4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back. We missed you.
Published on 8 Nov 2008 by P. Arentz

3.0 out of 5 stars Enchanting December
I must admit that I haven't been too keen on Enya's last couple of albums. I found them to be stagnate, and especially her last "Amarantine". But this album is a nice return to form.

Enya's been dabbling with the idea of releasing a full-fledged Christmas/winter-themed album for years now, and now, here it is. "And Winter Came" is indeed a beautiful effort from...
Published on 11 Nov 2008 by Reno Baldomero

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome back. We missed you., 8 Nov 2008
P. Arentz (The Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And Winter Came (Audio CD)
Not having followed news around Enya for a while, i only learned about this album two weeks ago. Altough i was of course happy to learn of a new album in the works, i was a little sceptical about the winter-theme, which would probably mean i won't play this album all year round. But as i love her music, i'm always a little anxious near the release date. Welcome back, Enya.

I received my copy today, and played and re-played it a few times. The first song, "And winter came" brought back the Enya-magic instantly. Also, on some other songs, her voice in the background sounds more 'angel-like' than before, which sets her music apart from the rest for me.

The album's first single, "Trains and winter rains", is very rhythmic and up-tempo. You either hate it or love it. I love it, can't see what's not to love, altough i was a little surprised to hear her sing about cities, neon lights and cargo trains, the most modern words i've heard in any of her songs so far. So there go my Tolkien-esque visions i always associate with her music. Nevertheless, i love it, and personally i think it's one of her best up-tempo songs.

All the songs are winter-themed, and about half of them are *heavily* winter/Christmas-themed. While the songs are good (including the re-recorded Silent Night) you probably won't play them outside of December. This leaves very few songs for the rest of the year, making this album rather short. As usual with her albums, it always seems we have to wait so long for a new album, and they seem too short. Of course this goes for any artist you can't get enough of, but it left me a little disappointed as it'll all be over too quickly after Christmas, and the waiting for a new album starts all over again.

This is the only thing keeping me from awarding 5 stars. It's still Enya, it still sounds like Enya, it's got several songs in all her 'styles', and this Enya-fan thinks it's good. If you're an Enya-fan, it won't matter what i say as you probably already got it. If you want a Christmas album, get it, as these aren't the usual carols (except Silent Night, of course). But if you're new to Enya's music, you might want to look for another album.

5.0 out of 5 stars ENYA AT CHRISTMAS SIMPLY FABULOUS, 11 Nov 2008
This review is from: And Winter Came (Audio CD)
Other reviwers seem to miss the point - this is Enya, not differnt Enya just Enya looking athe whole christmas and winter themes with excellent results. From the fabulous WHITE IS IN THE WINTER NIGHT to classic O COME EMMANUAL which sounds like a backing track to The Tudors. Enya lives in a world of simple vocal and piano arrangements and for that its great to hear. An unexpected and brilliant take on winter. Welcome back Enya

Now, if only Kate Bush would do one!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful calming Christmas music, 14 Nov 2008
Gemstone (Merseyside, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And Winter Came (Audio CD)
I must state that I love Enya. I am a forty year old stressed mother of three boys and find her music wonderfully soothing. I love Christmas, too. I bought this on the first day it came out and now feel ready for Christmas. I can see myself baking my mince pies with this on in the background and I can't wait! I am a Christian and find some of the lyrics magical. In the mad rush of Christmas, this is the music to play for a break. If you don't like Enya or don't like Christmas, don't buy it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The best album, 20 Nov 2008
This review is from: And Winter Came (Audio CD)
I have bought this album and cannot stop listening to it. There are a few tracks on this album which are my favourites but the whole album is great and I have listened to it non stop since I bought it.

It comes indoors and then back out to the car when I am travelling.

If you like Enya you will love this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 19 Nov 2008
This review is from: And Winter Came (Audio CD)
This album has far exceeded my expectations. I was a bit sceptical about the 'Christmas Theme', but this album is truly beautiful. I do not think Enya's voice has ever sounded better. This is the perfect album for this time of year, but i probably will listen to it throughout the year too. If only one of the songs on this album could be Christmas number one rather than the normal rubbish that seem to top the bill!

5.0 out of 5 stars So glad to have Enya back and as good as EVER!, 18 Nov 2008
Peter J. Hewitt "history fan!" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: And Winter Came (Audio CD)
I have been a Enya fan since Watermark, and always buy her albums straight away, i had forgot to sign up to her newsletter, so didn't know about this album till a few days before the release, quicky ordered it and WOW how good is this album!!
Yes it has a winter theme, but I know I will be playing this anytime of the year (I like to put 5 Enya CDs on my hifi and play them on random, bliss!) The first track And winter came... is pure Enya, the perfect way to get back into the Enya Magic, the single Trains and Winter Rains is in the vain of Anywhere is, again so beautiful, but the highlight for me is track 11 My! My! Time Flies! a bit of a new direction for Enya with electric guitar and a lot more folk than celtic, but it is fantastic, just makes you want to sing along.
So another wait well worth the wait!, will be played Xmas eve, Xmas Day, Boxing day and on and on!!!
If you are new to Enya, i recommend the best put together greatest hits album Only Time: the Collection a beautiful package and well worth every penny!
Looking forward to more from the Queen of Irish music!

5.0 out of 5 stars A welcome return, 15 Nov 2008
Mr. A. Whiteside "tonyjackie3" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: And Winter Came (Audio CD)
I have every album Enya has released and this latest effort is a welcome addition to her portfolio.'And Winter Came' is very much based around Christmas time which could limit it's year round appeal.But although what Enya does is predictable she does do it in a very professional way and continually shows herself to be an excellent artist.

The standout tracks on this album are the more up tempo numbers 'White Is In The Winter Night','Trains And Winter Rains'and perhaps my favourite 'My!My!Time Flies'.The latter actually includes a guitar solo and Enya singing in a slightly different way and I think that it works well.Some of the slower tracks 'O Come,O Come ,Emmanuel','The Spirit Of Christmas Past' and 'Oiche Chiuin' have the feel of being performed in a cathedral with their haunting melodies and again they are effective.

You do know what you will get with this album but I still recommend it without any doubts.When you have a load of Christmas presents to wrap up just stick on this CD and lose yourself to the lovely sounds of a special talent.She looks great on the cover too!I give this five stars simply because it is so relaxing and perhaps her best release for quite a while

4.0 out of 5 stars Enya is back on top form!, 23 July 2009
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: And Winter Came (Audio CD)
This Album in my opinion put Enya back on top after the terribly disappointing 'Amarantine' of a year or so earlier and my rather 'harsh' Review for that title. Twelve great songs here - opening with a classic Enya sound in: 'And Winter Came'.

Unfortunately, It's a great pity that this was a 'Christmas' Album, since the tunes are so good, but it is likely only ever to come out during the festive season. I'm not keen on Christmas or seasonal albums myself, but this is an exception. Enya sounds at her usual talented best, after what can only be described as the anticlimax of the century in 'Amarantine', and the one that followed the outstanding masterpiece that was: 'A Day Without Rain' (see my Review for that title)

Note: I'm knocking one Star off for the fact that this album is 'seasonal' and therefore limits playability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a novelty - very good CD, 14 Dec 2008
Big Red - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: And Winter Came (Audio CD)
Don't be put off by any Christmas novelty vibes that you might be getting from this new Enya CD - it is very good. In fact I would say it is one of her best, a return to form after Amarantine which although good I found a little odd and dull.

The slow songs here are top quality, helped by the inclusion of traditional music (shame she didn't save the Christmas tracks on the expanded Amarantine for this CD). There are some real stunners here. I'm not overly fond of the new upbeat ones though, apart from My My Time Flies which is a jaunty grower (and features electric guitar!) The early track order does jar slightly, with a traditional song sandwiched between two upbeat numbers, but I soon got used to that.

If you're wondering where you might have heard the opening instrumental before, I can help you out. It was originally called 'Midnight Blue' and to my knowledge only appeared on the Wild Child CD single. It's a shame this is recycled but it's a good track, as good as the other CD openers, so it has now taken its rightful place.

In summary, as good as her other CDs, no major departure apart from the winter/Christmas theme.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 27 Nov 2008
Megman "Megman" (Lincoln, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And Winter Came (Audio CD)
It's ENYA, so this album is just what you expect.

She brilliant, talented, beautiful, with that enchantingly haunting voice, so what more can I say.

And Winter Came
And Winter Came by Enya (Audio CD - 2008)