5.0 out of 5 stars Real value for money
Wife has a Dell netbook (mini 10) and needs an external CD drive. Ordered this one and it turns up really quickly.
Plugged it into the powered USB port and 20 seconds later its working fine. Operates really quickly and quietly and is very light i.e portable.
A quality item and fantastic value
Published on 31 July 2009 by Mr. Ian Pardoe

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't read disc
Wouldn't work for me at all as it is incompatible with windows 7 and really needs to mention that. Writing this to warn people so they don't make the same mistake.
Published on 13 May 2012 by David

5.0 out of 5 stars Real value for money, 31 July 2009
Mr. Ian Pardoe (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
A quality item and fantastic value

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money despite some drawbacks, 7 Jun 2009
This CD-ROM is excellent value for money, though it has some drawbacks. I found it can't read a CD unless completely level, so if used with a laptop you'll need to sit at a desk. It makes a noticeable whirring noise so if you're listening to music you'd better play it loud. Apart from that it's fine and worth the money if you can live with the constraints mentioned above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says... !, 3 Dec 2008
This review is from: Duronic - Slimline USB External CD RW DVD ROM Drive for Laptops, Desktop and Netbooks
I also bought this to use with an eee PC - a 901 running Ubuntu-eee - and it works perfectly. I've set up the 901 so VLC starts automatically when a DVD is inserted, and all the DVDs I've tried play at full-screen with no stuttering or dropped frames. It also seems happy getting power from the USB port with no need to use the separate power supply that comes with it. The build quality is reasonable although not particularly rugged.

I would recommend this device for any laptop or netbook that doesn't have a built-in CD/DVD drive. Note that it reads and writes to CD, but is read-only with DVDs.

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't read disc, 13 May 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent optical drive, 29 Jan 2009
R. Benson (South West UK) - See all my reviews
If like me you have a sub notebook (Lenovo Thinkpad x61s) without a CD drive then this little external DVD/CDRW drive is perfect. I needed to install a new operating system on the laptop and this drive was was just what I needed. It is a good size, nice and slim, so not much extra weight to carry around and works just from the supplied USB cable, though there is an A/C adapter supplied as well. the drive is much more robust than I was expecting and should last well in normal use, though I don't expect it will survive being dropped from a height! its nice and quiet which is good as you don't want lots of whizzing sounds when watching DVD's in fact the only thing you will need to do to watch DVD movies is download a DVD codec if you don't have a software DVD player like WinDVD already. It arrived very quickly after ordering and its excellent especially for only 30ish!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for notebooks, 6 Jun 2009
David Powell (UK) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased a notebook to use in my travels as a travel journalist. After being told a load of rubbish in the high street chain stores as how to get the software on my new device it was clear I needed a portable cd rom drive. This was cheap, easy to plug in and performed the job perfecly, I was able to download word suite and norton anti virus

4.0 out of 5 stars External Slim CD-ROM drive for my Akoya E1210, 13 May 2009
G. Macpherson (France - not bi-lingual yet) - See all my reviews
It does what it's supposed to do! It is slim and lightweight but feels strong in its metal case. It's good to look at and comes with USB and USB/power cables and software - although my Akoya didn't need it. It means that I can load new programs from a CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little drive, 13 Mar 2009
mike-wsm "Mike" (Weston-super-Mare) - See all my reviews
This is a nice little drive, compact, self-contained, just the one USB connection. Ideal for netbook users to load software from CD or to do a complete restore from CD ROM.

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't expect this, 4 Aug 2009
J. Smith (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
What a brilliant product I was half expecting this not to work and thought I would be returning the item however it is marvellous I have just brought a Mini Compaq 702E and wanted a CD drive as I often I listen to music and wanted to be able to watch movies. I especially brought this in order to download software onto my netbook e.g anti virus, and internet security. It worked the 1st time I connected it to the USB ports and promptly installed the applications to my new netbook. I'm so pleased I decided to buy this product and would highly recommend you doing so also. Fantastic product so far I only hope I'm not disappointed as more use is to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 25 Oct 2009
A very good product and value for money. I found it useful as it was fit for purpose. I didn't experience any of the problems I read about it before I made the purchase. Delivery was OK too. Overall, very happy with the purchase and would recommend it.