Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 February 2009
I heard "Shiny Toy Guns"' first album, and i thought it rocked, great songs, nice Indie/Rock/Electronic style and some inspirational lyrics and music, although it did sound a bit samey sometimes.

I was worried when Sisely came in for Carah (who left because she wanted to do her own band and is currently working on new material with "Versant"). However, despite being a Pussycat Dolls wannabe in the past, the girl can really rock. This is shown in "Ricochet!" and "Ghost Town", catchy, rock/metal songs which are just great to blare out of a stereo and rock to.

The album overall is so contrasting and dynamic that your left wondering, "What haven't they done here?". The first song "When Did This Storm Begin" is a rap/electronic song with a great opening (although admittedly, Sisely's rapping does take a bit of getting used to here), but then you move onto pop/inspirational songs such as "I Owe You A Love Song" and "Season Of Love". "Poison" is the song that links onto "Season Of Love" and is brilliant, it just defines evil and suffering slowly creeping in. All the lyrics are well thought out and great to listen to. The old rock and electronic style of the band is still there, they just proved they can do what they want with their style which is great and not many bands can do this successfully, but Shiny Toy Guns most certainly have. Buy this album.
on 4 November 2008
So many people, at first, will think this album is no where near as good as 'We are Pilots'. And with the loss of Carah, first hearing this album, you feel that the guns have down graded. After giving the album its time, you start to get involved in the songs and realise Sisely is par with Carah if not better. Season of poison has everthing to offer, songs like 'riochet' and 'ghost town' give it the hard rock edge, 'money for that' a powerfull anthemic song, 'frozen oceans' easy listening chillout and 'love song', a classic catchy pop song.

All in all if you are a FIFA fan and had FIFA 08 on a console, you'll love these guys whatever they do, there was nothing better than beating a team and 'you are the one' coming on in the soundtrack.

Highly recommended and every band matures and tries something new. If your a fan, you make yourself like it. Plus the guns still have a hot female singer!!!.
on 2 November 2008
I like many others wondered how the new album would turn out after the loss of Carah, but Sisely does a fantastic job in my opinion. As with Pilots there isn't a song on here I don't like.
It is hard to describe the direction of the album, certain parts are far heavier on the guitar, namely Ricochet! and Money For That (my personal favourite of the album), then others such as Season Of Love are extremely easy on the ears.
All in all, I rate this very highly and I think you really have to be a fool to dispel it just because you prefer Carah!
on 10 December 2009
At first glance you may not prefer this album to the fantatstic We Are Pilots, but if you look deeper and listen to the lyrics (this only works with the physical CD as the tracklisting gets mixed up otherwise) you will hear that as the CD progresses it isn't mixed just by accident it's actually telling a story. A very strong artistic story about a person's life, feelings, emotions and the track Poison is even about their death.
While the genre is most certainly different the art of the Shinys remains.
Give it a go...I can't promise anything but you just might stop and think about life after this...
on 3 May 2009
Looking at this song overall, I would want to separate it into different sections. Throughout the album, it feels as if the band are trying to be cohesive with their message, but fail to do so. This does not take away the fact that many of the songs are really interesting and enjoyable. There are a few songs that are particular strong; 'Ghost town', 'I owe you a love song' but the album overall is a good one.
on 15 January 2012
As a huge fan of the band I was eager to get my hands on Shiny Toy Gun's second album. The group had gone through a few changes since their award winning first release 'We Are Pilots' and had lost their female lead singer, Carah-Faye who was replaced by relatively unknown singer, Sisley. Changes aside, I have really enjoyed this album and it's a regular in my CD player and iPod.
on 7 November 2015
Turned up on time and in perfect condition. If you don't own this album give it a go. Heavier than their other albums in places. Ricochet is a beast of a track.
on 10 January 2016
Even without the amazing Carah Faye, this is one epic album.
on 9 February 2009
All I can say is this album was not what I expected at all and I doubt it will be to most people that have listened to the previous album "We Are Pilots".

I first heard the Ricochet! track from the new album online and despite the lead female vocal change everything was sounding good in the usual Shiny Toy Guns Indie / Pop-Rock / Electro form.

However after receiving the album it was a complete shock, I know all artists have to move on and try to develop a new style but it seems like Shiny Toy Guns have copied some previous rock groups and gone down a "generic" route.

This album seems to be more like a typical Nu Metal-ish album with a very typical American sound, none of the songs to me seem to have any passion or difference it's all very samey and nothing grabs you like an album should do (the tracks all feel like fillers).

I would have rated this album higher if it wasn't for the fact that the best song Ricochet! is only about 2 1/2 minuets long...

For previous fans of Shiny Toy Guns: A total let down

For people new to Shiny Toy Guns & into American generic rock: Maybe worth your time.
on 17 February 2009
I can't agree with Mortals review more.

I thought their balance of pumping electronica, rock and emo was something very unique. In fact 'Chemistry of a Car Crash' is one of my favourite songs of all time. I loved most of We Are Pilots.

However...

This has become completely generic American rock. It kind of reminds me of All American Rejects meets Evanescence. It has become so unoriginal and boring. I like it when bands diversify and change, but to me this is devolving. I wouldn't have minded if they had become more rocky, but they have just recorded songs that sound like everything else. I miss the electronic side of them so much, it gave them such an edge.

The new girl hasn't got a bad voice. I'm not keen on her rapping kind of thing though.

The only songs I can listen to on the new album all the way through now are Ricochet (cos it's short) and Money for That (cos it's not as bad as the rest)

Having gotten rid of a band member for this change, I don't think they are going to go back to the old sound any time soon.

Oh well......

At least I can thank them for giving us We Are Pilots.