5.0 out of 5 stars An Unbelieveable Album
I cannot stop playing this CD - every song is a massive leap forward from The Back Room. The first thing you notice is the 'size' of the sound - more expansive and widescreen than the debut, with lots of piano and backing harmonies. Tom's voice, too, has developed into something really special.

1. Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors

5.0 out of 5 stars An Unbelieveable Album, 15 Jun 2007
Paul (Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)

1. Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors

A great opener. A big rush of drums is joined by piano & vocals which then develops into a massive sound - crashing hi-hats & guitars.

2. An End Has A Start

Begins with a keyboard & bass drum, developing into Editors' seminal sound. Tom sings 'There's a devil at your side but an angel on her way'. Great chorus and guitar riff.

3. The Weight Of The World

A quieter track, as showcased on the recent tour. Uplifting chorus.

4. Bones

Probably the most typically sounding Editors track on the album. Could easily have slotted onto The Back Room.

5. When Anger Shows

Another quieter track. Nice use of keyboards and the way the drums 'step' into the track. Uplifting chorus with great guitar riff.

6. The Racing Rats

Possibly my favourite track on the album. Piano & guitar with digital delay effects then develop into a full-on massive chorus 'If a plane were to fall from the sky, how big a hole would it leave in the surface of the earth?'.

7. Push Your Head Towards The Air

A delicate track with acoustic guitar, vocal harmonies & piano. Possibly Editors at their most intimate, with Tom's voice not as you've heard it before.

8. Escape The Nest

Stunning intro which develops into a massive guitar riff & drums. One of the things that really stands out on this album is the quality of the drums on all these tracks and the way that Editors' sound has developed overall.

9. Spiders

A quieter track which starts with guitar. A very singable chorus.

10. Well Worn Hand

Possibly the saddest song on the album. Just Tom & piano with subtle guitar in the background. Tom sings 'I don't want to go out on my own anymore; I can't face the night like I used to before'.

5.0 out of 5 stars At the very least, this is as good as THE BACK ROOM, 10 July 2007
Although about roughly eighty to ninety percent of my music collection is heavy metal/rock (I have said it before, I am no music elitist snob), I will always like the odd indie/alternative rock band here and there, Editors are definitely one of those bands.

Since I bought this on its release I haven't been able to stop listening to it and it has got better with each listen (although it is almost always this way with me), there is not one bad track on this and not one album filler, trust me when I say this is not one of those first half excellent and second half album fillers type, this is in my opinion indie/alternative rock at its very best. If you like their debut album THE BACK ROOM then you will know that it had plenty of those can't get out of your head tunes and lyrics and they have done it again with AN END HAS A START.

There is something about Editors that stand out from the most recent indie bands, they may not be the most popular but I predict that in about ten years from now, if Editors are no more then I will look back at their music with the same fondness as I did with one of the best and most underrated indie/alternative rock bands of the 1990's, the brilliant MANSUN. I will admit that a lot of the songs on this sound similar but when the tunes are this good I really couldn't give a flying circus. OUTSTANDING INDIE/ALTERNATIVE MUSIC.

Just one more thing, I agree with the person that said avoid this special edition version as I don't know what is supposed to be so special about it, don't be ripped off, get the original and cheaper version instead.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magnificent, 12 Sep 2007
This review is from: An End Has a Start (Audio CD)
This is definitely my favourite album for a long time.

Editors have been a bit of a slow burn for me, I didn't know whether to like them or not because they sounded like Joy Division, but eventually decided that wasn't a bad thing.

I found myself rushing out to buy this the day it came out and wasn't disappointed, I keep listening to it and still love it.

It's definitely a bigger sound that the first album, which I like, and there's a lot of emotion in it - some of the songs made me want to cry, but in a good way, and I can't think of any other album I could say that about.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album - poor special edition, 26 Jun 2007
M. Townsend (Birmingham UK) - See all my reviews
The music's great, the whole album has one great emotional track after the other. But stick to the normal price CD. The Special Edition is just a card sleeve. Rubbish, no lyrics, no artwork. Looks like they forgot to include something - like an extra cd or dvd!

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost but not quite, 26 Jun 2007
This review is from: An End Has a Start (Audio CD)
This album is easy to enjoy but has a few faults for me that stop it being truly exceptional.

Firstly it follows the common practice of being front loaded.

Why is it that so many artists producers and record companies feel the need to put all the best songs near the beginning or on side one if it is a vinyl record?

Secondly in an effort to make the lead singers voice even more massive than it already is the vocals have been turned up in the mix.The trade off however leaves the bass on the light side.

Considering it is the same producer who did the recent Bloc Party album and indeed the same studio too,I dont get this.

There the vocals were big but decent bass too.Not massive,just good weight to keep the balance right.

Here on An End Has A Start, apart from the track Bones, the bass is markedly noticeable by its absence.

The Back Room has more bass weight although the overall sound level is not so loud due to the boosted vocals on this album.(Do a comparison if you dont believe me and also listen to Bloc Party too)

And thirdly and finally,that last track Well Worn Hand.

Just cant get into it I`m afraid.It might mean alot to the singer about his friend getting killed etc,but it doesnt mean anything to me as a song.

So I now have to finish the album on Spiders which while not being bad is nowhere near as good as an album closer as Distance from the debut.

All in all then good album but it doesnt blow me away like the first one did.

On the other hand though maybe I`m being unfair in expecting any band or artist to do it to me twice!

4.0 out of 5 stars When Brilliance Shows, 26 Jun 2007
Martin Coyle (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An End Has a Start (Audio CD)
I came at this album with some trepidation following some very negative reviews that suggested Editors had dismally failed to live up to the high expectations generated by their tremendous debut. How wrong they were! If anything, this is an improvement on 'The Back Room'. 'An End Has A Start' is a tight, cohesive album which, like 'The Back Room' is very immediate and accessible. Although the themes explored are heavy ones; bereavement and loss are high on the agenda, the songs do not alienate the listener. In fact, I found the exact opposite to be the case. It's an emotional record, which because it is ambitious in scope, manages to achieve quite epic proportions. The highlights? 'The Racing Rats' would make a great second single although my favourite song is 'When Anger Shows', which will no doubt become a classic Editors tune like 'Munich' and 'Blood'. This band have evolved and are getting close to greatness.

4.0 out of 5 stars A more polished and adventurous sound, 15 Aug 2007
L. Thompson (Lincoln, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: An End Has a Start (Audio CD)
This is an album of two halfs, one sublime, the other not quite so. Their first single Smokers Outside The Hospital Doors falls into the first catogary, a song that signaled the bands progress from the first album into a more polished and adventurous sound that doesn't dissapoint. This song is matched by the likes of The Racing Rats, while Escape The Nest is without a doubt the best song on the album. It builds into a chorus that signals the best of the brooding vocals sound with great guitar and drums to match.

However, for me the slower songs on the album aren't up to the same standard. While equally polished, and far from bad they just feel a bit forgettable. Even with this though this albums a improvment on the first, which shows great intentions to a band that could have an improving future. If you liked their debut then this albums well worth getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable, 25 Jun 2007
This review is from: An End Has a Start (Audio CD)
Expect Editors to announce an absolutely massive tour in the next few weeks, because if you loved or liked the Back Room (debut album by Editors), you are sure to love them even more, because this is an absolute masterpiece of an album, it in ways is even better than The Back Room.

This album has so many highlights.

Do not listen to the CRAP review in NME this week.

3.0 out of 5 stars Portentous, 27 July 2007
avl06 (The Village) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: An End Has a Start (Audio CD)
Amusing how the big Interpol v Editors debate culminates in this show down between their third and second albums respectively...and that I am disappointed by both! Editors have self consciously "gone big" - which is not something I mind in and of itself, heck, I've been to a few stadium gigs in my time, but, on this showing, "going big" means too many mid-tempo, dreary, samey, portentous "hymns for the common man". The dead hand of Coldplay has touched this CD. I miss the rattling post punk adrenaline of their first album. Some good moments, but I find it hard to listen to all the way through.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality !, 26 Jun 2007
This review is from: An End Has a Start (Audio CD)
Haven't seen the NME review of this album alluded to elsewhere but I did see a typical "they're getting popular so let's knock-em-down" type write up by some cloth-eared hack from Q magazine which can also be dismissed. This is one hell of an album and a worthy follow-up to "The Back Room" debut.

The 1-2-3 opening salvo of 1st single "Smokers..." followed by the title track and "The Weight Of The World" is as good as you're likely to get from any album, but the highlights keep coming. "Bones" zips along in a most agreeable fashion propelled by pounding drums and urgent guitar. Likewise "The Racing Rats" is another stomper with a highly original and effective guitar pattern weaving through the song. The majestic "Push Your Head Towards The Air" brings some welcome respite until around the 2:50 mark where things shift up a gear into one of those other-worldly glory moments. "Escape The Nest" is a live killer in the making, soaring ever higher driven by another powerful guitar riff. Things wind down with the last two tracks; "Spiders" drifts by rather innocuously but the closing "Well Worn Hand" with its simple piano/voice arrangement is full of melancholy and very lovely to boot.

So forget all the Joy Division meets U2 meets Coldplay comparisons from writers who feel obliged to pigeon-hole bands, Editors have honed their own unique sound that has become much fuller on this album. They'll have no trouble sounding huge in the arenas and stadiums that beckon. Suffice to say if you liked "The Back Room" there's plenty on "An End Has A Start" to savour. Enjoy.

An End Has A Start