall favorite song in this greatest hits collection definitely had to be "Happy Girl" because it serves as an upbeat reminder to find anything to be joyful about regardless of external circumstances, allow your emotions to come out in a healthful manner, and to always strive to find the essence of happiness from within yourself. One the plus side I discovered how enjoyable "Happy Girl" was when I was on one of my walks to boost my joy level(I feel lucky that walking while listening to my favorite music always help to boost my endorphin levels). There are other good country songs on this cd as well(such as the dramatic but soul stirring "Love's the Only House"). This is a great collection to get if you like upbeat and soul stirring country/pop music.
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars GREAT STUFF,
A strong confident women, a strong confident voice, great collection of classic country songs . Dont expect anything else, you buy what you get!
9 of 12 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars you won't stop listening,
By A Customer
I got this CD after seeing a few of Martina's videos and hearing her on US country radio. I absolutely love it. Especially "Safe in the arms of love," which while admittedly is probably one of the more pop-ish songs on the album, never fails to put me in a good mood. As she writes in the liner notes, it's "ear candy." And "When God-Fearin' Women Get the Blues" will make you want to hop in your Mustang and stand up against anyone who has ever wronged you. Keep it up, Martina.
4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars,
Martina does a good cover version of the Greats.
5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous,
Great mix of music on this cd with something for everyone - really great to put on in the car for a long journey
5.0 out of 5 stars Martina McBride,
Am catching up on all the Country and Western music I couldn't afford before and Martina McBride is one of my favourites and this CD especially.
Most Helpful First | Newest First