Format: Audio CD|Change

Now here's a splendid debut discovered better late than never.
Jessica Lea Mayfield is a singer/songwriter from Ohio who, on
the evidence displayed on her album 'With Blasphemy So Heartfelt',
is no stranger to dark dreams of hollow howling behind the walls.

Jump straight to 'I Can't Lie To You, Love' for an immediate
taste of her troubled musical and imaginative psyche. It is
an example of uneasy listening of the very best kind. With the
keening discordant guitar lines delivered by Dan Auerbach
(Guitarist/vocalist with The Black Keys, who also produces here)
cutting through the arrangement like a hyena with a bad grudge,
Ms Mayfield is inspired to release some deeply unsettling sounds
of her own. Her voice has the capacity to make our blood run cold!

This endearing quality is sustained through some wonderfully
glum compositions. 'I'm Not Lonely Anymore' belies its optimistic
title with a melody curiously at odds with the notion of true
love encapsulated in the somewhat syrupy lyrics. The abrupt ending,
however, leaves us a tad uncertain as to whether or not this
particular romance ran deep enough to endure.

So too 'Call Me', another piece of cooly ambivalent self-reflection.
Ms Mayfield has the gift of amplifying those small moments of
existence which most of us have felt but might not care to acknowledge.
Loliness; fear, uncertainty; longing - laid out like a winding sheet.

The woozy strains of final track 'You've Won Me Over' seems an
attempt to capture just a little hope and warmth in the last
fading embers of the fire of her unflinchingly melancholy muse.

Not an album to listen to at the end of a difficult day but it is
nonetheless an uncompromisingly gloomy gem worth getting to know.

Recommended to listeners confident and comfortable with solitude!
on 24 November 2011
I first heard several of the tracks on this album on a late night radio show. All I can say is that: 'Well they seemed to be great at the time'. However, after a few plays of the complete collection, I am not so sure. On balance, I should say it is disappointing. Jessica Lee certainly has an interesting and sometimes plaintive voice, but I generally found the listening experience lacking that certain spark; It takes all sorts I guess.
on 14 May 2010
Produced (I think) by Dan Auerbach, its an acomplished album. Auerbach's bluesy guitar influence shows through and gives the songs an emotive raw sound.
I think some people might find it a bit bleak owing to her vocals. I myself dont think that, but thats because I think her singing is beautiful and honest mostly because its not pitch perfect.
Shes basically a less polished Laura Marling.
Maybe listen before buying.
on 23 March 2011
Jessica Lea Mayfield - With Blasphemy So Heartfelt (Munich)
Managing to sound both bored and haunted, 19 year old singer-songwriter-guitarist Mayfield sounds like she's fitted a lot into her short life. Not all good. She first came to light singing on the Black Keys' Attack & Release LP, and the band's Dan Auerbach has repaid her several times over by producing and playing a host of instruments on With Blasphemy So Heartfelt (top title, by the way).

With the backing kept to a stark, country, bluesy minimum, it's Mayfield's songs that must provide the thrills, and although there's a tendency to keep things a little single paced, there's no shortage of dustbowl emotions that litter the material. Fans of Cat Power will instantly recognise what's happening here, but the better songs, "We've Never Lied" for one, transcend any such obvious influence. 8/10.
on 12 December 2009
Her voice is absolutely gorgeous! I was worried it might be quite samey but every song has a different enchanting quality. Kiss me is particularly good! Enjoy this masterpiece.
on 4 April 2015
Her voice is haunting and beautiful. The sparse arrangements work perfectly with these songs. I deleted one track from my computer but other than that love this album. It does tend to evoke a very melancholic and somewhat sentimental mood though and if you're already prone to that then this could push you over the edge. So be warned, but the ebauty of this music makes it worth taking the risk.