5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent optical drive
Published on 29 Jan 2009 by R. Benson

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't read disc
Wouldn't work for me at all as it is incompatible with windows 7 and really needs to mention that. Writing this to warn people so they don't make the same mistake.
Published 23 months ago by David

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent optical drive, 29 Jan 2009
R. Benson (South West UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Duronic - Slimline USB External CD RW DVD ROM Drive for Laptops, Desktop and Netbooks
If like me you have a sub notebook (Lenovo Thinkpad x61s) without a CD drive then this little external DVD/CDRW drive is perfect. I needed to install a new operating system on the laptop and this drive was was just what I needed. It is a good size, nice and slim, so not much extra weight to carry around and works just from the supplied USB cable, though there is an A/C adapter supplied as well. the drive is much more robust than I was expecting and should last well in normal use, though I don't expect it will survive being dropped from a height! its nice and quiet which is good as you don't want lots of whizzing sounds when watching DVD's in fact the only thing you will need to do to watch DVD movies is download a DVD codec if you don't have a software DVD player like WinDVD already. It arrived very quickly after ordering and its excellent especially for only 30ish!

5.0 out of 5 stars Real value for money, 31 July 2009
Mr. Ian Pardoe (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Wife has a Dell netbook (mini 10) and needs an external CD drive. Ordered this one and it turns up really quickly.
Plugged it into the powered USB port and 20 seconds later its working fine. Operates really quickly and quietly and is very light i.e portable.
A quality item and fantastic value

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money despite some drawbacks, 7 Jun 2009
This CD-ROM is excellent value for money, though it has some drawbacks. I found it can't read a CD unless completely level, so if used with a laptop you'll need to sit at a desk. It makes a noticeable whirring noise so if you're listening to music you'd better play it loud. Apart from that it's fine and worth the money if you can live with the constraints mentioned above.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says... !, 3 Dec 2008
I also bought this to use with an eee PC - a 901 running Ubuntu-eee - and it works perfectly. I've set up the 901 so VLC starts automatically when a DVD is inserted, and all the DVDs I've tried play at full-screen with no stuttering or dropped frames. It also seems happy getting power from the USB port with no need to use the separate power supply that comes with it. The build quality is reasonable although not particularly rugged.

I would recommend this device for any laptop or netbook that doesn't have a built-in CD/DVD drive. Note that it reads and writes to CD, but is read-only with DVDs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for notebooks, 6 Jun 2009
David Powell (UK) - See all my reviews
I recently purchased a notebook to use in my travels as a travel journalist. After being told a load of rubbish in the high street chain stores as how to get the software on my new device it was clear I needed a portable cd rom drive. This was cheap, easy to plug in and performed the job perfecly, I was able to download word suite and norton anti virus

1.0 out of 5 stars Won't read disc, 13 May 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like a charm, 17 Jan 2010
Kevin O'Keefe (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
I was a little wary about ordering this drive due some of the less favourable reviews here. I'm glad I took the plunge anyway as this little unit is simplicity itself to use. I bought it for my Samsung NC10 and it seems perfectly compatible.

To begin with the unit looks pretty smart in a matt black rubberised coating that is roughly the size of a CD jewel case and twice as thick. It comes provided with two USB cables (although I only seem to require one for it to work - even running it off the netbook battery). It also comes with an instruction manual with a very basic set-up guide plus a small software disk. I plugged the USB cable into the drive and then the NC10 and quite literally before I could get to 'stage three' of the set-up instructions a message popped up saying firstly 'detected new hardware' followed almost immediately by 'your new hardware is ready to use'. "Mmm.." I thought,"nothing's ever that simple". Suspiciously, I popped in an audio CD (Pink Moon by Nick Drake if you must know) and lo and behold it worked fine. I then tried the first DVD that came to hand and again it played it back without a hitch. Flushed with success I decided to go for the hat-trick and tried burning a CD through Media Player. Again the drive did exactly what was asked of it. All of this was within a few minutes of getting the packaging off: no fannying around with drivers and what-not, quite literally 'plug and play'. Now I have to admit that I had pre-downloaded 'k-lite codec pack standard' in anticipation of DVD playback problems but I honestly don't think it would have made a difference. I think this is one of those rare occasions where something 'just works'. I should add that the unit although not silent is very quiet in operation (more so than my desktop) and burns at a slower rate. I'm not entirely sure that the drive could cope with a lot of rough handling as the tray, although not particularly flimsy, probably wasn't designed for this. That said these are minor gripes over what is otherwise a fantastic product (which, according to 'My Computer' is in fact a 'Philips' in origin).

Totally satisfied with this product. And I never did get to find out what the software was for!

PS: Thanks to EW Link Co Ltd. for the very speedy delivery.

[EDIT 18/01/10]: Arrrggg!! Spoke too soon!! Just tried watching a bought DVD of Fonejacker and it refuses to play. It just spins in the tray and makes 'tapping' noises (even though it recognises the disc in 'My Computer'). Downloaded the k-lite full version to no avail. Will try something else next. If things don't improve soon I will be deducting some serious stars...

[Edit 20/01/10]: Good news! Seems like I have a dodgy copy of 'Fonejacker' (although it will play on a regular DVD player). I tested the drive with a few other DVDs and it worked fine in all cases (both region 1 & 2). Talking of which when I put a Region 1 (USA) disk in and opened up Media Player it asked if I wanted to change player region to make it compatible. Naturally I clicked 'yes'. However when I then put a Region 2 DVD in and went to change the region of the player back it informed me that I only could do this a further two times before the drive would be 'locked in' to that region. Huh?! Anyway, the way round this seems to be to download the VLC player which doesn't seem to require any kind of regional stipulation and happily played both. Hope thiis helps.

5.0 out of 5 stars nifty,neat,handy little hard drive., 9 Jun 2009
Ideal for netbook without built in hard drive.Does what it supposed to do with ease.Well made, nice finish,comes with 2 leads and instructions.Very well packaged.I orderd in the afternoon, arrived the next morning.Excellent as usual with AMAZON.

4.0 out of 5 stars External Slim CD-ROM drive for my Akoya E1210, 13 May 2009
G. Macpherson (France - not bi-lingual yet) - See all my reviews
It does what it's supposed to do! It is slim and lightweight but feels strong in its metal case. It's good to look at and comes with USB and USB/power cables and software - although my Akoya didn't need it. It means that I can load new programs from a CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little drive, 13 Mar 2009
mike-wsm "Mike" (Weston-super-Mare) - See all my reviews
This is a nice little drive, compact, self-contained, just the one USB connection. Ideal for netbook users to load software from CD or to do a complete restore from CD ROM.

ARRAY(0xadf7dcf0)