5.0 out of 5 stars Peerless
Never heard anything quite like this. It's haunting and magnificent, taking me on a journey round the streets of London I grew up in.

Published on 15 Jan 2008 by Twig

3.0 out of 5 stars Good. But not genius.
I heard somebody say this has the atmosphere of a lonesome walk home on a dark night - and they're correct. Burial sets a good mood for you to get lost in for the following 50 minutes.
However, it isn't notably different to anything amateur musicians are producing on Soundcloud for free streaming. (At times, it's actually a little worse, I'd say).
It's literally...
Published 3 months ago by Calum

5.0 out of 5 stars Peerless, 15 Jan 2008
This review is from: Untrue (Audio CD)

A muffled clatter of shutters, hissing neon lights, snatches of conversation and music drifting down from open windows. Late night buses. The last tube... And it's packed with emotion, the soundtrack to loners walking the streets, couples parting, doorway confrontations and confessions. Lush fragments of tunes overlaying irresistable beats.

Perhaps this is the album DJ Shadow should have made instead of the Outsider to keep fans of Endtroducing on side. But he didn't. It was left to Burial, unknown genius, to create this peerless masterpiece.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome album by a talented artist., 19 Jan 2008
This review is from: Untrue (Audio CD)
Fads & genre's come & go in dance music. Some good, some not so good. I've never been taken much with the whole ..... What do they call it now? Dub step/grime/broken beat?! I've lost track these days & I'm starting to sound like my parents did when I was 16 & listening to House & Techno music - 'It all sounds the same', came the cries as I blasted the likes of Derrick May, Juan Atkins, Frankie knuckles etc,etc around the house. I've not quite got there myself yet but it can't be denied that the boundaries & defining qualities of the (lets call it 'dub step' for arguments sake) sound are a little limited. Broken beats, huge D&B inspired basslines, vocal snippets. It's as if the artists are all singing from the same (strictly guidelined) hymn book for fear of stepping outside of the boundaries only to find that they might accidentally create yet another sub genre of the sound!

No such worries with this latest Burial album though. It has its roots squarely in the dub step sound but it's not afraid to step outside of the margins & dip it's toes elsewhere. The opening untitled track sets the mood - a brooding ambient soundscape set in an urban setting. It's nothing like you've heard on any other dub step record but it's coming from the same place & speaking the same language. It's a bold & brilliant opening that sets the mood perfectly for the rest of the album. I won't bother picking highlights because this is one of those rare things - an album that is a true journey. Every track has its place & the whole thing works together beautifully to create a cohesive whole.

This is an amazing album. The music on here is just incredible. Every sound, beat & vocal snippet seems to have been woven together perfectly to create an amazingly rich tapestry. It's often dark & moody but at the same time it can be emotive & uplifting. It's a near perfect balance & blend that's hard to put into words. For me it's as if every good dance track that I've ever heard, since those days upsetting the parents with those early house/techno gems, has been called upon & learnt from for inspiration.

For me Burial has made a near perfect album & expression of everything I hold dear & true about the music I've been into for the last 20 years! It's certainly one of the best albums I've ever heard. It's an album that in years to come I'll look back on as a true classic. Everyone that's ever been into dance music in one form or another since the early House days needs to own this album. This is destined & thoroughly deserves to go down in history with the best of them. One of the best, if not THE best, albums I have ever heard. Absolute perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the sound of 4.00 am..., 29 Oct 2009
Mr. N. Dulieu "nellee" (Singapore) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Untrue (Audio CD)
walking home from a club down deserted streets on your own, head down...dog barking in the distance...footsteps somewhere behind you...glass smashing down an alleyway...it's the sound of any urban city centre somewhere in the witching hour between 4.00am and 5.00 am...

It's dark and menacing and definitely NOT chill out music and yet it is somehow achingly beautiful and it truly breaks my heart every time i hear it. Like some other people have also said, i wouldn't even call it dubstep, it's so far out there on its own that you can't even compare it to any other genre. It's like someone got inside my head and diluted the sound of 20 years of my London clublife - house, rave, jungle, garage, techno, drum'n'bass - and then melted it all down and played it at slow-motion.

Burial, I salute you.

Genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic, mournful brilliance, 6 Nov 2007
This review is from: Untrue (Audio CD)
If anyone could be said to define the state of the nation, Burial would be that man.

This album is mournful, epic, and magnificent. It speaks of loss - a loss of what we once were perhaps. But to me at least it speaks of a loss of direction - not the loss of some kind of utopian prestige connected to a golden era. Burial speaks of Britain today, with all its gritty, dirty, messy, impersonality. He speaks of its faults - without forgetting its magnificent cultural, musical and historical achievements. His is a balanced, truthful account of what it is to be British today - an account with no words, just music.

Some people listen to this album and are put off by the 2-step sound and garage/R'n'B clips - they think they're listening to, as some have said, 'what a chav would play at the back of a bus'. But they miss the point entirely - Burial IS talking about that kid at the back of the bus. The kids who are a product of our society, whether we like it or not. He's trying to articulate the lifestyle of the majority of people living in this country - their hopes, fears, faults and virtues. There is no judgement here, just a condensed commentary on modern living.

This is definitely album of the year - what an incredible achievement from such a brilliant young talent.

And we still don't know who he is.

Absolute class.

5.0 out of 5 stars The soundtrack to modern Britain, 15 Dec 2007
M. Belcher (Essex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Untrue (Audio CD)
Before hearing this, I thought that 'The Good, the Bad & the Queen' was pretty much the perfect soundtrack to Britain as it is. But Burial, with this album, has far exceeded even those lofty heights that Damon Albarn & co. set a few months back. At times desperate, disdainful, and exquisitely sad, 'Untrue' is THE soundscape to fit London at in the small hours.

Without a doubt, one of the albums of 2007 and, indeed, the entirety of electronic music. This album sits comfortably alongside the greats of the genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not music....this is pure and raw emotion on a CD, 4 Oct 2008
Mr. T. Jutla (Hounslow, London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Untrue (Audio CD)
Im not really one for Dubstep and to be frank, Dubstep annoys me a little. However, one day this guy Burial comes along and changed my life. In a world of changing emotions one often needs a medium to "escape" as it were from life and the crap that comes with it. This is where Burial steps in.

This is quite possibly the finest bit of musical work to ever be made. Its not your orthodox album, it needs to be heard from track 1 to track 13 all in one go. As someone else posted earlier, this is seriously a night bus album. Burial infuses his trademark 2-step sounds with haunting melodies and a crackling in the background that makes this piece work ever more haunting....

Why am i going on? Bloody buy this...when your pissed off or need to escape from everything, go for a walk at 12am at night or sit in your room smoking a bud, put this on and youll know what im talking about...

5.0 out of 5 stars A great piece of work, 5 Mar 2010
This review is from: Untrue (Audio CD)
I played this to a friend the other day and he told me to turn it off as it just sounded like "noise"...

Clearly he doesn't get it. Whilst this album is not exactly chart-friendly, it is however extremely evocative. I prefer to think of the "songs" more like soundscapes to inner city urban life.

You get snatches of melodies, odd bits of dialogue and drums that sound like they were recorded in a box - all of which when added together with some more lush-sounding synths brilliantly reflect an evening drive through busy London Streets (or any large city for that matter).

I haven't tried listening to this album whilst looking out over countryside as I don't think it would work - but listen to it and reflect whilst on the circle line or the night bus and it's great.

Highly recommended if you fancy something a little bit different but still quite commercial.

4.0 out of 5 stars Soul-full, 9 Aug 2008
Realist (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Untrue (Audio CD)
I have been listening to various forms of electronic music since I was 8 years old in '88 and pedalling to the local record store to buy house 12"s, so perhaps unlike a few here because of that I'm not quite so easily won.

I have seen the 'saviours' and the 'geniuses' come and then fade. All have left thier mark, but few made music beyond a tune or two that has lasted much beyond the time in which it was made for reasons other than nostalgia.

Burial doesn't fit in to the previous category. What's on here will almost definitely deserve listening to again in 10 years time, and still sound interesting.

Because of media hype surrounding his identity, Burial has been elevated to a level of status he might not otherwise have attained, but if that brings music of this calibre and innovation to a wider audience, then all the better.
For the more discerning listener though, a lot of what is found here has been heard before: soundscapes, subtle strings for big emotion, heavily processed vocals and plenty of white noise; in some places I'm made to think of early Aphex Twin meets Dubstep...

Apparently Burial comes under the classification of 'Dubstep', but a lot of what you hear on here neatly sidesteps easy classification, which as with most music, makes it all the more worth listening, and this definitely is.
Not being a Dubstep fan myself (too much stylisation, too little variation), I dismissed this album before really listening closely and at length, but upon doing so, and continuing to do so, I have been rewarded immensely.
To anyone listening to this for the first time, I'd say Listen again, and again, and again... This isn't instant access music, like (in my experience) a lot of music that really stays with you, it takes time to grow on you; it's the kind of music that creeps inside you instead of bludgeoning you with it's presence.

Standouts for me are 'Shell of Light' and 'Ghost Hardware', these two alone would justify buying the album.
From 13 tracks, there are perhaps two that have me skipping to the next track, and that's saying a lot for a single artist dance music album.

Bearing in mind the Burial had no desire to be a part of the media hype that is now attached to him, and his only desire was in his own words 'to make some tunes', the one thing this album is, is honest and true, there's no pretention here; this music comes from the heart.

Buy this, you'll be humbled by it's sincerity.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's that good it really is UNTRUE, 4 April 2008
Dean Irwin "Beason" (Belfast) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Untrue (Audio CD)
I'd often heard the word dubstep being thrown about on the radio, in magazines, word of mouth etc ...but to be honest I didn't really know what it was? what it was about? could you dance to it? I had many questions as one does when they hear of something different and new. Through some research to try and find my first step (excuse the pun, it wasn't intentional, i swear!) into the world of dubstep the name Burial kept cropping up. So it began...

First of, I have to fully admit I wasn't that impressed on first listening. I did however think it was fresh and definetly had something new to offer, so I gave it a chance, and listened a few times. Without noticing the cd kept getting more airtime on the player, next I knew without even realsing it's totally under my skin like no CD before it, I really can't stop listening. I could try and describe the music but I don't think there is any point, any amount of describing won't help you form a realistic expectation of what you'll hear here. I can tell you it beautifully produced and audiophiles will not be disappointed. Basically I'm here to just urge anybody with an open mind to give this a chance, anybody who has had one of those relationships with a CD that you can't get enough of, totally understands. Burial has poured his heart and soul into this coherent piece of audio art, you can tell when it was being made it was all he could think about, and its the same as a listener!

I still haven't answered my original question, "what is dubstep?" I still don't know, but I can safely say I love this album and have found an absolute gem.

Thank you Burial.

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly stunning, 15 April 2008
Andy (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Untrue (Audio CD)
Ive listened to this album start to finish more times than any other i can think of recently.
My dad died last November, and this album almost became a 'comfort blanket' for me, I listened to it so many times. Just hauntingly beautiful and has a superb mood that just sucks you in and surrounds you.

On the surface, it seems like garage/ dubstep music with an unhealthy dose of depression, but it goes much deeper. Each tune swells and emotes with atmospheric brilliance.
Standout tracks for me are Etched Headplate, Shell of light, in McDonalds and Near dark. Theres not a bad song on the album.

Few albums ive heard work so well 'as a whole' than this.

Untrue