5.0 out of 5 stars Great for EFL classrooms
I bought this game for my adult "English as a Foreign Language" classes to use as a vocabulary building and speaking exercise. As my students are very social and competitive, they love it! The game encourages creativity with the language and requires students to think on their feet. I'm very pleased with the purchase.
Published on 8 Nov 2009 by Cherokee Boogie

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun at first but very easy (For 5-12 yrs)
Published 21 months ago by 01zesty01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for EFL classrooms, 8 Nov 2009
Cherokee Boogie (Valladolid, Spain) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant for home or the classroom., 24 Jan 2011
This review is from: Don't Say It (Toy)
I love this game! No complicated setting up so can be played almost anywhere. We've played it for 10 minutes in the kitchen while I finished cooking dinner and for much longer, in teams at a birthday party.
I bought it for a 7 year old but even the adults join in. It can get competitive and very funny depending on how you choose to describe the word on the card. It's surprising how desperate things can get when the buzzer warns that you're running out of time.
It's a great way of getting the kids to be a little more creative with language. Story writing in year 2 can be a little flat when it comes to desciption. Playing this game doesn't give them the answers but it does help them understand what 'description' means.
Small enough for a big pocket (without the buzzer)so you could take it almost anywhere.

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun at first but very easy (For 5-12 yrs), 25 Jun 2012
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Don't Say It (Toy)
I bought this as a fun family game to play. It looked interesting and fun. You pick up a card and within a time limit with an interesting buzzer to end you must get your team to say the word without saying particular words. Unfortunately there were a few flaws. It was very easy and did not prove much of a challenge. It is definitely not for older children or adults. I believe it would be fun and educational up to around age 8 but that would probably be the limit. As it is soo easy we got through all the cards quickly and ended up on repeats making it even easier. The overall concept of the game is good but they should either change the suggested age or include harder cards.
The box - Looks fun and interesting. A nice size, making it fit well into our games cupboard. It displayed the age six plus which is clearly wrong. I would give the age range about 5-12 with little educational value for age 8+. However it wasn't bought for education but for fun so I think it would still apply up to age 12.
The gameplay - Very fun at first but very easy. We soon finished the pack of cards and couldn't really continue as we remembered the repeats. It meant the game was unplayable for a while as we would remember answers. The concept of the game is excellent but if you intent to play with adults or teenagers I would not recommend. An adult version would be a good idea.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tonguetied, 6 Oct 2009
Marlijn van Kempen (Leidschendam Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Say It (Toy)
I purchased this game for my group lessons (I teach English to Dutch people) and they enjoyed it tremendously. You have to become creative to describe for example the word 'waving' without using the words arm or hand or goodbye. That is challenging for my students. I think it is a simplified version of Taboo and very fun to play in groups.
Only thing is that there is a timer device included which needs batteries. We don't use it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for English group courses at Levels (A1-B1), 22 Oct 2010
= Durability:2.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Don't Say It (Toy)
I just bought this game for my English-learning adult students and they really like it. This game can be played successfully even by lower-level students. I keep mentioning "Taboo" in my reviews because it is a really good learning tool for upper level students (B2-C2). "Don't Say It" is "Taboo-lite" because of the cleverly designed card holder which allows the speaker to cover or uncover the "taboo" words. In the upper-level courses, we uncover them all and they are not allowed to use those words. In the lower-level courses, we uncover them all as well and the students are allowed to use any or all of them--it really helps them when they get stuck! I still recommend Taboo for upper levels, but you can't beat "Don't say it" for the lower-levels. The game is highly entertaining and moves along quickly. I highly recommmend it.

The quality isn't very good. The cards are ultra-thin--so thin that you can't really shuffle them like a normal deck of cards because they bend--permanently. The timer is strange--you have to use a tiny philips-head screwdriver to get the battery-compartment cover off. The buzzer is really loud and annoying. I say, just throw it away and use a watch with a second-hand. Note to the manufacturers: Whatever happened to the simple minute-sand-timer? Ah, how I sometimes long for the good old days of some things being non-electronic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great entertainment for the whole family, 15 July 2011
D. Butler - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Say It (Toy)
I have twin 6 year old boys and an 8 year old girl and the whole family can sit down and play this game together. With differing levels of difficulty available for each individual player it is challenging for everybody and really expands your vocabulary. A really good game that can be taken anywhere (adding the scores also helps with basic addition and multiplication) Hours of fun for the whole family.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good family fun!, 15 Feb 2011
This review is from: Don't Say It (Toy)
I bought this game as a family Christmas present and it worked out really well.

The games, where you have to describe an item to your team mates without using the words on the cards, is easily adaptable to allow players of all ages to participate.

You have the ability to change the number of words which you are not allowed to say, thereby making it harder. In this way you can have children playing with adults and with grandparents (make your minds up about who should get the most difficult one).

In general the game is not too hard so it is enjoyable and certainly kept us entertained.

It is fairly ease to get through all the cards if you play it for a while so there is a limit to the length of time you can play before words keep reappearing.

Would recommend for families to play!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great fun for a big crowd!, 20 Feb 2011
This review is from: Don't Say It (Toy)
Have had lots of fun afternoons with the children (aged10+) and their friends. Timer drives everyone mad though- far too loud.

5.0 out of 5 stars don,t say it, 15 July 2012
D. Lawson (yorkshire england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Don't Say It (Toy)
we found this game to be very funny and sometimes difficult to do but it brought much laughter to us all very good

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, 25 Jun 2013
This review is from: Don't Say It (Toy)
What a great way to have fun and learn English. I use this for teaching English as a second language and all my students love it. It's a great game for the family too for sitting around and having a fun games night. I recommend this for all.

ARRAY(0xa4611774)