5.0 out of 5 stars America`s Poet Laureate of music, 7 July 2011
Mr. B. Wood (south-east) - See all my reviews
I have been watching Michael Tilson Thomas` semi- educational programme on Sky, these are followed by a performance of the work discussed. Recently he devoted time to Copland and I am glad he did because he opened up a whole new world in my understanding of Coplands music. This disc is an excellent introduction to Coplands music and is brilliantly performed by the San Francisco band and the erudite (as always) Michael Tilson Thomas.
Rodeo is pure Americana and you will surely know the Shaker hymn that is included in Appalachian Spring. The only thing missing from the recording is my personal favourite El Salon Mexico - but that is pure greed on my part. All in all this recording is excellent value in every way. Buy and enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Copland; the popular pieces, 30 Jun 2012
This review is from: Copland: Appalachian Spring; Billy the Kid; Rodeo: Classic Library Series (MP3 Download)
I first heard Rodeo (played along with the Clarinet Concerto) in Edinburgh's Usher hall with the (then) Scottish National Orchestra conducted by the composer. I thought the music wonderful and went out the next day to buy Leonard Bernstein's recording of Rodeo and Billy The Kid. The recording, of course, was an LP and, because I no longer have a record deck, I was denied Copland until I downloaded this CD. I am something of a fan of Michael Tilson-Thomas (heard them a few Edinburgh Festival's ago)and I was not at all surprised to find this performance and recording to be extremely good. It is probably true to say that Copland needs a fine American orchestra and conductor. Here he basks in the brilliant sunshine of both. An excellent recording!

5.0 out of 5 stars American through and through, 27 April 2013
Classic American music, performed by american musicians and conducted by Michael Tilson Thomas. Who could ask for more. Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars An ideal coupling, 6 Feb 2013
John HOLLAS (UK) - See all my reviews
This is just the coupling I was looking for. With Tilson Thomas conducting the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra on a good RCA recording, couldn't be better.

5.0 out of 5 stars Copeland, 11 Mar 2013
Well I love it

I really enjoy Copeland especially the Appalachian Spring Ballet

Good CD

I have played it many times